In San Francisco area first week of June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dean810

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll be in San Francisco the first week of June and would like to do some diving. I was thinking Monterey or someplace similar. I have never dove in the area. Most of my dives, about 475, have been in the Great Lakes or in the quarries. I have dove Puget Sound.

Any ideas? What are dive opportunities during the week? Any possible dive buddies out there? Thank for you suggestions!

-Dean

Monterey is your best bet, by far.

Warning, though, that in June the plankton will most likely be bloomin' and thus vis won't be all that great. Now there's still great diving to be done, but you won't be getting any spectacular vistas underwater. Topside is another story and Monterey is spectacular.

Check out this information webpage with info for divers new to Monterey: New Monterey Diver Information

Monterey for sure. Don't let the bad viz get to you there is plenty of life to see in and around the kelp bed's. Everybody says go to breakwater but I think the best place to go is coral St if your in the bay. If your adventurous head over to point lobos or monastery if conditions are good.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

DO NOT dive Monastery without a local to show you the ropes there. It's a great dive, but it's sometimes called Mortuary Beach.

You MUST have a buddy at Pt. Lobos. You MUST have a C-card in your possession when you enter. You can often get
in without a reservation on weekdays if you show up first thing (opens at 8am), but you really don't want to miss it.
Do your homework on where to dive at Lobos.

Chuck

Thanks everybody for the pointers! I really appreciate it. I don't worry too much about viz, since I do dive the Great Lakes where the viz can range anytime between 6" to 100'! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom