Incidents compounded ... you ever have one of these dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBuoy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I went diving the other night with a long time buddy (over 200 dives) and he brought along a friend, whom I'd never met. There is no need to embarass anyone here, so names left out of course. He was an experienced diver and came with an enriched air cylinder, DUI dry suit, and the usual fair of quality choice equipment.

But you know the old saying when it rains it pours. This poor guy just had so many problems right off the bat, while we were all three suiting up he realized he'd forgotton to bring his (1) gloves, no biggie with water temp only 57 degrees (well not the most comfortable of course, but not a show stopper), but he was out with us to hunt lobster, so not remembering the gloves was a big deal. Then he realized he also forgot his (2) gamebag. But he decided to bring a speargun and go for a halibut instead. After he was fully donned he asked me to please turn on his (3) air, hmm this has certainly raised my curiousity.

So we are walking toward the site he mentioneds, hope its not too cold to dive without a (4) hood. After we go down on the bottom trying to get everyone grouped he doesn't respond to my light signal for ok, so I hold out my hand in my dive light with an ok symbol, still no response (5??). Yet he starts off swimming like normal, looking under ledges and touching the kelp strands, so he seems just fine. Not two minutes into the dive he is struggling with a (6) mask leak. During the dive he takes it off or floods and clears it a dozen times. At one point in about 18 feet of water, I again try to get a sign of ok with my dive light. He responds by (7) ascending, normal speed? I signal my usual buddy that he's ended the dive and left us, so we immediately ascend. On the surface we ask why he ascended, he indicates he thought I was indicating to ascend by "wiggling" my light (ok my fault, I should have performed a night signal review on the beach) so i'll just drop this one and take blame but a slow gentle circle means ascend? In which culture is that true?

We decide since we hadn't hit the third reef we'll surface swim to the reef and decend again, we all have over 2400psi still in our cylinders so it's cool. We go back down enjoy a decent dive and since the plan was start back in toward shore at a certain PSI we all get together and indicate head in. He's got more mask trouble but to add to it, he's using his drysuit as his sole method of inflation just like a good PADI student ... creating a huge unstable hindenburg underwater. Several times he (8) uprighted himself and had to frantically kick to right himself again in the water. On our way back in I took point, I had taken a reciprocal earlier, and guided the group toward this rather narrow beach our ending point. Considering we were out about 6 football fields from shore, it takes a bit of precision. Plus the water was quite surgy, so there was constant course correction. About 5 minutes into the trip to shore, there is a dive light signal from behind us flashing and waving frantically back and forth. My buddy and I swim back about 20 feet under the water and our new friend is completely on his back, tank to the sand pointing his light at his fin, the (9) strap had come off the heel peg, the fin was still on his foot. ok harder than usual to do underwater, but at the least you take the fin entirely off reattach, unbuckle and put it back on. He waited while we reattached the fin. At this point the PSI on my buddy was the low mark in the group we decided to surface. We had a rediculously long swim back to shore, fighting a strong out-to-sea current, instead of a much smoother ride underwater. As we are coming back in our friend is recounting all the things that have gone wrong on this dive, and though we have brought our second tanks to the beach, he's asked us to let him bail. Of course no question he should, too much anxiety for one dive. As we are almost in shore, he comments something about "never forget you can't pee in a dry suit" (dare I say 10?) I decided not to probe further. I told him we'd both really look forward to the next dive with him, sincerely, because I know he'll be wanting to get back in soon to erase this one from memory.

Ever just had "one" of those dives? I guess I've been fortunate, a dive this compounded with trouble has never occured to me ... at least not yet. I once forgot my Suunto Cobra (quick disconnect mental lapse), but I had my Cochran, so forgetting either one is just redundant, and I'm a table fanatic even if I forgot both. Still even this only happened to me once. But never have I had just about EVERYTHING go wrong in the same dive. How about you?

Well, there was the dive I did with my newly certified friend, who was borrowing gear she was unfamiliar with, where I spent over an hour swimming back and forth between water deep enough to descend and the shore (at this particular site, quite a distance), where I could pick up MORE weight to put on her. We then did a 15 minute dive at a maximum of 10 fsw and called it a day.

And there was my 50th dive, where having my light fail to strike was about the dozenth thing that had gone wrong before the dive even started (including forgetting my computer). I came close to scrubbing that one, and it would have been a mistake.

Statistically, keep at it long enough, and you're eventually going to flip ten tails in a row :)

TSandM:
Well, there was the dive I did with my newly certified friend, who was borrowing gear she was unfamiliar with, where I spent over an hour swimming back and forth between water deep enough to descend and the shore (at this particular site, quite a distance), where I could pick up MORE weight to put on her. We then did a 15 minute dive at a maximum of 10 fsw and called it a day.

And there was my 50th dive, where having my light fail to strike was about the dozenth thing that had gone wrong before the dive even started (including forgetting my computer). I came close to scrubbing that one, and it would have been a mistake.

Statistically, keep at it long enough, and you're eventually going to flip ten tails in a row :)

I've had batteries go out, and even one bulb. I always have a spare and most often 2. These are things to definitely be prepared for :).

Oh, I had a spare. It was just that, by the time the light didn't strike, I was beginning to think somebody was trying to tell me something.

DiverBuoy,
I have a sneaky suspicion that the diver in question is never going to be allowed to forget what happened :)

<smile> Fortunately, he indicated he doesn't post here... After he left the site I discussed making this post with my buddy (who introduced me to the "new" guy) he only smiled. My buddy does post here, though infrequently. Honestly I think there is something to be learned in just about everything we do, this guy is pretty cool headed, who knows what he'd think. The only way the whistle will blow is my buddy posts something.

When a buddy doesn't respond to a light signal, rescue them whether they want it or not. Make it an uncomfortable rescue so the pay better attention next time. I don't wait until I get to the bottom to find out if a team member is paying attention/ok either. We descend face to face or shoulder to shoulder communicating throughout the descnt.

DB, did the 3 of you discuss the dive afterwards? After he surfaced in response to your light signal did you go over signal with him?

Not all dives go perfectly. There are equipment failures, misunderstanding in communication and who know what else. Before a dive we (Those I dive with and myself) take turnes each briefing the dive to make sure every one is on the same page. After the dive, we take turnes debriefing the dive so that every one gets to comment on the good and the bad. That way, good things are flaged so they can be repeated and problems or mistakes are flagged so they can be avoided in the future.

Actually, not to derail this thread, which I think was originally meant rather whimsically, but one of the useful things I learned in Fundies was the concept that you don't just go over signals before you dive . . . you go over the expected RESPONSE to signals. Some of the frustrating communications problems I've had underwater would have been avoided completely if everybody had been clear on that.

MikeFerrara:
When a buddy doesn't respond to a light signal, rescue them whether they want it or not. Make it an uncomfortable rescue so the pay better attention next time. I don't wait until I get to the bottom to find out if a team member is paying attention/ok either. We descend face to face or shoulder to shoulder communicating throughout the descnt.

I assume you have permission to "rescue" your buddies "uncomfortably" in such a situation.

Back
Top Bottom