Image Quality of DSLR vs advanced P&S?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And if you want some WA UW the DSLR also kick ass, specially compared to the G10.

They now have wa lens, just that most of the vis I dive in is so bad, one does not get many good images... but..I took this last week with a wide angle:

jelly800.jpg

When I get time, will remove the background stuff.

Any housing you take underwater can leak, so that should not be a consideration. Maybe a more expensive camera & lens is your main worry. Get insurance that covers you for anything anywhere. If you really can't afford a flood, then you probably shouldn't be shooting underwater. Underwater photography is something like auto racing - if you part a car on the track you have to be willing to write it off. A DSLR has advantages over P&S in terms of lenses with quality optics, sensor size, shuttle lag, menu functions, etc. A D90 would make a great system. Just get a very reliable quality housing for it.

Having been taking UW pictues since the 70's I understand the concept very well. It has nothing to do with affording a flood, it has to do with cost benefit...I can take as good of images with a G10 as anyone can with most DSLRs... image quality is better than all but the full frame ones.... have no shutter lag issues...and actually don't have any aspect that I would like to add.

I have a standing offer to anyone that wants to join me on a dive trip with a Dslr... we compare images afterwards.. do some really large prints and compare...I'm not implying it is easy.. just that it can be done.

And yes, you have to use this tiny range of setting to shoot pictures in... but I long ago got over that.

The gap between the "P&S" and the dSLR is artificially induced. Manufactures could easily produce full size sensor range finder cameras even with interchangeable lenses, the new Oly EP1 and the new Canon 10MP G11 and S90 may finally represent a closing of this artificial gap. Same shot as Puffers with a 570 and fisheye dome lens in Destin, water is clear but soupy and green, I am certain a dSLR would take a much better photo but it might be as large as the tank in the background.

IMG_1579_edited-2.jpg

N

Sadly, you are very correct...I know you have seen a lot of my images here on SB, but you really need to see them printed in say 13 x19 to see just how detailed they are.

Note: Will be in Destin this weekend, and you are more than welcome to join several of us for lunch.

Shutter lag can also be managed around... this guy is not a fish easy to get near...as the chromis family is rather shy and fast moving (purple chromis):

Damsel204.jpg

This is some of that bad soupy green water:

Damsel206.jpg

Oh, and big things scare fish...

The gap between the "P&S" and the dSLR is artificially induced. Manufactures could easily produce full size sensor range finder cameras even with interchangeable lenses, the new Oly EP1 and the new Canon 10MP G11 and S90 may finally represent a closing of this artificial gap. Same shot as Puffers with a 570 and fisheye dome lens in Destin, water is clear but soupy and green, I am certain a dSLR would take a much better photo but it might be as large as the tank in the background.

IMG_1579_edited-2.jpg

N

Sadly, you are very correct...I know you have seen a lot of my images here on SB, but you really need to see them printed in say 13 x19 to see just how detailed they are.

Note: Will be in Destin this weekend, and you are more than welcome to join several of us for lunch.

Shutter lag can also be managed around... this guy is not a fish easy to get near...as the chromis family is rather shy and fast moving (purple chromis):

Damsel204.jpg

This is some of that bad soupy green water:

Damsel206.jpg

Oh, and big things scare fish...

Same dive in Destin from the jelly, with same cheapo P&S and huge fisheye lens, it too would be far better if I had a dSLR and a better eye and a little more skill and a more cooperative model and--and--and---:

IMG_1541_edited-1.jpg

For web viewing and prints to 8X10 the main advantage to a dSLR is that the larger sensor has greater dynamoic range, much better contrast and much lower noise but I shall resist, I will resist, I am resisting, I --am--------.

I shot him (note, his fins are like 12 feet long so I gave up), Canon A570 P&S:

IMG_0713_edited-1.jpg

He shot me, Pro dSLR:

ChisVintageDiverPics2009031.jpg

Anyways, have fun with whatever you have, it is better than nothing.

N

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your replies. As some one stated - the DSLR because of sensor size and lens will have greater dynamic range and less noise. An expensive camera and lens won't improve your photo's, it doesn't improve your composition and it won't eliminate backscatter.

I dive in Southern California most of the year. Our water is cold, green and poor visibility. I have taken some good photos hears. I also try to take a warm water trip or 2 each year. With these I can get 20-25 dives in about 5 days and take many photos. Much easier to get high quality photos in warm water with 100 foot visibility.

I'm trying to determine if the DSLR can get better quality photos. I have learned there are pro's and con's moving to a DSLR. With the DSLR you lose flexibility from a P&S, but you get less noise and greater dynamic range in your photo (note: I shoot 80-100 ISO so noise has not been a problem). I am concerned the benefits of a DSLR will be trumped by the poor visibility in So California waters.

the main difference in quality u/w come from the lenses. with high quality, situation appropriate lens a dslr will be much better than a g10--the difference will be astounding, with the cheapo lens or one that doesn't fit the subject the g10 can certainly be a better choice.

the main difference in quality u/w come from the lenses. with high quality, situation appropriate lens a dslr will be much better than a g10--the difference will be astounding, with the cheapo lens or one that doesn't fit the subject the g10 can certainly be a better choice.

And that is the huge issue... as one has to pick the lens before knowing what that object will be on the surface. Where one has a zoom/macro/wide angle camera that does not do anything perfect, but can do a lot very good...

The other issue is that clear water, bright colors are the sweet spot for a DSLR.. where one needs that increased dynamic range...dark, limited vis with strobes is the happy place for a good point and shoot. Sort of apples and oranges.. I sure see a lot of DSLR people take average pictures where I dive most of the time...and great pictures in clear water...

Virtually impossible with a dslr to take the following two images on one dive:

Nudi700.jpg

rubble900.jpg

But easy with a P&S...

You know, I'm just going to go ahead and say it: unequivocally, DSLR can take better quality photos. There's really no contest. If that's the real question, it's very easy to answer. It's the reason why people use them even though their bigger, more expensive, etc.

You know, I'm just going to go ahead and say it: unequivocally, DSLR can take better quality photos. There's really no contest. If that's the real question, it's very easy to answer. It's the reason why people use them even though their bigger, more expensive, etc.

Really, then how would you explain a lot of the images on this site?

Bob Whorton Photographer

Bob is sort of famous for using pretty much any type of camera and getting great images...even winning international contests against Dslr's with a p&s.

I once was part of a class that got taught a lesson by Minor White about the importance of the photographer over equipment when he took on a class of 24 students, all armed with the latest and greatest Slr's with every possible lens and he used a brownee box camera....( I know... Minor who? And what is a brownee?.. just go with it for a moment.. and look up later).

We all were embarrassed afterwards...and I realized that I did not have what it takes to be a league with the greats of photograph. He showed all of us that day that the equipment is only about 10% of the image... In a contest with Bob having a P&S and just about any other person with the best, most expensive Dslr, I would bet on Bob.

But there are a lot of people that believe you can buy talent...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom