• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Impossibly hard scuba diving questions please

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by diverdown13, Sep 3, 2006.

1. wreckchick

wreckchick Scubavangelist

bp/w vs. jacket vs. back-inflate

R

2. Walter

Walter Instructor, Scuba

Poor kid. I thought you wanted to research them.

Covered here.

Dick Rutowski

1. of or pertaining to a benthos.
    2. of or pertaining to a benthon.

B

YMCA

Frankie Wingert of the YMCA SCUBA Program

Whale Shark - Pigmy Shark

1. A coastal region; a shore.
    2. The region or zone between the limits of high and low tides.

1. Botany. attached by the base, or without any distinct projecting support, as a leaf issuing directly from the stem.
    2. Zoology. permanently attached; not freely moving.

Nothing. It's not a feature, it's a bug.

I'm leaving the rest for you.

3. oceandjinn

oceandjinn Angel Fish

Ok why is it that if you go to a padi store they say SSI is outdated or NAUI is nonexistent from next year or any variation of the three. And secondly can you buy THE WHEEL anywhere with instructions and is it better than a dive computer and why?

4. oceandjinn

oceandjinn Angel Fish

By the way the largest shark is my sisters baby.

5. diverdown13

diverdown13 Angel Fish

well, I actually did want too, but I ended up having a ton of great questions, and no good answers, and then I got all backed up, got a buch of different answers for certain questions and eventually gave up.
    thanks for the answers!!!!

6. miketsp

miketsp Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Ok here are mine...

7. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Mike... the weight of the anchor and rope had ALREADY been displaced by the appropriate amount of water while IN the boat. There has been no change of combined density.

8. knotical

knotical perpetual student

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Correct, but once the anchor is in the water, it displaces less than its weight.
    Think what happens when you add air to a lift bag to recover the anchor and get it back on the boat.

9. knotical

knotical perpetual student

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Find the atmospheric pressure at altitude, and add sufficient oxygen to the breathing gas to reduce the nitrogen fraction proportionally.

O2% = 1 - 0.79Pa

Where O2% is the Oxygen content of EANx expressed as a decimal.
    And Pa is the atmospheric pressure at altitude, in atm.

Example: at 4000 feet elevation, the atmospheric pressure is 0.8637, which can be offset approximately by EANx32.

Caveat: This is theoretical. There are divers who use this technique to dive at altitude with sea-level air tables or computers, but I don’t know if any agency teaches it. Before anyone even considers diving this way, they should be at least Nitrox certified and keenly aware of the serious risks associated with elevated oxygen partial pressures.

Simplified derivation:

Altitude theoretical depth = (D + 33)/Pa – 33
    Where Pa is the atmospheric pressure (in atm.) at altitude.
    And D is the actual depth

Nitrox theoretical depth = N(D + 33) – 33
    Where N is the ratio of nitrogen in the Nitrox to nitrogen in air, which could also be: (1-O2%)/0.79

Assume some depth D1 and apply first the altitude formula, and then the Nitrox formula. For the effects to cancel, we should end up at D1 again, or:

N((D1 + 33)/Pa – 33 + 33) – 33 = D1
    (We just substituted “(D1 + 33)/Pa – 33” for D in the Nitrox formula, and set it equal to D1)

This reduces to:
    N((D1 + 33)/Pa) = (D1 + 33), or: N/Pa = 1

As mentioned above, N is (1-O2%)/0.79, we can substitute and rearrange to get:
    O2% = 1 - 0.79Pa

n.b. You can find atmospheric pressure (Pa) at various altitudes either from tables or from:
    Pa = (1 – H*6.87535E-6)E5.2561
    Where H = Altitude in feet
    And E means: “raise to the power of”

10. miketsp

miketsp Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Thank you knotical.

NetDoc, if you have a problem visualising the problem with the anchor, try imagining a boat that weighs nothing. While the anchor is in it the boat will displace a lot of water whose weight is equivalent to the anchor. Once the anchor is in the water, the boat will just sit on the surface displacing nothing, while the anchor only displaces its own (small) volume.
    The water level will drop wrt the shoreline.

Then as knotical suggests, add a lift bag to the anchor, fill it until the anchor is neutral and you've displaced water which will make the water level rise back up to the original shoreline.