Inaugural Vandenberg Underwater Grand Prix (DPV/scooter race) June 10-13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oceanus

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I will probably be there to cover it for Seaduction.com (had a little input on the concept)
Sanctioned by the Wreck Racing League
June 4, 2010, Key West, FL- On June 12-13th, 2010 Scuba divers will compete in underwater races around the 523-foot-long Gen. Hoyt S. Vandenberg artificial reef in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary. The Inaugural Vandenberg Underwater Grand Prix will consist of scuba divers using Diver Propulsion Vehicles (DPV), or scooters, racing around the superstructure of the Vandenberg in the new sport of Formula H2O racing.

Sanctioned by the Wreck Racing League, Formula H2O racing will make its debut during the two day event at Key West’s Bacchanalia 2010 which begins on Thursday June 10th. Officials from the Vandenberg Grand Prix and the Wreck Racing League will be available to answers questions and provide information at the Bacchanalia festival on June 11th and 12th.

Key West celebrated the one year anniversary of the sinking of the Gen. Hoyt S. Vandenberg which was sunk on May 27th 2009 after a 13 year community effort to create new underwater habitat for fish and sea life. The Vandenberg artificial reef has attracted over 100 species of fish and thousands of scuba divers to the new dive site in its first year as an artificial reef.

On Saturday June 12th racing teams and the general public will have a chance to test drive various DPV brands and models at the Key West Harbour Yacht Club Marina from 8 AM until 11 AM at no cost.

After 12 PM Wreck Racing League Officials will present information at the Vandenberg Underwater Grand Prix booth at the Key West Bacchanalia Tasting Village located at the Hyatt Key West on Front Street where DPVs will be on display.

On Sunday June 13th, qualified Formula H2O racing teams will compete in three different categories on the Vandenberg wreck site: civilian, physically challenged and military/ law enforcement. Race participation and marina test drives are open to anyone over the age of 18.
Spectators of all ages are welcome to come out to the marina and the reef to cheer on the racers!

Please visit the race website at wreckracingleague.com for more information. All interested DPV manufactures or distributors, as well as anyone interested in competing or participating in this event, should contact Natalie Oriente Weatherby at (239) 464-5932 or natalieoriente@yahoo.com.

More information can be found online:
Sanctioned by the Wreck Racing League
www.kwbacchanalia.com
Key West Yacht Club & Harbour | Marina and Yacht Clubs
Key West Resorts- Hyatt Key West Resort and Spa- Florida

Boys and their toys LOL. It sounds like a lot of fun! Will have to check this out!!!

:lol:
Oh come on Lisa...You have more toys than I do and the last time I saw you, you were a gurl.
:chuckle:

Chug
Likes to dive with Lisa.
:focus:

LMAO - Why yes, I am still a girl :blinking: and I do have a few toys but not an underwater scooter :)

Reports are the scooter race was a blast and they will be planning another one . . . More details soon. Yippy!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom