I'm your instabuddy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had about 40 dives, all but 8 or so have been with instabuddies. I've had exactly 1 issue where I was "swimming too fast" for my buddy and 1 issue where I stopped to take a picture and my buddy kept moving to about 30 feet away at the furthest separation. Both were learning experiences as are all my other "fewer issue" dives.

I would definitely dive with you. I would hold a decent pre-dive discussion with you because I have a "technical" rig despite being a rec-only diver. I would show you my hoses, discuss which one you would use in an air share (the longer one) and ask how you would expect me to use your rig in an air share. I would verify how your weight pockets (I presume) function and ask how much weight they have in them (may not need to remove both) and show you where my weights are should mine need to be dumped. (Cam bands typically but occasionally a weight belt as well.)

I would ask what you want out of the dive, show you my typical hand signals and ask what yours are and then decide which to use. Then we'd gear up (probably both in split fins unless it's warm water, in which case I use full foot "snorkeling" fins) and we'd enjoy our dive. We'd get some pics and videos (probably) and we'd stay close enough for both of us to be comfortable.

After the dive I would ask if you have any recommendations for me and discuss anything that concerned me about OUR dive. I would try not to put blame for any shortcomings entirely on you unless it was blatantly obvious that we understood each other before the dive and you broke that understanding without regard for me. (I don't suspect that would happen.)

I'd dive with you but, could you keep up with those split fins?!

I dive ID's mounted on a b/p wing my regs are from the 1970's as are both my SPG's with hoses. I wear a weight belt. I wear a watch have an analog depth gage mounted in a 3 hole console and carry US Navy air tables in a pocket on my harness. I have a PDC that makes a great depth gage BIG NUMBERS I don't see too good anymore.
If you go OOA on me you get a 19cuft pony bottle handed to you. Both my reg hoses are short.
My question is would you dive with me?

Well that's how I found the buddy that I'm diving with now. He has since picked up a BP/W but kept the split fins and Air2.

Sure I'll dive with you, but I'll dive with anyone once, I like diving. The second dive is dependent on how the first one goes, not on what gear is being used.

Bob
--------------------------
The day I can't dive anymore, I will really need some other good reasons to stay alive. DarkAbyss

You had me at split fins. I dive them too. I also like that you have at least 50 dives, which I would learn as we talked before the dive. I'm not worried than you dive a recreational dive with one set of gear- so do I. And I have the tables in my log book. We'll have a great dive. It will certainly be better than jury duty!
DivemasterDennis

The OP sounds like a perfect dive buddy.

I would settle for less; a buddy who is willing to...
-select a dive within his/her experience level
-make a plausible dive plan with me
-dive side by side and follow the plan

Well, original plans leisurely day at court house browsing Internet and reading my book on baseball out the door now trying to get dismissed off jury panel.

Thanks to all so far. I love diving and have in past gone out on a boat needing an instabuddy. But, several threads in the past have piqued my interest. There is an ongoing discussion on computers and tables. Back to basics and chart versus new technology. Somebody has intimated that if you don't fully understand tables and rely on your computer that's somehow not safe if the computer fails. Another was you need a separate SPG back up because again if it fails that's not safe. For my needs and my diving the odds of complete computer failure is remote and the only issue I've had was when I needed to replace the battery after a dive.

Other threads on the Air 2 seem to indicate the they are not as safe as the long hose bungeed Octo so often recommended here. One instructor even said wouldn't want to teach the student with one. He would only after making student go through bunch of hoops first. I like the Atomic SS1 if for no other reason I find the buttons easier to use by feel.

And, a recent rant on an instabuddy when the buddy took off underwater. Personally, diving is more about your mindset as a buddy than the gear or dive philosophy you like. I've had instabuddies treat the reef like the Indy 500. Raced off and I couldn't get a good look at an eel I was checking out on the cracks. But being good buddy decided better to stay with buddy and took off as well.

I did bring 6 pack an last boat chilled in galley for after dive. Mplenty to share.

Absolutely............but I take pics(lots of em) so you'll need to go slow ----to keep 'up' with me...:).....

Freewillie, I really enjoyed your post for your humor and candor. If anything I'd say read everything on the internet with a bucket of salt, not a grain.

I often find myself being the insta-buddy and will dive solo if the op gives me the chance, but I would be glad to dive with you!

I almost always will dive with anyone once or even twice. The third time is highly dependent on the result of the first two dives.
The exception to this is, if I'm paying to do a deeper dive (70+ feet) I will kindly decline to buddy up with anyone I have never even seen in the water no matter what their gear configuration looks like.

This thread is inspired by a number of different threads. One was about diving with an inexperienced dive buddy. Another about computers. And to add extra fuel for discussion I'm renewing the Air2 debate as well. I also have jury duty tomorrow and need something to read while sitting at the courthouse!

So, who would dive with me as an instabuddy?

---------- Post added March 19th, 2014 at 12:52 PM ----------

Well, original plans leisurely day at court house browsing Internet and reading my book on baseball out the door now trying to get dismissed off jury panel.

Just yell guilty repeatedly! Works like a charm every time.

1202gadgets1.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom