Independent doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a link to one DIY indie band set up. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/technical-diving-specialties/334251-independent-doubles-hose-routing-secondary-position.html

I have done two seperate mixes in mine but (as some others have noted) not where either mix exceeds the contingency MOD PO2 (for me 1.6) and only on dives where I can ascend without effort (lake shore slopes). Even bailing out to 1.6 on a wreck where you may have to exert effort to overcome distance and/or current is a questionable practice. In that situation I too would sling the hotter mix. Here is a picture of Richard Pyles old rig where he dove with different mixes back mounted. You can see the degree of complexity involved. In your case remove the O2 tank/reg and call trimix air. The lines 2 & 6 say air2 but I think they are also his redundant wing LP hoses.

pylerig.jpg

Here's a link to one DIY indie band set up. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/te...-doubles-hose-routing-secondary-position.html

I have done two seperate mixes in mine but (as some others have noted) not where either mix exceeds the contingency MOD PO2 (for me 1.6) and only on dives where I can ascend without effort (lake shore slopes). Even bailing out to 1.6 on a wreck where you may have to exert effort to overcome distance and/or current is a questionable practice. In that situation I too would sling the hotter mix. Here is a picture of Richard Pyles old rig where he dove with different mixes back mounted. You can see the degree of complexity involved. In your case remove the O2 tank/reg and call trimix air. The lines 2 & 6 say air2 but I think they are also his redundant wing LP hoses.

pylerig.jpg
This setup should come with a free coffin or chamber ride, whichever comes first.

This setup should come with a free coffin or chamber ride, whichever comes first.

Or you could get one of those fabulous Halcyon body bags. :)

How deep are you planning on diving? I would recommend talking to a Tech Instructor that dives sidemount. Diving with multiple tanks/gasses and doing switches is not normal recreational diving.

Im trying to see why trim wont be affected with one tank more depleted. Then it occurred to me that you were banding them together in the plan. I was thinking sidemount I suppose. It was also before my coffee was done perking. Alot of divers have perished breathing the wrong mix at depth. I dont think the extra BT is worth it.

One tank being depleted shouldn't affect your trim. Just think of all the tech divers that dive stage/deco bottles all on the left.

One tank being depleted shouldn't affect your trim. Just think of all the tech divers that dive stage/deco bottles all on the left.
Al vs steel

I want to make an Independent doubles rig, one tank air for the deeper part of the dive and switching to a nitrox mix for the shallow part to extend dive time.
would appreciate some feedback from anyone using a setup like this.

Using twim alu 11.5l if I drain one side to about 1/3 of air capacity and switch to the other at about 20 - 30m depth would you have serious trim issues?

If this is the case would steel 10l's be significantly better?

What is a good and portable band system to use with this and any opinions on using one of the smaller oms wings, say single bladder 27kg?

Cheers

Original post was for Al 11.5L. Isnt that just an 80cu? Standard stage/deco bottle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom