inaugural thread in regs - question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laivindil

Contributor
Reaction score
I dove a rented AL Titan 1st/2nd stage today from my favorite LDS in Puget sound. I noticed the 2nd stage preforms quite well, but had a tendency to free flow when turned upside down (mouthpiece up) and placed underwater. Nothing serious at all but I am curious; is this common with Titans/AL regs or has this reg simply been abused?

Sounds like it wasn't adjusted properly, did you try moving the venturi adjustment switch?

You can force almost all adjustable regulators to freeflow at the surface by cranking the venturi wide open and turning them upside down. I believe that's actually an indicator of proper adjustment =)

Adjustable 2nd stages are great. Play with the venturi switch at depth and you'll notice that you can either make your regulator feel like you're sucking air through a straw, or like you're breathing on the surface.

AL Titan is a great regulator, but those venturis can be tricky. I played with my Zeagle ZX regulators in the pool before I dove in open water with them... was doing a great impersonation of a hot tub until I figured out how they worked!

-Brandon.

with the mouthpiece up, and air flowing in the air spaces in the second stage, venturi effect and water pressure depress the diaphragm and flow air..

if you dip the second stage into the water upside down (mouthpiece up) it will begin to flow air at 1-4 inches below the water (as the water presses the diaphragm to open the valve)

it's normal...

-brian

laivindil:
I dove a rented AL Titan 1st/2nd stage today from my favorite LDS in Puget sound. I noticed the 2nd stage preforms quite well, but had a tendency to free flow when turned upside down (mouthpiece up) and placed underwater. Nothing serious at all but I am curious; is this common with Titans/AL regs or has this reg simply been abused?

Yep, at the surface it's normal, in fact, I think an informal way to test 2nd stage adjustment is to place it on a water surface, mouthpiece up, and see how far under you can push it before it starts to freeflow. Now, if you're at some depth, with the second stage (mouthpiece too) filled with water, and you invert it, it should not free flow, although some very sensitive 2nd stages with an adjustment all the way out will do this. If the titan 2nd stage does that, it's might mean it's a little out of adjustment and that would be easily taken care of at the next service.

fairbanksdiver:
Sounds like it wasn't adjusted properly, did you try moving the venturi adjustment switch?

I did. I didn't really know what I was doing so I kinda left it alone and focused on boyancy :wink:. It breathed fine where it was set at so I didn't give it much thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom