Incident at White Star Quarry, 6/9/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheAquaticApe

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was diving at White Star today. We were stationed about 30 feet from the rocky ledge at the East end near where the old fence used to be about 100 feet from the walk-in entrance. Shortly after 2pm I had removed my gear and had my dry suit part of the way off when we heard cries for help coming from near the rock-crusher area. Several people ran down in that direction.

Then one of the instructors and the other DM candidate from my group ran down towards the area. The diver on the surface indicated there was a female diver on the bottom. They went in and found her in about 40 feet of water and surfaced. By this time EMS was on-scene. From the first cry for help to landing her on shore it was 10 minutes according to my watch.

A few minutes later a life-flight helicopter landed and it's my understanding she was taken to a hospital in it. While packing up I overheard a gentleman saying that she hadn't made it but I can't confirm this.

When I was leaving around 3pm there were several police vehicles and what appeared to be a public safety diver near the step-off entrance by the crusher.

That's all the information I have at this time.

Last edited:
First, my sympathies to all involved if indeed this was a fatality.

TheAquaticApe, I think you have reported the wrong date for this incident. Your post title says "6/9/09," but your post was created today, 6/6/09.

I heard accident victim was early 50s and that this rescuer, from the east end, ran over, donned someone's backpack, tank and mask from shore and dove down to retrieve her, wearing only a swimsuit. I heard she was face up, arms out, not breathing and inflater was not attached to BC. While some witnesses, thought she did not make it, our IDC director said she had a heartbeat when the helicopter took her out...pray it continues...and I hope the tremendous effort by the rescuer is rewarded with her survival and instilled initiative of others to react so quickly.

Yes, crazyhorse, both of the guys who jumped in were from my group. One instructor and one RD/DM candidate who also happens to be an MD. They grabbed what was at hand and went in. I was told the inflator was not connected and the tank was empty.

She did have a heartbeat. I overheard a ranger today saying she was alive so we can only hope for the best.

Last edited:
I understand that it is early in the investigation of this incident however could we hear more about the incident. Where was her dive buddy? Was that the person yelling at the surface? What where the conditions at Whitestar--water temp (should have been around 56), viz? Do we know if this is a case of a student who just got her C card that day and then went out for her first swim without an instructor? I would also like to hear more about the topside response, especially about EMS and life flight. If I am correct EMS is stationed right around the corner.

I pray that this woman is able to make a full recovery. I really enjoy Whitestar and believe Rich is turning this property into an A+ facility. Our shop is beginning to run students through there and we are encouraging others to train there. With the increase in popularity there will be a greater chance of accidents.

I believe the person at the surface who was yelling was the dive buddy, but I am not certain.

He was yelling "Help! Help! She's on the bottom!" Those were the only words I heard.

Conditions were excellent. Viz was outstanding at around 30 feet by my reckoning. Temp above the thermocline right around 57.

The scuba area was pretty much packed on Saturday with most of the nice spots covered with tarps. And I agree, the place is much more professionally run now than what I recall a few years ago.

I know nothing of the victim's experience or certification.

As soon as the yelling started I saw 2 or three people within my view calling 911.

I have to say that at first some people thought it was a training exercise but that only lasted a few seconds. The volume and tone of the man's voice made it clear it wasn't.

I saw a ranger truck with it's lights flashing pull up to the small building on the beach side of the quarry (opposite the diving area) about 2 minutes later. Not sure what that was about.

When my instructor and the other DM candidate got to the area they said that no one had gone down yet but there were divers on the surface, one of whom refused to descend to the bottom at 40' because he said he "only had 300 psi". They grabbed gear laying about including a child's mask, and went in. As they surfaced with her the EMS vehicle was arriving. I'd guess it at the 10 minute mark but as I said, my information may not be exact.

It was approximately 15 minutes after that, IIRC, that the helicopter landed.

Hope this helps.

I understand that it is early in the investigation of this incident however could we hear more about the incident. Where was her dive buddy? Was that the person yelling at the surface? What where the conditions at Whitestar--water temp (should have been around 56), viz? Do we know if this is a case of a student who just got her C card that day and then went out for her first swim without an instructor? I would also like to hear more about the topside response, especially about EMS and life flight. If I am correct EMS is stationed right around the corner.

I pray that this woman is able to make a full recovery. I really enjoy Whitestar and believe Rich is turning this property into an A+ facility. Our shop is beginning to run students through there and we are encouraging others to train there. With the increase in popularity there will be a greater chance of accidents.

Last edited:
I was at the scene and assisted with rescue and first, let me say that the final report from the local PD and Park Rangers was she breathing on her own at Toledo hospital after LifeFlight evacuated her. They were looking at it as a possible heart attack since she was reported as just been heavily stressed by running tanks back from fill station then jumping in the water.

To answer some of the questions, she was 56 year old female who was certified but brand new to diving. She had two dive buddies one female and one male of equal age. Both buddies were assisted to shore after showing signs of severe shock and distress. Their report was confused and conflicting due to stress of rescue but it appears victim was panicked underwater and attempting buddy breathing but seperated from buddy and became lost. Male buddy surfaced and screamed for help where a female Divemaster was there assisting in a class (not related to victim). She relayed the cry for help and called 911. Male dive buddy could not locate victim at which point several nearby divers entered the water and began emergency procedures. Victim was located at about 40 feet and was unresponsive, brought to the surface and and in-water CPR was started. By the time dive team returned victim to shore EMS, Fire team, Park Rangers, Local PD and Whitestar staff were on site and began working on victim. As they were working victim, LifeFlight was called and landed within minutes. Quarry entry point was closed and Accident Investigation Team took control with assistance of Quarry Staff and began investigation of dive site.

Topside response was some of the best I've seen once accident was reported. As a special note, the female Divemaster said several other people saw and heard victim's buddy screaming for help but this site is commonly used for Rescue Class and therefore many thought this was a class until she was said it wasn't. Once that point was reached - EVERYONE - jumped to help. This included several Divers, Divemasters, Instructors and Instructor Trainer who arrived wearing full gear in his truck. EMS and law enforcement was on site almost immediately as they are located just outside the park.

As an "after action report" I can't think of anything Whitestar or the emergency folks could have done differently or better. I'd also like to add my personal thanks to everyone there who helped.

If any other individuals who helped are reading this, you should know that the last thing the victim's buddies said before they left for the hospital, was they really wished they could thank each of you for your help.

...the final report from the local PD and Park Rangers was she breathing on her own at Toledo hospital...

Whew, that's a relief. I hope she makes a full recovery. Thanks and congratulations to all that came to her assistance.

are you indicating that the gentleman at the surface should have gone down with only 300lbs or are you just stating facts? If you are stating a fact you should have said they were low on air and could not dive. 300lbs is not even enough to start rescue mode, as assistant commander of a local Sheriff's dive team I would never ask anyone to even think of diving with less than a full tank in rescue mode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom