Incident with Great white Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a video showing another great white incident.

Grabbing the dorsal fin was very Cousteau :(
An idiot move, don't care who he is, leave them alone. :rant:

Seen them a few times, as well as most of my Carolina, Georgia and NE Florida buddies and we are almost always spearfishing so the sharks are a little more interested. After a few times it would still be a giant adrenaline rush.
They do seem to have a much less hurried approach than other sharks. I've been bumped, charged and have had to wrestle fish with 3m sharks a few times. Even sandtigers will get sketchy at certains times.
Still safer than driving to and from the site but that's no consolation.
You have seen Great Whites in NC? I dove there a few times and all I saw were the pussy cat of the sea, i.e., Sand Tigers.

Gulp!! I was diving 20km away at HMAS Swan wreck, the next day, no shark shield.

I hope Toby continues to dive.

What was the depth?
We where in around 7m. I notified other divers in the vicinity & reported to the water police, which in turn posted on the sharksmart app. That same evening a tagged 4m gw went past the shark beacon off Bunbury.
There was reports of a large seal/sea lion off peppies beach the following day, harassing divers & boats, although this in unusual to see them there, I’m not sure if it was a factor why the shark was in the area.
Toby & I are already planning our next dive trip, though I feel I’d give peppies a miss for a bit.

Here is a video showing another great white incident.
Interesting video! Much like shark attack accounts, they are anecdotal and can make the shark look like a monster or a big, misunderstood but peaceful creature. So, when a diver sees a great white in the wild, unplanned, what should he think? Should he think of someone riding around holding one by the dorsal fin? Or the account of someone bodily ripped open or a leg taken off?

One rationale is that murky water, or lying on a surfboard at the surface (e.g.: looking like a sea lion from below), leads to mistaken identity.

There's a YouTube video called Gigantic Sharks Break Into Ghost Cage | Island of The Mega Shark in which a guy is in some sort of transparent box in high viz. water near Guadalupe, with a number of great whites around him. Some appear inclined to mouth the box (and might mouth him if he didn't have it). He's not on scuba gear blowing bubbles, which can be off-putting to some creatures, but the point remains...it's high viz. water, he does not look like a sea lion, and yet...danger.

Big question; were those sharks baited in?

And of course, the big question...if you know one was in the water beforehand, would you jump in for a dive (assume non-baited)?

Note: That situation came up years ago; one of our members who I think hasn't posted in quite awhile was on a boat trip to an oil rig, they sighted one in the water, and the staff person (? Captain?) was like 'go on in,' and this diver wouldn't do it. Not baited, it was just there. How many of us would jump in?

You have seen Great Whites in NC? I dove there a few times and all I saw were the pussy cat of the sea, i.e., Sand Tigers.
Some stay year round, and not just small males.
Inshore in typical rec depths they are rare til October, but stay until April. Every single commercial spearfisherman I know and a lot of recreational guys have seen them. But we generally were in 130' to 200'
Sand tigers migrating are not pussycats, they are bigger jerks than sandbars. On the wrecks they are more nuisance than anything when spearfishing.

We where in around 7m. I notified other divers in the vicinity & reported to the water police, which in turn posted on the sharksmart app. That same evening a tagged 4m gw went past the shark beacon off Bunbury.
There was reports of a large seal/sea lion off peppies beach the following day, harassing divers & boats, although this in unusual to see them there, I’m not sure if it was a factor why the shark was in the area.
Toby & I are already planning our next dive trip, though I feel I’d give peppies a miss for a bit.
I hear they tagged a 4m Great White at Rottnest, when that whale carcass washed up during the week. Before pulling the carcass out to sea.

And of course, the big question...if you know one was in the water beforehand, would you jump in for a dive (assume non-baited)?

Note: That situation came up years ago; one of our members who I think hasn't posted in quite awhile was on a boat trip to an oil rig, they sighted one in the water, and the staff person (? Captain?) was like 'go on in,' and this diver wouldn't do it. Not baited, it was just there. How many of us would jump in?
Heck no! I know that great white sharks are just misunderstood creatures who only want to snuggle and sing Kumbaya, but I'd prefer to leave that fun to other folks.

A bit more docile than a Great White but video footage of two Bronzie's, yesterday at Stragglers .... 70 miles north. taken by a friend.

Bronze Whaler's

Back
Top Bottom