Impact of Chlorine on equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ymy

Reaction score
I have been browsing through old threads and found some mention of chlorine (read swimming pool water not bottle of chlorox) on equipment but could not find any specifics.

What effect does chlorine have on scuba equipment ? The only thing I can think of is a cosmetic effect of bleaching colors off. Does degrade rubber, silicion etc also ?

I'm not sure of the science behind chlorines effect on equipment but it is my understanding that some manufacturers void or shorten warrantys on equipment used for instruction because it will be used extensively in pools. The swim suits I wear in our pool not only fade as you would expect but the material weakens & tears much sooner than suits I wear diving in saltwater and I rinse both in fresh water (non chlorinated) after use.

In my experience, it's not just the cosmetic bleaching of everything you have on. I don't use a wetsuit in the pool but my booties and anything else neoprene wears out more quickly. The fabric covering of the neoprene is weakened so wear and tear happens faster. In fact I have to replace booties about once a year because they get holes over the toes and the rubber soles come loose.

Due to the constant high chlorine content in public pools, I have developed a sensitivity to chlorine over the years. Just the fumes effect my lungs causing major congestion and fluid build-up, like a bad case of the flu. I can no longer DM pool sessions because of this.

It is rougher on metals than sea water. It can induce pulmonary edema in humans. It will weaken and fade fabrics and rubber... ie, bladders, o-rings, fins, etc. I prefer pools that use bromine instead. Easier on me and my equipment.

You should bring along a tester kit. If the chlorine residual is above 2.0 ppm..... ***** out the pool service guy. There should be a chlorinator that controls the amount of chlorine into the pool each week. A good chlorine shock once a week should help release the chlorimines and lower the chlorine odor. Just would not want to use the pool shortly after the shock.

I think the pool service guys need to be talked to, if they are constantly keeping the chlorine residuals so high as to damage suits, equipment, etc..

A good pool service guy is able to keep the residual at a safe (for equipment/suits, etc) level. Most of them are flakes to say the least.

And yes chlorine will ruin just about any material. It is very corrosive.

JMO.

One thing to add here, if the smell of chlorine seems to be overwhelming, be wary of hopping in. I went swimming at a friend's pool earlier this year when it smelled heavily of chlorine - come to find out, her mother had shocked the pool early in the morning, then forgetting that she had treated it earlier threw another dose in later in the day. Needless to say, after an hour or so in the pool: a) all of our shorts, etc. were already starting to fade and b) most of us ended up with chemical burns all over our bodies (not fun, not fun, not fun - imagine a bad sunburn that's everywhere, even where the sun don't shine)

Back
Top Bottom