Incident at Crescent Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jetfixer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This should probably be in the incidents forum but I will post it here since it was local.

I was down in Laguna today at noon and decided to drive by Crescent Bay to see what conditions were like. The fire/rescue and paramedics were parked at the top of the stairs. All I heard was "diver down". They were working on someone on the beach. Any info? I hope it was not serious. It really has me worried.

We were there today (finished our first dive at Crescent at around 11:30, then headed over to Shaw's), but didn't see any fire/rescue folks (at least I didn't). Crescent was PACKED this morning with what looked like classes. It was incredible the amount of people in the water at one time. Even more than is usually at Shaw's. And as a side note, we saw lots of boats passing too close to shore, inside of Deadman's. But nobody mentioned anything about any problems.

Headhunter and Dazedone and Jan are still down there I think, so I just left Headhunter a phone message to see if he can check with Laguna Sea Sports if he gets a fill tonight.

Just got a call from Christian. He talked to the folks at Laguna Sea Sports, and the UNCONFIRMED report is that it sounds like someone may have had their hood on too tight and blacked out. They also said they think it resulted in a fatality. We'll probably know more tomorrow.

I was at Crescent Bay when the Rescue took place.

There was a class of 10 students from the Auburn area of Northern California doing an Advanced Calss. This to be the first dive of the class. Two DM's entered the water and set the float. The instructer proceeded to give the Navigation dive briefing to groups of 4 students at a time. After the first briefing was completed the students entered the water for a surface swim to the float. The float was to be in about 20 to 30 feet of water and was definitely inside the bay and short of the point. As the second briefing was being completed the group on the beach noticed one of the DM's removing the gear of another diver. The instructor entered the water without gear to assist in the removal of the diver from the water and was also assisted by some of the students still on the beach. The instructer requested for someone to retrieve the DAN O2 case from his truck, which was parked on the circle, near the stairs.

The diver was unresponsive with lips turning blue upon extraction from the beach but when he was tiurned on his side he began breathing on his own. O2 was administered and 911 was called. The lifeguards, police and paramedics responded and took over treatment upon arrival. The diver was alert and sitting up when he was taken to the hospital by an ambulance.

It should be noted that the diver NEVER descended. The problems originated during the surface swim. It is my understanding that the diver appearantly experienced fatigue from the surface swim and told his buddy he was having difficulty breathing. This is why the speciulation is that the hood was too tight on his neck. I have not heard any report regarding the condition of the diver after he was taken to the hospital.

I am certified through Rescue class and from my viewpioint the DM and instructor performed a textbook rescue. He swam the diver to just outside the break and removed gear, called for help on the beach. The insturctor and other students assisted in getting the diver onto the sand. The diver was turned on his side and wetsuit loosened. It was at this time that the diver began spitting any water out and began breathing on his own. O2 was administered until the lifeguards and paramedics arrived and took over first aid.

Thanks for clearing it up Tom. Geesh, I really need to sign up for a rescue class.

mccabejc:
Thanks for clearing it up Tom. Geesh, I really need to sign up for a rescue class.

Tom, thanks for the report. IMHO, rescue is one of the best classes you can take. If you dive long enough, it is not a matter of if you will be around a situation where the resuce skills will be helpful but when.

Thank God he was o.k.

Yes, shore diving is strenuous, lets all keep fit, so that we don't get into these situations.

Tom, Thanks for the report. Glad to hear he was OK and sounds like a perfect rescue was performed.

Back
Top Bottom