In Pattaya, looking for things

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AssuredDisaster

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good dive knife, and a couple of dive lights. The problem is, i'm not sure where I can find what I'm looking for. Can anyone help me find a big supplier with stuff on hand, and good prices? I'm looking for a light = to or similar to the Pelican 4100 Nemo, and the Nemo Recoil 2010. I'd rather not pay outrageous prices compared to MSRP, though I guess they will be slightly pricier than in the USA.

As for a knife, I'm looking for something with a full sized handle, a line cutter, and a blunt tip.

So perhaps you know of a good place to buy such things, or maybe you are coming to thailand and could carry these three items in for me.

Any help please?

Most dive kit in Thailand is imported, taxed and expensive.
In Pattaya, the shop I use on occasions when I need to buy some Kit is Pattaya dive centre on beach road in Tipp Plaza.
They have a reasonable range of stock and are usually quite helpfull in trying to obtain what you want if they do not stock the items.
Another usefull place to buy kit is on central road (left side) going out towards Sukhumvit road just past Foodland. It used to be called Mermaids Extreme but I know the name has changed now, but its easy to find, the only dive shop around there.
Most of the shops carry a limited stock of kit, but beware, most are horendously expensive.

Kinda sucks actually. if I'd known this, I'd have chucked the issued kit that I would get, and buy exactly what I wanted in the USA and then carry it to Thailand. I'd have a wider selection and a lower cost. Probably better sales service too. Oh well.

That's just how it is I am afraid.
As a general rule, I have found it to be much cheaper and far better selections of equipment on offer in the UK, and the rest of Europe, no doubt the USA is the same.
As has been discussed numerous times on various threads, there are very limited numbers of dive equipment importers/wholesalers in Thailand, dive supply being the biggest. This coupled with high Thai import duties just means restricted choices and high prices.
Best to avoid buying your equipment in Thailand if you can.

As an example, around 2 years ago I was looking for a new BCD for use in Thailand, It actualy retailed in the UK at less than Pattaya shops could buy it in from their suppliers!!! End result, about a 50% saving on Thai prices when I made the purchase in the UK.

And yes I dare say you are right about the sales service.

What about paying import duties. Lets say I pay $150 for a couple of lights and a knife. Locally, (if I could find it) I'd be out 230 (example) So I pay 40 to ship it over. So I've got $40 in savings. Will import duties take all that away?

What about paying import duties. Lets say I pay $150 for a couple of lights and a knife. Locally, (if I could find it) I'd be out 230 (example) So I pay 40 to ship it over. So I've got $40 in savings. Will import duties take all that away?

Not sure how that one works I am afraid, but I believe imported goods attract duty at 40%?
Having said that I have had some things (not dive kit) sent to me and not paid any import duty.
Maybe someone on here could help you further?
Kgdiver is exactly correct in what he says, most Pattaya shops seem to push Scubapro equipment, maybe because the margins are bigger? But the kit itself realy leaves a lot to be desired as far as I am concerned, I wouldn't entertain using it.
With regard to Dive supply, they seem to be the preferred supplier for most Pattaya shops, so the same kit should be available in Pattaya, not sure if there is any benefit to buying from them direct.

What do you mean the kit itself? Scubapro, or the equipment options in general?

I guess it makes sense to charge high prices for people who can afford it, but at the same time, I think I'll just buy the minimun that I'll be happy with, and then tell everyone else to buy outside of thailand.

What do you mean the kit itself? Scubapro, or the equipment options in general?

Both.
Personally I dont rate Scubapro kit, but thats only my personal preference, we all have our own ideas/requirements when it comes down to our kit.
And as you will find the options for buying kit in Pattaya are very limited, but a few of the more 'helpfull' shops will make a special order for you if they can get what you want.

Yes, as you have found, you are exactly right to avoid buying your kit in Thailand wherever possible.

Lots of people and divers around in Pattaya.
No decent equipment supplier, maybe there is a good business oportunity for someone?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom