Incredibly beautiful reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppbon

Registered
Reaction score
I spent three hours yesterday snorkeling at Craysfort Reef off of Key Largo.
For those interested the mooring buoys are at: 25 13.80N and 80 12.74W.
Part of the reef was very shallow, where some of the coral was out of the water in places.
Next to the Lighthouse Tower it's 3' to 20' but I hadn't seen that much aquatic life anywhere.
We saw three or four schools of Barracudas (6-12 in each group0 ranging from 3' to 7'+.
Very brightly colored Parrots, some well over 10 lbs. Most were so large that they had decent sized remoras attached.
Also probably the largest Florida Spiny Lobster I've seen as well was just taking a stroll on the sand with no where to hide. When it saw me it just froze.
Just east of the tower it gets deeper with a white sandy bottom and patches of coral. Depth (east of the Tower) is 20' to 75' and then it drops off to 100++.
When we arrived at the site I was sorry not to have brought my SCUBA gear, just fins, mask and snorkel, but now I'm glad I didn't.
Sometimes it good to see the reefs in really shallow water, especially on a super clear day as yesterday. The colors and sights were unbelievable.
I highly recommend it.
Happy diving,
Pedro

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom