Question Independent diving in Busselton WA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did speak to the local dive operator but they are really only geared for the tourist folk.

Hi. I suggest that you search online for suitable providers of diving services using searches such as "scuba clubs western australia". In the first instance, You could try the following three -

Underwater Explorers Club of WA
UWA Underwater Club
Underwater Australia - Dive Clubs - Perth and surrounds

There is/was an local online forum specific to WA diving, but was unable to find it.

Hi. I suggest that you search online for suitable providers of diving services using searches such as "scuba clubs western australia". In the first instance, You could try the following three -

Underwater Explorers Club of WA
UWA Underwater Club
Underwater Australia - Dive Clubs - Perth and surrounds

There is/was a local online forum specific to WA diving, but was unable to find it.
Thank you. I joined the UWA and will drive to Perth next week as I know a couple of shops there that might be able to give me some pointers. Might just have to join FB🤦‍♂️

Set up a compressor and avoid paying the annual hydro fee for any tanks you aquire down there. I'm sure happy will be more than happy to help you get set up. He even put a set of doubles in his truck to inflate the tires!

I'm relatively new in Western Australia myself so no expert, but:

UWAUC are very active around Perth, would be usually a bit of a drive for you (assuming you are living in Busselton?) No solo diving from the club boat.

Over time you do (partially) get over the price shock of the commercial boats considering they are generally a full day out with lunch included. AFAIK solo diving is not usually supported by the boat operators but I might be wrong. (I've never asked).

The recreational boat diving can be excellent. There aren't a plethora of shore dives, due to the generally exposed shoreline, but there are some nice shore dives around, given diveable conditions. Expect to need to do some driving to get to a variety of sites. If you really want to solo, I don't believe anyone will care what you get up to on a shore dive. It takes time to get into the local scene so don't panic. There are active FB groups for local divers (I'm not on FB).

I'm relatively new in Western Australia myself so no expert, but:

UWAUC are very active around Perth, would be usually a bit of a drive for you (assuming you are living in Busselton?) No solo diving from the club boat.

Over time you do (partially) get over the price shock of the commercial boats considering they are generally a full day out with lunch included. AFAIK solo diving is not usually supported by the boat operators but I might be wrong. (I've never asked).

The recreational boat diving can be excellent. There aren't a plethora of shore dives, due to the generally exposed shoreline, but there are some nice shore dives around, given diveable conditions. Expect to need to do some driving to get to a variety of sites. If you really want to solo, I don't believe anyone will care what you get up to on a shore dive. It takes time to get into the local scene so don't panic. There are active FB groups for local divers (I'm not on FB).
Thanks a bunch for your detailed reply.

Went out driving along the coast today looking for possible places I can dive solo walking in off the beach. Think I've found 2 places that look pretty good, viz looks to be spectacular, depth pretty shallow but I'm ok with that. They have signs mentioning scuba diving so looks to be acceptable to dive there.

I'm not looking for the best dive spot in the world, I'm happy as long as I can walk in off the beach and dive for an hour or so, conditions as long as dive-able is good enough, if I see cool marine life it's a bonus but I'm ok seeing nothing. I just like to be in the water.

Feeling more positive today, if I can find just one spot I can call my local, I'll be super happy.

I'll drive out there again and take some photos, scenery is really quite spectacular, water very clear turquoise. It's in a somewhat sheltered bay so looks like it'd be ok unless extreme weather hits.

Been accosting anyone I see loading a boat to see if they know anything but thus far all have been visitors no locals.

I'll likely start hiring some tanks and do my own recon missions over the next few weeks.

I don't do FB either but might for info gathering purposes.

Yes, currently parked up in Busselton.

Apparently people dive off the side of the pier, I'll keep an eye out for them.

@lexvil i think you are right, cheers for the encouragement.

Thing is all the stuff is here

1674200973235.png

and I'm going legit and doing a cave course next week, courses love em

Yeah M10 all thread through the tub with big arse washers
Check out the limestone road dust, just sealed the tailgate

024.JPG

I'm coming I'm coming but I'll be late

28 038 (2).JPG

with snorkels

Thing is all the stuff is here

View attachment 765209

and I'm going legit and doing a cave course next week, courses love em

Yeah M10 all thread through the tub with big arse washers
Check out the limestone road dust, just sealed the tailgate

View attachment 765211

I'm coming I'm coming but I'll be late
What's your water temp currently? What's the nearest airport?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom