In St. John USVI Jan 22-29 looking for dive buddy and advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnaweiser

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everyone,

Just got my open water certification, want to keep diving. Will be in St. John USVI Jan 22-29, 2011. Looking for a dive buddy, and for advice on sites and dive shops.

Thanks,

John

Congratulations on getting your certification! Even though my wife and my son dive a little, I do a lot of dives on my own. Pretty much any of the boats with guided dives will happily take along single divers, and pair you up with someone on the boat. Some of these "instabuddies" can be great, and others can be worthless, so especially at first don't go too far from the dive guide. But don't worry - it's easy to dive as a single.

Hi John,

Give me a message when the time gets closer and I can maybe get out for a couple dives with you. 6 PAQ Scuba, Low Key Watersports are 2 right off the bat I think of that are real good.

JJWDiver

Hi JJWDiver,

Thanks for the advice on dive shops - I will check them both out. I also will post a message when I am closer to the dates to let you know what days I will be diving.

John

Hi Everyone,

Just got my open water certification, want to keep diving. Will be in St. John USVI Jan 22-29, 2011. Looking for a dive buddy, and for advice on sites and dive shops.

Thanks,

John

Funland111 -- I would strongly recommend Colette with 6Paq Scuba. She is more expensive, but you will be a better diver having dove with her. I did 12 dives with her last March and she helped me especially with navigation. Dive Safe

Most, if not all, dive shops here in the USVI put a certified quide, Divemaster or Instructor, in the water with you. So you do not necessarily need a dive buddy unless you do not want to dive with a group. Since it appears you are in our next of the woods for awhile, check out some St. Thomas Dive shops as well. Either way, congratulations on becoming certified now it is time to enjoy diving!!!! Happy bubbles.

Another good drive outfit is Cruz Bay WaterSports which leaves from the Weston Hotel. I liked them better than Low Key Watersports because you load from a dock at Cruz Bay but you have to wade out to the boat with Low Key. Parking is much easier at the Weston than with Low Key which leaves from downtown Cruz Bay; parking can be a big problem there. You do not need to line up a buddy; you will get one on the boat. I will be on St. John the week before you are otherwise we could go together!! If this is your first trip to St. John, you will enjoy it. The beaches are wonderful; we snorkel, and there are many sites with a lot of sea life.

Hi Mjrunderwater,

Thanks for your advice. I am staying at the Maho Bay campground, so will do my first dive with them. I will then likely want to branch out, so Cruz Bay Watersports sounds good.

John

Hi Everyone,

I am staying at Maho Bay Camps and have decided to dive with their operation to start - it's convenient and reasonably priced. They will provide a buddy (the divemaster) if I need one.

Thanks for everyone's advice - I am looking forward to a great visit!

John

Back
Top Bottom