In need of some positive reinforcement!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a fairly new diver (25 dives) and my buddy (husband) has 200. Before each dive, we would discuss our goals and plan. This past dive trip we realized something that we had not discussed before----where were we supposed to be in relation to each other in the water. Sounds simple enough, but I had always been swimming right behind him (as I had been taught in class) and he preferred that we swim side by side so that he didn't have to turn around to check on me. Made perfect sense to me once we talked about buddy positioning.

I am sure it is different for each set of buddies, but perhaps discussing that should also be part of the dive plan.

katieva:
I am a fairly new diver (25 dives) and my buddy (husband) has 200. Before each dive, we would discuss our goals and plan. This past dive trip we realized something that we had not discussed before----where were we supposed to be in relation to each other in the water. Sounds simple enough, but I had always been swimming right behind him (as I had been taught in class) and he preferred that we swim side by side so that he didn't have to turn around to check on me. Made perfect sense to me once we talked about buddy positioning.

I am sure it is different for each set of buddies, but perhaps discussing that should also be part of the dive plan.

Just a word of caution (and mostly because i didn't understand it when i read it and did a lot of thinking about it).

"Goal" oriented dives can be a problem, if you let the pursuit of that goal push you into a situation you aren't equipped to deal with. The way the thing i read put it was "Avoid goal oriented diving" or something to that effect.

It took me awhile to figure out what they were talking about. But then i'm a bit slow :wink:

katieva:
relation to each other in the water. Sounds simple enough, but I had always been swimming right behind him (as I had been taught in class) and he preferred that we swim side by side so that he didn't have to turn around to check on me.

I prefer side by side, I don't like having to turn and look up or behind to see my buddy because it makes the dive more stressful knowing that I can lose them in 10 seconds or so that way.

Side by side is so much easier unless you're following a line somewhere... It's what we do on land, you walk side by side talking and looking at each other for the most part.

My concern about divers who want to trail is that they have a problem right after I check on them and if they can't catch my fin or make a noise to get my attention they just may have a major problem brewing. Sure it's easy for them to keep track of me, but it's equally important for me to keep tabs on them, just in case they need me.

I too prefer side by side dive formations - but I've also found very few buddies who dive that way even when we discuss it before hand. I wonder if it's because so many classes are run that way (ie follow instructor/DM around single file) at least around here.

I know that part of this is my fault, so I have to keep working at it and my communication.

Aloha, Tim

The instructor returned to shore and took his gear OFF - and you were not with him? Shame on him. Seems like he had a lot of faith that you would show up. Wonder how long he sould have waited before worrying about you. You should be at LEAST equally annoyed at how he also failed his part.
But, you can't unring a bell - what is done is done. No one is hurt. You learned a lesson. That is what you are taking the AOW for - to learn more, right? Good job, you learned. Now... Stay with your buddy. Keep breathing. Everything's going to be OK.
Coconut Girl

Karl, don't feel bad. There is only so much one can do. If I had had to tow a dive float on my AOW dives, I'd still be working on passing.

In my third open water dive of my OW cert, I lost my instructor on descent (you can read about this in my journal). I was calm and focused and followed procedures, but my instructor darn near died from the terror of having lost me. I'm sure your instructor was probably equally stressed. This is the reason for the "surface after one minute" rule. It's not that you NEED a companion; it's that the person who feels responsible for you is freaking out because they don't know where you are.

Diving is frighteningly addictive, but it is not risk-free, and procedures are developed to minimize risk and cope with emergencies. Things may seem arbitrary, but experiences like the one you had show us WHY these protocols exist.

You learned something, and everybody survived the experience unscathed. On to further diving!

Yup, diving in low vis is a real pain. BUT, it sure makes you appreciate good vis diving. Like everyone else said, I highly reccomend discussing the dive plan in some detail with your buddy before getting in the water. My usual MO is to be at my buddies right shoulder throught any dive he is leading. I need to tell him this as...Heres the visual... If he makes a brief stop and looks at something on the bottom to his right, I end up swimming all the way around him to get back to that right shoulder position. Really can be a pain but after diving together for a while we have picked up an what each other is doing and how each other will react to certain situations. It takes a lot of practice and I realize I am fortunate to most often dive with the same buddy.
I do spend a few extra minutes on the plan when diving with someone new. Well worth the time.

Everyone has already made some great comments/suggestions , didn't see this one though
When you are following a compass heading and leading , the tendency to out run your buddy is very great , when your looking at a compass , it seams that you just go like bat out of h*ll. every time
Our instructor told us that , and It's true , so try to stay slooow

DB

nauidiver2004:
Yup, diving in low vis is a real pain. BUT, it sure makes you appreciate good vis diving. Like everyone else said, I highly reccomend discussing the dive plan in some detail with your buddy before getting in the water. My usual MO is to be at my buddies right shoulder throught any dive he is leading. I need to tell him this as...Heres the visual... If he makes a brief stop and looks at something on the bottom to his right, I end up swimming all the way around him to get back to that right shoulder position. Really can be a pain but after diving together for a while we have picked up an what each other is doing and how each other will react to certain situations. It takes a lot of practice and I realize I am fortunate to most often dive with the same buddy.
I do spend a few extra minutes on the plan when diving with someone new. Well worth the time.

nauidiver2004:
I am starting to wonder, do you just regurgitate what you read here and instantly become an expert?

(for those of you who are wondering check the thread here http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=110035&page=2&pp=10 scroll down about 3/4 down)

sounds like you're doing a fair bit of regurgitating yourself. And you still haven't answered to the fellow who had an instructor take off on him.

Now we're almost even....troll

Find another instructor to finish your AOW with. If he lost you when you had a dive flag and then got out of the water you need someone different.

Back
Top Bottom