Import duties: buying from Australia shipping to USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblesong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I’m looking to buy gear from Australia on EBay, and I’d like to know if there are import duties and how to pay them? Do i have to go pick up item from an import or airport office? (In UK I had to go to airport to get a baby carriage with 100x import duty, plus storage fees )
Thanks in advance.

Probably not. I get stuff shipped from China direct all the time and never have to go pick it up.

I guess that would all depend on what it "smelled" like to a dog.

If I am not mistaken as long as the value is under $1000 or $1500, it should pass. There should be a page that gives you full information about import duty if you search on Google if you need further/exact information.

I've bought things from Australia recently. It shipped directly to my home and there were no surprise duties/taxes/etc. I bought a 121GW multimeter for $315AUD (approx $215usd). It was all very straightforward. Shipping was through DHL, which works a lot like UPS or FedEX.

I’m a licensed customs broker. What are you trying to get?

Generally, UPS will rob you on the charges.
I am shopping on EBay and Amazon for used scuba bits, nothing heavy nor expensive. I am going for it!

I bought a canister for a PLB from Australia. It just came to my door. Once I had to go to the post office to sign for something from China. Given that this is so common, I'm guessing Customs just x-rays and have drug sniffing dogs check out packages at random.

USPS seems to be better on international packages than anyone else, with regards to duty and such.

I am shopping on EBay and Amazon for used scuba bits, nothing heavy nor expensive. I am going for it!

Check out shipping rates before you buy. Might not be worth it unless you can’t find the item elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom