In Indonesia For a Year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimmyJetHead

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

This is my first time on the forums. My name is Erik, I'm from the States, and I've been interested in diving my whole life (growing up watching The Underwater Odyssey of Commander Cousteau probably did it!) I decided to stop wasting precious time - I took a job in Indonesia and I'm looking to get as much diving as I possibly can before I leave. I've been reading about the dives sites and centers here in Indonesia, but I'm not sure where to begin. I'm looking to do my Open Water the week of Idul Fitri - any suggestions?

Cheers,

Erik

Erik - First, congratulations on your endeavor. Second, I am extremely envious. Third, not meaning to be critical here, but actually rather incredulous ... you took a job in Indonesia to do this, and you don't know where to start? I don't even know where to start to tell you where to start, there are so many avenues of information. I'm sure you'll be reading about many of them here shortly. Here's one thought ... read this Indonesian forum ... all of it. You'll learn about all of the dive areas, many of the dive companies, and many suggestions about where to do your training. It's really not that long; you could do it on and off in a day. I'm betting that then you will not have to ask the question, "Where do I start?"

PS - One more thought ... move to Bali!

Last edited:
Hi Eric! Lucky you to be in this part of the world for a whole year! I see you are in Jakarta. The diving from there isn't great, so I'd recommend you go to different places for fun. Starting in the north, you can go to Pulau Weh (also known as Pualu Sabang) for some very nice diving. Some of it is quite deep, but a lot of it is accessible to newly trained divers. Another favorite of mine is Bali. I'd probably recommend that you take your dive course there. Near Bali are Gili and Lombok, which are also good for newbies. Also near Bali are Nusa Penida and Nusa Lembongan, but the diving is more challenging there due to currents. The same can be said for the diving at Komodo. Further east you've got Sulawesi, and you will love it there. Bunaken, Banka, and Lembeh are all wonderful. Even further east is Raja Ampat, still on my to-dive list, unfortunately!

In order to do all the great diving that's possible there in Indonesia, you may want to extend your contract another few years, LOL., not to speak of the chance to come to Thailand, dive in Malaysia, and maybe even the Philippines!

Hi everybody,

This is my first time on the forums. My name is Erik, I'm from the States, and I've been interested in diving my whole life (growing up watching The Underwater Odyssey of Commander Cousteau probably did it!) I decided to stop wasting precious time - I took a job in Indonesia and I'm looking to get as much diving as I possibly can before I leave. I've been reading about the dives sites and centers here in Indonesia, but I'm not sure where to begin. I'm looking to do my Open Water the week of Idul Fitri - any suggestions?

Cheers,

Erik

Go check out Wakatobi, one of my favorites (~2.5 hours by plane from Bali)

Bruce

Hi Eric,

I am sure you will have a shed load of fun on your big adventure and make many lifelong memories and friendships.

Planning is also part of the fun so have a look here for a start and also have a look at our Bali page - Diving in Indonesia.

Good luck.

Rick,
Welcome to Jakarta - hope you can survive there.
Anyway - why you've to wait till week of Idul Fitri for your OW - you can get your OW for 2 - 3 weekends;
Diving around Jakarta (thousand island, anyer, ujung Kulon, karkatau) is not the best in the country but actually is not bad for a starter. In fact some site such as krakatau, p. teo is consedrably good.
You can join local diving forum; there's always offer for weekend trips.
Then if you have long weekend - get the local calendar - Bali is just short flight; Wakatobi is certaily nice but not cheap. Bunaken and Lembeh can be reached in a day. There's also direct flight from Jakarta to Makasar and Ambon.
Once you gain more experinece then go to Komodo and Raja Ampat.
All sure we'll keep you busy.

Hi Erik,

Welcome aboard & welcome to Indonesia :)

Not sure which part of Jakarta you are staying, but don't be too stress with the traffic.

Just want to make you aware, Idul Fitri (next September), is Indonesian longest holiday. It will caused all the hotels fully booked, therefore most of the hotels will apply high (and even Peak) season surcharge during this period. So you might want to book your accommodation from now to make sure you get a room.

Most dive resort in Indonesia (except in Bali) actually apply flat rate all year round but, during September, the tourists # will be overloaded. The reason for this are
- It is already high season for Indonesia, due to most European travelling to Indonesia during this time.
- It is the best time to visit most of Indonesian dive sites e.g: Bali, Komodo, Bunaken, Lembeh, Lombok, Gili, Wakatobi and many more.
- Most Indonesian non Muslims & Expat living in Indonesia (like you:)) will use this long vacation to travelling.

My next suggestion to you (and anyone who plan to visit) Indonesia during this time) is: Once you decided which of the 17500 island you would like to visit, book the tickets. Tickets rate during this period won't be cheap as well. Big airlines will allow you to book tickets from now. While small airlines like Express Air to go to Raja Ampat or Trans Nusa to Komodo unfortunately will only allow you to book ticket one month in advance.

If you have chance to dive during week end, some area reachable from Jakarta are: Pulau Weh (Pulau = Island), Bunaken, Bangka, & Lembeh of North Sulawesi, and of course Bali.

You need to have longer holiday to visit Komodo, Raja Ampat or Wakatobi.

If you have further questions just feel free to PM me.

Have a great time here in my country.

Hi Erik , welcome to Jakarta. Open water during idul fitri holiday , i sugest Bali or other island other than Java where most Java ppl are muslim and idul fitri is big holiday.
Agree with highdesert move to Bali :)

Good luck

Hey Everybody,

Thanks for all the feedback, despite my post being a bit vague at best. All you can drink martini Sundays and first postings definitely do not mix.

Highdesert, thanks for pointing me in the right direction - I actually have been reading nonstop since I left (damn martini Sunday), but I hadn't hit the scuba forums - will do. I wish I could move to Bali, but macet and headaches is where the job has placed me.

Quero, I'd like to head North to Weh, and get my Open Water with either Rupiah Tirta or LumbaLumba. From what I've read there are a lot of deep dives, but there is more than enough to keep a beginner interested . I'd like to see a bit of it all: macro, coral, and pelagics, etc - any recommendation for specifics sites? I'll be doing five extra dives while I'm there.

Wisnu and Tapas, you two read my mind! I plan on starting with the easier dives in places like Weh, Bali/Gilis or around Java Barat second, Bunaken/Lember during Christmas to get my Open Water Advanced, and then more advanced sites in Komodo and maybe Banda/Ampat Raja. Thanks for the advice on early bookings during Idul Fitri. Do you have a link for a Jakarta divers forum?

Aicha, I'm going to have to risk traveling uncomfortably and go to Weh - I'll do Bali on the next trip, thanks for the advice though. And Mike thanks for the heads up on the dive shop. I'll check it out.

If anyone anyone has dove Pulau Weh and has some personal favorites that a beginner could dive I'd love to hear about them, or feedback on courses at Lumba Lumba and Rubiah Tirta.

Also, from what I've read, Wakatobi is quite expensive: from the transportation to get there, and the accomodation, to the dives. Is it worth the money and hassle to get there?

Thanks again everyone!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom