Impressions from 1st Bonaire visit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ippy01

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Spent the week of 12/17 in Bonaire – my first trip there. Some general impressions and advice for others considering Bonaire for the first time:

GETTING THERE:
We took the new Continental direct, red-eye flight out of Newark. In fact, we were on the inaugural flight. If you are the kind of person who can sleep on a plane, or can hit the ground running without sleep, this is a great option. For me, it took the better part of 2 days to get back to normal (yes, I’m very wimpy when it comes to needing my sleep). Still, some people on the plane were raving about what an improvement this direct flight is over previously available options. So, if you haven’t looked at airline schedules in a while you might want to check this out.

One thing to note if you are a 1st timer and take this flight: you may find it challenging to find your way to your hotel given that it will be before 6AM and pitch dark. There is nothing intuitive about finding your way through the narrow, little streets in Kralendijk to some of the places on the west side of the island (i.e., Captain Don’s, Sand Dollar, Buddy Dive, et al). Consider asking one of the taxis that will inevitably be taking some people on your flight if you can follow them.

ACCOMODATIONS:
I don’t have a lot of good news here. We stayed at the Sand Dollar and while we found our unit very spacious (2 bedrooms, 2 ½ bath), frankly, it was a pit. The unit clearly hadn’t been cleaned properly for months – disgusting bathrooms, bugs everywhere, dirty floors, etc. It is important to note that Sand Dollar is a condo property, not a hotel. So, it may well be that some of the units are better maintained. You should look into this if you are planning on staying at the Sand Dollar. Also, the common areas of the property are dumpy.

A number of other places – most notably Harbour Village – looked much better than the Sand Dollar. But, nothing struck us as the equal of a decent American hotel chain (e.g., Westin, Marriott, Hyatt, etc.). Even the Plaza which gets some praise appeared to need a lot of maintenance.

I fully admit to being very picky when it comes to accommodations. And, I get it that no one goes to Bonaire for the Ritz/Four Seasons/St. Regis experience. But, if you have never been to Bonaire and you care about this subject, you may be disappointed.

Of course, your perspective on accommodations is just that – your perspective. I suppose if I was going to Bonaire with a few buddies (guys) for a week of nothing but diving and post-diving beer drinking I wouldn’t have been as disappointed. Still, my non-diving wife was more than a little skeeved out.

RESTAURANTS:
At the risk of sounding even more like a high-maintenance snob, I found most of the restaurants just OK – not bad, but not very good either. Our favorites were Richard’s (beautiful view, good wine & food, probably the most pricey option on the island) and Pasa Bon Pizza (fun place, cold beer, decent pizza, good prices…..what’s not to like).

Be prepared, many of the restaurants have very slow service (I know, I know….chill out, you’re in the Caribbean), wandering stray dogs/cats, less than clean looking bathrooms/kitchens, limited selection, etc.

I don’t want to be too critical on this count, but compared to Grand Cayman the restaurants on Bonaire aren’t very good.

DIVE LOGISTICS:
Undoubtedly, the convenience of diving in Bonaire contributes to its sterling reputation. Outside of a live-aboard, I can’t imagine easier diving. The arrangement at Sand Dollar/Den Lamen (adjacent properties) seemed nearly perfect to me. Bonaire Dive & Adventure is the on-site dive shop and they were terrific in every way. They have a dive pier and dry room that constitutes the best layout I’ve ever seen. You can basically fall off the pier and be right on Bari Reef which is a very good dive. Also, they have daily boat trips to the terrific sites around Klein Bonaire (as do others) that take about 2 minutes.

We ate at a number of other properties (Plaza, Captain Don’s, etc.) and they all seem to have very well thought out dive arrangements. But, from what I saw, Bonaire Dive & Adventure has the best configuration of any location and the best access to Klein Bonaire.

Of course, when you go to Bonaire you want to shore dive. Like most people, we rented a pick-up truck. Again Bonaire Dive & Adventure really shines here – they have a very convenient tank/weight pick-up & drop-off area (Captain Don’s drive-through arrangement looked equally convenient).

After 5 days of shore-diving, I agree with the general consensus – the ability to do so many quality dives from the back of a pick-up truck is unique and VERY fun.

DIVE QUALITY:
The diving is all it’s cracked up to be: first rate. I was particularly impressed by the coral and sponges – the best I’ve ever seen and better than what I have experienced in Grand Cayman, USVI, Cozumel, BVI, Puerto Rico, Turks & Caicos, and Curacao.

If you are making your first trip, I highly recommend diving Angel City (immediately became one of my most memorable dives ever), Andrea I, and Karpata. ALL of the dive sites offered something, but these 3 sites stood out for me.

Since I’m being something of a critic here, I do have to note one observation: the fish life is a little less plentiful and generally smaller than what I have seen elsewhere. With the exception of a very large moray eel at Angel City and a lone Tarpon at Karpata, I never saw anything larger than 12”. I recognize that this is the nature of the environment on Bonaire’s west coast – and we didn’t dive the Salt Pier which is noted for large marine life – but, again, newbies should know to expect this. Of course, I may just have been unlucky.

OTHER STUFF:
There isn’t a great deal to do other than dive. This became a little bit of a challenge for our family since we have an 8 year old, and my wife wants no part of diving.

We did do a lot of driving through the Washington Park which is interesting but will only kill a half-day or so. Also, we did “Blo-Karting” on the island’s east side – very cool -- I recommend this to anyone for their dry day.

Generally, I would rate Bonaire as “poor” in terms of non-diving activities.

GENERAL CONCLUSION:
Bonaire is a unique destination and based on the quality and convenience of the diving I recommend everyone give it a shot (budget permitting, of course). But, I think the island is going to have to accept a bit more development – of the high-end variety – if it is ever going to appeal to more than the hard-core diving market. I do not accept that development necessarily and inevitably means environmental degradation. Too many other locations (Turks & Caicos and Costa Rica come to mind) are proving that (intelligent) development and environmental protection are not mutually exclusive.

So, our family’s final conclusion: we probably won’t be going back considering that there are other places that offer nearly comparable diving with much better amenities and activities.

One more thing -- almost forgot -- there have been a number of debates about theft/security on Bonaire on SB. We had no problem whatsoever and found the people very gracious and accomodating.

For what it's worth.....

Thanks for the trip report. We will be at the Den Laman in March so nice to hear good stuff about the dive ops. It will be our first trip to Bonaire, but I think since we will both be divers our need for on-shore amenities will be less than yours.
No turtles?

Nope -- no turtes. Hopefully you will have better luck.

frank_delargy:
No turtles?
Have BD&A take you out to Jerry's Reef off Klein for turtles. They're under ledges inshore of the mooring. In like 20' of water. Do the dive first then come back in and look for them.

Thanks for the trip report but didn't you research the inland before you chose to go.
I haven't been yet but all the research I have done says that this is a real dive destination and not much else. And everyone has said there is no Hilton on Bonaire.
Yes I'm a die heart diver and I don't care about the on shore activities untill the last day when I can't dive. There's already plenty of places to go with all the American activities to do. Let's just leave a couple of inlands for us divers to enjoy without turning everything into Disney World.
I do hope your next vacation goes better and I really appreciate your report on food. By the way don't do Roatan Honduras its set up the same way.

I'm glad you learned your lesson. I think next you'll probably go back to Grand Cayman with all the warm-friendly locals, great prices, and wonderful easy to get at diving.

Hi:

My wife, buddy & I are due to hit Bonaire with our scuba group in the Spring of '07. Enjoyed your review.

Sounds like Aruba or maybe Curacao would've been a better match for you; I've spent some time reading on this forum, and that's the impression I've gotten. I don't see lacking a lot of broad-interest entertainment as a 'weakness' or 'something wrong' with Bonaire, but I think it merits mention as you've done since there are some divers out there with non-diving family members, or going to 'party' in addition to diving, etc...

All 3 of us (wife, buddy, me) are open water-certified; my buddy & I are mainly going for the diving. My wife likes diving okay, but is looking forward to snorkeling and hopes to do some other things. We shall see.

Richard.

drrich2:
Hi:

My wife, buddy & I are due to hit Bonaire with our scuba group in the Spring of '07. Enjoyed your review.

Sounds like Aruba or maybe Curacao would've been a better match for you; I've spent some time reading on this forum, and that's the impression I've gotten. I don't see lacking a lot of broad-interest entertainment as a 'weakness' or 'something wrong' with Bonaire, but I think it merits mention as you've done since there are some divers out there with non-diving family members, or going to 'party' in addition to diving, etc...

All 3 of us (wife, buddy, me) are open water-certified; my buddy & I are mainly going for the diving. My wife likes diving okay, but is looking forward to snorkeling and hopes to do some other things. We shall see.

Richard.
My husband and I were in Bonaire for 10 days in November. We were there to dive and that is mostly all there is to do. The snorkeling is great almost anywhere. We did go horseback riding and shopping. Checked out the donkey sanctuary during a surface interval. Our non diving day we drove around the island and took pictures. I laid on the beach a little too. But there is really not alot to do unless you are there to dive. oh yeah - there is windsurfing and that looked pretty fun.

If you're going to Bonaire for anything other than diving, you will be disappointed. I will say this though, the people are more than friendly and accomodating. The diving, in my mind at least, makes up for any shortcoming that it may have as a tourist destination. Frankly, coming from a tourist Mecca (Orlando), I am glad to know the commercialization of Bonaire hasn't happened. My recommendation for night life is Karls down from Den Lanem and Mai Tai's even farther south.

I love it and wish I were there now!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom