In Cozumel now..need your help w/dive op

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coco7

Registered
Reaction score
Arrived in Cozumel Friday and port has been closed ever since. Wind is better today and getting better. Next harbormaster report is at 2pm. Had booked with DWM and am at Wyndham. Both ops say that today's dives have been cancelled again. Anyone know of a dive op that would do a private scuba if the report is good at 2pm? Have called around and many say that their dives are called off. Blue Magic said maybe if report at 2 better. Looking for other options. Fly home day after next and am bummed that we have yet to scuba dive as this was our main purpose.

Sorry to hear about not being able to dive, If you're really itching to dive, you could dive a Cenote on the mainland. Hope you get the info you're looking for!

I believe I read on the forums recently Aldora will dive on the east side if it is bad on the west side. Aldora Divers of Cozumel

Hope the weather gets better! :D

Cenote diving is a great suggestion! Kind of a little ways to travel - but I loved it! IMO worth it. I dove with Nicolas - I believe he will pick you up at the COZ-Playa ferry.

www.cenotexperience.com.mx

no idea if they operate on those kind of conditions but I have done the shore dive from chankanaab and I no you just want to dive. and as reported aldoras on the other side of the island diving

Arrived in Cozumel Friday and port has been closed ever since. Wind is better today and getting better. Next harbormaster report is at 2pm. Had booked with DWM and am at Wyndham. Both ops say that today's dives have been cancelled again. Anyone know of a dive op that would do a private scuba if the report is good at 2pm? Have called around and many say that their dives are called off. Blue Magic said maybe if report at 2 better. Looking for other options. Fly home day after next and am bummed that we have yet to scuba dive as this was our main purpose.
Sorry to hear that.
I posted about diving on the eastside of the island when the west is closed. Dive ops wont tell anyone about Aldoras' trips. I think there is fear of loosing a customer. Anyway contact Memo at Aldora or just go to the shop which is downtown and get a spot. Look at the thread ;'Diving East Side of Island' http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/318758-diving-east-side-island.html this should give you an idea if you want to do it or not. Hope ya do, I want to hear about it.:D

also read this=Can't go wrong with this! http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/trips-local-marketplace-cozumel/318571-cant-go-wrong.html

That's a tough one because they'd have to get a crew and the boat ready. If they sent everyone home for the day, they may not be able to get a boat out. This was a pretty strong norte if it's closed the port for 3 days. The diving conditions wouldn't be too great this afternoon. Everything will be pretty churned up. If it's a go tomorrow, maybe you can get in afternoon dives or a night dive to make up for some lost u/w time?

I have a message in to Aldora, but haven't heard back yet. Chankanaab says their water activities are closed unless the port reopens. Does anyone know if Dzul Ha allows shore diving if the port is closed? The winds have calmed but it is almost 1pm and I get conflicting answers as to whether there will be another harbor master decision yet today. And whether it would come in time to schedule a dive later if I could find someone to take us.

I have a message in to Aldora, but haven't heard back yet. Chankanaab says their water activities are closed unless the port reopens. Does anyone know if Dzul Ha allows shore diving if the port is closed? The winds have calmed but it is almost 1pm and I get conflicting answers as to whether there will be another harbor master decision yet today. And whether it would come in time to schedule a dive later if I could find someone to take us.
Phone Opal at Scuba Mau, they are located at Villa Blanca. If she can let you out at least you get wet. I do the shore dive there alot and I have fun putzing around. She can give you a little site run so you find some stuff. Or even better get her to take you to Park Royal and jump in off their pier and drift to Villa Blanca, just stay at the 25fsw mark, swim approx 1/2hr, go to the surface and she where you are they go back down and head to the Scuba Maus' spot. I love doing that at night. Tell her kevin sent ya.

I spoke to Memo several times this morning and he was very busy checking conditions and getting divers over to the other side - as long as the boats are out over there, he is on the other side. After discussion with the harbor master - I can tell you that the port is not going to open today. Tomorrow however looks MUCH better so you should be able to get out tomorrow.

As to your question about Dzul Ha (Money Bar now) - if the port is closed, no one will rent you tanks because it's too much liability and risk of a fine by the harbor master.

Kevin - I cannot speak for all other dive shops, but despite the claims of one person - it is not true that shops don't tell people about Aldora's east side diving for fear of losing business. I offer it to qualified divers as well as offering the cenote option. In the beginning, they (Aldora) required divers to have a certain skill level (ie: not brand new divers with no prior CZM experience) - now, depending on which sites they are planning on (based on what the wind is doing), they can take less experienced divers if they aren't going to the more challenging sites. Understandably, their clients have first priority on the spots - and any unfilled spots are opened up to divers form other shops. I know for a fact that there are other shop owners that didn't even know Aldora was offering this.

Based on forecasts and what the Harbor Master said this morning, I think divers will get out tomorrow on schedule. We're planning four dives tomorrow to help our people make up some dives if they choose to do so.

Back
Top Bottom