incapacitated diver recovery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schwob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Assume you and a buddy are out e.g. diving from a boat. One is a big, heavy person, the other is of rather small, light stature.
The big person is incapacitated in the water. The cavalry is too far away so the small person needs to get the big person on board.
How do you do it?
Are you set up for it? How so?
Do you train for it / do you practise?
(my rescue diver class skirted those sorts of scenarios)

On boats with masts, davits, winches there are more options, sometimes even people who know about them. On boats w/o, it's a little different.

Here is one way (search youtube for MOB recovery to find more), basically rolling over the side by mesns of a net or such... and it could be modified to add mechanical advantage (line, pulleys...)

But what are you set up to do?

Last edited:
Good question. I will note that it is not limited to diving from boats. When I did rescue the person being rescued was much heavier than myself and there were two of us rescuers. The other a petite but strong woman. No problem in getting close to shore. But then we had to pull up onto shore. That was inclined about 25 degrees and the water next to shore was full of rocks. Suffice to say we got it done. But it was hard. And the next day my legs had a number of bruises despite a 5mm wet suit. I have made shore entries in several places where I would hate to have to bring some body in. Note that this can take several minutes which is not so quick.

I personally have never had to drag an unresponsive normal sized person onboard, it's always been someone north of my size, with the largest being 450. Pounds, not kilograms, thankfully. We kept a backboard and stokes litter. Still have them. We also had a SKED (google it). I'm working for the Navy right now, and we practice with the cargo net as shown.

Thanks for your replies.
Good to hear at least one here is practicing retrievals into a boat.
@Wookie
You got me at first with backboard and stokes litter. Had to look it up. Sorry, ESL and oodles less salty than you...
Basically a rescue basket or a stretcher (except maybe rigid plastic)...

Since you asked about this in the "FOD" thread (Fat Old Diver) I can tell you this...

I dive primarily out of my own RHIB (except when I'm on vacay). It's a 21' Zodiac Hurricane and ideal for a couple or three divers with doubles, stage/deco bottles etc.

I think you raised this question after my comments about my larger buddy and my smaller tender and how would she get him out of the water into the boat if he was incapacitated, and you also asked if we had a plan.

The short answers are (1) she probably couldn't and (2) Jump up and down and call someone on the radio.

I could certainly haul him out and since it's unlikely I would be too far away, presumably that's our "plan". I've looked into MOB mattes and the like, but the reality is that in a small boat, there just isn't room to carry all of the stuff you need for a highly effective emergency response. As it is, I carry a good first aid kit, a DAN O2 kit, a spare O2 bottle for the resuscitator (as well as whatever oxygen we have for deco). I'd love to have an AED. I'd love to have a spine board or litter. I'd love to had a hyperbaric chamber too, but there's only so much space.

It's part of the risk we assume in exchange for our independence. It's worked well for 30+ years and four boats.

Since you asked about this in the "FOD" thread (Fat Old Diver) I can tell you this...

I dive primarily out of my own RHIB (except when I'm on vacay). It's a 21' Zodiac Hurricane and ideal for a couple or three divers with doubles, stage/deco bottles etc.

I think you raised this question after my comments about my larger buddy and my smaller tender and how would she get him out of the water into the boat if he was incapacitated, and you also asked if we had a plan.

The short answers are (1) she probably couldn't and (2) Jump up and down and call someone on the radio.

I could certainly haul him out and since it's unlikely I would be too far away, presumably that's our "plan". I've looked into MOB mattes and the like, but the reality is that in a small boat, there just isn't room to carry all of the stuff you need for a highly effective emergency response. As it is, I carry a good first aid kit, a DAN O2 kit, a spare O2 bottle for the resuscitator (as well as whatever oxygen we have for deco). I'd love to have an AED. I'd love to have a spine board or litter. I'd love to had a hyperbaric chamber too, but there's only so much space.

It's part of the risk we assume in exchange for our independence. It's worked well for 30+ years and four boats.
Stoo, I was just askin 'cause you were seriously pondering that in that thread. And because it is something that cpuld be done in addition to "lightening the dive buddy"...and even so it probably is hard, likely easier so...

Don't get me etong, I am not thinking you are doing something wrong. My wife is rather short and light also, in genetal and more so compared to me. I can certainly see and agree that there are limits to what can be done. And even minimal means like a 3' wide, rolled up cargo net contraption, line, biners, blocks and tackle for extra purchase add up to stuff that needs to be securly stowed when underway and not be in the way of feet fins or other gear. And that's not even considering the whole aspect of the big ask of "honey, how about some more rescue and recovery practice with more technical gear, loaded lines and..."

I have no real boat (well, a bunch of kayaks, one I may dive out off some day, but that's different), but I sure have been on a few ... and for a short period of time I had a little 21' open cockpit trimaran... great fun, but...
Anyway, one of the universal boat truths seems to be that they always should be another 2 feet bigger .... until one gets practical that is and focuses on the needs over the wants then there is a right size. You seem to have found yours and you seem to be at piece with the compromises you need to make. It works for you and that may make you a rather rare boat owner... That is a good thing. I would never want to try to talk anyone out of that...
:)
Unless you feel like affording something like a rescue rib with motorized ramp in the bow (link to a not so great but sufficiently explaining video here :
)
then your wife can just lower the ramp down and scoop up anyone she wants to...
Sure seems to me they missed marketing that feature to divers (costly stuff so)
:) Now how would that AED help your wife to get your buddy on board? Connect at the right nerve endings & shock to jump in? sorry, not serious of course... :)

Stoo, I was just askin 'cause you were seriously pondering that in that thread. And because it is something that cpuld be done in addition to "lightening the dive buddy"...and even so it probably is hard, likely easier so...

You seem to have found yours and you seem to be at piece with the compromises you need to make. It works for you and that may make you a rather rare boat owner... That is a good thing. I would never want to try to talk anyone out of that...

:) Now how would that AED help your wife to get your buddy on board? Connect at the right nerve endings & shock to jump in? sorry, not serious of course... :)

So ya... Given up on the first and best option. In truth, Mrs. Stoo is very fit and with the adrenaline pumping, I believe she could cut me out of my harness and pull me over the side. Bear in mind that a HUGE advanatage of a RHIB is the low freeboard. It's not like she would need to dead-lift me four feet up. It's more a "drag me over 24" of tube"...

As for our larger buddy... We have discussed the "line under the pits" thing... I could do it... Not sure she could.

Regarding the AED, if we can't get our buddy, we would slap the electrodes up to him, crank up the wattage and electrocute him in the water. Drop a few pounds of random lead into his pockets... problem solved!

..................Regarding the AED, if we can't get our buddy, we would slap the electrodes up to him, crank up the wattage and electrocute him in the water. Drop a few pounds of random lead into his pockets... problem solved!
Remind me never to dive with you on a boat with an AED lol. BTW nice collection of beautifull pics on your website.

As for rescue, standing in the boat and using the "washboard" technique should assist you in getting a person high enough out of the water to be able to hang him over the rib / gunwale, once up there it's only a matter of getting his legs into the boat, mostly easier said than done but this is the technique I was trained in during my offshore rescue training.

LOL... Ya, I was just kidding about the AED... mostly.

And as I said, one of the great advantages of an inflatable is the low freeboard. Combined with the stability and round edge, hauling someone in would be much easier than in any other kind of boat.

I read a thread on www.rib.net long ago about using a hunk of that orange construction fencing and some PVC pipe for a DIY recovery "mat". The advantage is that it can roll up on itself and be relatively compact. And it's cheap... which is nice for something that you will likely never use.

I'll see if I can find the link and will share it if I do.

And thanks for the comments about the photos! :)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom