Incidents compounded ... you ever have one of these dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tiburon72157:
is there any way to tell who wins a peeing contest underwater? ...

Yeah, it's quite easy to tell who wins a pissing contest underwater. The one that is up-current is the clear winner. Although the one downcurrent gets a nice warm feeling for a little bit:D....not that I would know...it's just what I have heard

tiburon72157:
does more shrinkage occur in cold fresh water or cold salt water? ...

Do not know. Never looked down the trunks to see if there is a difference. Oops, u must be talking wet suits....sorry :sorry19z:

how we dive is contra to most folks. the first rule is to signal when you are in absolute trouble only. this stuff of babysitting other divers, as well as accomodating many dc algorithms involving air usage, is a huge pain as well. to improve the fun level of your dive considerably, don't let your dc run the whole trip for you...yo can adlib some under water, but largely if your experience level permits. and don't waste your time by doing the ok hand sign, light circles, etc. every 5 min. like many anal instructors do. it gets real old...real fast. especially among experienced divers. in our group we assume there isn't a problem until someone let's know there there actually is. Then we close ranks and handle business quickly. safety, efficiency and a very productive overall planfor a relaxing fun dive.

321 of the other two divers involved this discussuion, we

tiburon72157:
how we dive is contra to most folks. the first rule is to signal when you are in absolute trouble only. this stuff of babysitting other divers, as well as accomodating many dc algorithms involving air usage, is a huge pain as well. to improve the fun level of your dive considerably, don't let your dc run the whole trip for you...yo can adlib some under water, but largely if your experience level permits. and don't waste your time by doing the ok hand sign, light circles, etc. every 5 min. like many anal instructors do. it gets real old...real fast. especially among experienced divers. in our group we assume there isn't a problem until someone let's know there there actually is. Then we close ranks and handle business quickly. safety, efficiency and a very productive overall planfor a relaxing fun dive.

321 of the other two divers involved this discussuion, we

Well remember the light moving along systematically (in use) by your buddy is a constant feedback during a night dive. That is to say it's easy to quickly see when something is not right from irradic movement of the light or total stoppage. However, this "anal retentive instructor" has on more than one occasion been in disagreement as to the need for more frequent feedback underwater. Which is why I also "push" the Sea Signs underwater signing system to allow divers really to keep in "constant" communication during the dive. And tiburon72157 you also know that I carry a slate full time - the number of times you've reached for it, I've lost count. :14:

Rick Inman:
Last Sat...

I forgot to don my weight belt and had to return to the truck for it.

My buddies re breather computer cables were reversed and I had to tear it apart on his back and re-rout.

My left glove flooded (liner stuck in seal) and we surfaced. My buddies primary wouldn't strike.

The little flashing light thingy of his HUD kept falling out of the clip.

We went down... we came back up... we went down... we came back up. The air temp was about 19 degrees and the water temp was about 42.

"Maybe this is one of those dives we shouldn't make, " he suggested.

"Wanna bag it?"

"Let's give it one more shot."

As we were dropping down the wall which goes from 12' to 130', his backup light dimmed out. I gave him mine.

The rest of the dive was wonderful, except my wet hand started hurting 40 mins into the dive, so I called it then.

As to weight, my betters are already discussing this, but I'll give my 2 cents.

When I dive in S. CA later this month, I'll be diving a gear a different configuration - AL80 with my BP/W, drysuit and less undies (AL 80?? Ugh...). Before I jump off the boat into Catalina waters, I'll make my "best guess" as to weighting. My weight check will be to let a little air out of my BC before we actually descend. From experience, I should be able to tell how close I am without totally descending. I might hand a couple of pounds up to the boat, or ask for a couple. Then at the end of the dive (during the SS), I'll test things a bit and I'll know for sure. No biggie - no one else might even notice while I'm doing a weight check.

Where I dive, it seems like I'm adjusting insulation under my drysuit every couple of months, and from fresh to salt. Weight adjustment is just part of the dive. Unless a diver dives the same exposure protection in the same waters all the time, I would think that everyone would be quickly used to weight checks "on the fly".

Thank goodness for common sense and realistic diving. The ideals some divers try to live up to overwhelm even themselves sometimes. Certainly there is a point where a dive should be called. If safety is compromised, them most definitely. This was a refreshing post to read, thanks Rick Inman.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom