I'm not concerned. . .but should I be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Very brief history here, I'm a relatively new OW certified diver . . . aside from my checkout dives in a lake the only dive I had done was Venice Beach off the shore.

2 Sundays ago I went on my first boat dive, went out of Pompano. I nearly aborted my first tank, wreck dive, as when I was holding onto the bow line that led to the wreck, I was just feeling very skittish and like it was too much for me . . jumping off the boat into the big blue was feeling quite a bit different than just prancing my way down the shore, I dunno, just freaked for no reason. DM calmed me down a bit on the boat and I decided to give it another go (one set of people had just started their descent down the line so I was able to catch up to them and subsequently catch up to my actual buddy/ies, we were a group of 4). Due to the exertion I had on the surface freaking out, I was the first to hit our PSI mark for ascent. We went up rather uneventfully, aside from me worrying about being low on air, the computer printout of my buddies computer (here is a point I'm sure to catch flak on, my comp's battery compartment leaked as soon as I hit the water and thus was out of order for the day, I've since been able to revive it; so I was at the mercy of staying by my dad (buddy) and watching his) indicated that we had a very brief period (15 sec. or so) where we were ascending a bit too fast, but the rest of the ascent line on the graph was OK. We had max depth (deck of the ship) of 60-65 fsw . . I was only down for about 15-17 minutes due to the surface freaking out having used up so much air and that I sat on the boat for about 5-7 minutes deciding if I was going to go back in.

I had a blast on that dive after the initial freak out so I went ahead with the 2nd tank after about 1:15 surface interval. This was to be a drift dive, bottom was about 76 fsw. I know I know. . . shouldn't do any deeper than the first dive, not to mention the 60 fsw on the wreck was the deepest I had ever been. Regardless, we were in for about 25 minutes. Had another slight section of the ascent where we were going up a tad too fast, we also did safety stops on both dives.

All is well on the boat, on the drive back to Orlando between dozing off (don't think this was DCS fatigue, there just isn't much to do on that long of a drive in the passanger seat) . .I noticed that there was a spot on my wrist that was itching a bit . . I hadn't been wearing gloves on the dive and there was a point where that hand had scraped the side of the wreck we were on a bit so that's what I chalked it up to . . . no rash at this point/no discoloration, maybe just a slight line that looked like a tiny scratch, which is what I was thinking it was. Also saw several small jellyfish on our ascent, but believe I stayed away from them pretty well.

The next day, nothing is bugging me, the itching on the wrist has even subsided considerablly. Next day same thing, all minor muscle soreness from diving (calf muscles were just a tad tired) the wrist wasn't constantly itchy, only realized there was something amiss if I were to apply pressure to the wrist, and again, just felt like an itchy sensation. Well here I am one week and 2 days removed from the dive . . it must have been about 5 days after it that I noticed that the wrist does indeed have some little raised bumps (almost like tiny little zits or something) and it is reddish like it is irritated. The entire spot is about the size of a quarter. It is not getting any worse, but nor is it getting any better. It doesn't bother me at all unless I scratch it and it's been the same size/same area fom about 5 days after the dive to now. Do I have skin bends? Should I be concerned? Did I get the open water chicken pox? Is it possible that this is just a healing scratch (i'm doubtful because of the raised bumps)?

Now, I assume that the majority of the responses are going to be along the lines of, should have gone to a doctor, need to go to a doctor, blah blah. . . I completely understand. As the problem is not worsening and I have no other DCS type symptoms, I plan on letting it ride. Would another trip back down with very careful attention to NDL's and ascent rate possibly help if it is indeed skin bends? or would I have to go to the chamber?

I'm OK with being blasted for the mistakes on made on this one, I don't offend easily. I made sure to note everything I feel I did wrong on the dive from the planning to the ascents and intend to be much more attentive on all future dives. I'm just hoping that this isn't something that I've let go for too long and will prevent me from diving in the future. . . I mean heck, it's just an itchy spot on my wrist.

Much appreciated!

Last edited:
OOps, by the way, I meant to mention that I did check the tables and know that I exceed an NDL on the 2nd dive. Being that I am so new and was with more experienced divers that were using computers (as I would have been were it not for the darned battery compartment) . . . no one came close to the NDL on the computers because we had really taken our time on the descents and ascents. I wouldn't have imagined that on the table I had actually gone over on the 2nd one, definitely going to be doing a lot better planning from here on out.

Do not be concerned about itch. Most likely it is caused by marine life. Once I had my both hands itchy and eventually pealing for 3 weeks after holding rope on FL key dive. Good reason to get gloves. Do not exceed NDL in a future. You will learn to be more relaxed in general and as a result will be able to pay more attention on important aspects of a dive (if you’ll continue diving).
Good luck

Next time abort the dive once your computer fails PERIOD!

As to the rash it is probably an allergic reaction. See a dermatologist.

I would also recommend sticking to shore diving until you are more comfortable.

Sounds like you touched something. Good judgement in all cases will serve you well, especially in diving.

<insert nasty comment about dive practices there>

The rash is probably just an allergy of some sort. Mooring lines can get nasty stuff growing on them. So no worries about DCS, but if it starts swelling or doesn't get better go see a doctor. There are a number of horror stories about minor scraps degenerating badly.

Or even better, look at the table and note time (if you have waterproof watch) before dive, or even memorize few numbers from the table and you will safe on a simple squire profile dive if computer fails.

Thanks so much to everyone so far. . . I can't say how releiving it is to actually have a place to talk to people about this instead of just telling myself not to worry.

Do not exceed NDL in a future. You will learn to be more relaxed in general and as a result will be able to pay more attention on important aspects of a dive (if you’ll continue diving).
Good luck
Definitely am continuing. . I had so much fun on these dives even if they were shortened due to me being a spaz. I enjoy diving way too much to have been scared off. . . hell my hand could have completely fallen off and I'd find a way to justify my next dive.

As to the rash it is probably an allergic reaction. See a dermatologist.

I would also recommend sticking to shore diving until you are more comfortable.
Hm, I know I'm extremely new to the sport and what not, but isn't that a tad excessive? I mean something could go wrong with the comp, like mine did that is easiliy fixable, just not at the time. If I have a means to tell my depth, and time I've been down, as well as tank pressure; isn't that all I really need? I think even if I had to rely on my buddies and make sure they stay right next to me the whole time (wasn't the case here, I did have depth/timing/pressure available with my remaining gear) that it wouldn't be risking much to not have a computer.

As far as sticking with the shore diving, I really think that it was just the initial shock of being out there and doing it . . . now I've been there done that (I was EXTREMELY comfortable on the 2nd dive of the day) and know that a focus point for ME is to control breathing and relax the second I hit the water, not only once I'm a few feet under. Advice appreciated nontheless.

Do you mean degenerating in a decomposing sense or NDS sense? I have noticed that the spot tends to inflame rather easily and will get a bit puffed up if I scratch it, but I wouldn't call it swelling . . . if the rash spreads I would definitely seek attention, but this far after the dive, is there even a possibility of it being skin bends?

Again, really really appreciate the responses and I think forums like these really do help people learn from mistakes. . . I spent weeks in this accidents and incidents forum before I went on my first boat dive, so I've seen some of the horror stories, but man it really is tough to just drill down that common sense and due caution are so important, but in the heat of the moment (or as it was on this dive . . freezing cold of the moment) it seems really easy to forget it . . . but seeing my mistakes and acknowledging them, writing them down, and trying as best to prevent them in the future will make me a better diver for it.

Hm, I know I'm extremely new to the sport and what not, but isn't that a tad excessive? I mean something could go wrong with the comp, like mine did that is easiliy fixable, just not at the time. If I have a means to tell my depth, and time I've been down, as well as tank pressure; isn't that all I really need?

That would be correct, but the depth and time needs to be on your own body not someone Else's. You didn't state that you had redundant gauges in your first post. If so as long as you know the tables and rock bottom gas supplies then you would be okay to continue diving. I was not trying to be harsh, it is just that certain failures require the dive to be immediately aborted. Like failed pressure, time or depth gauge, along with any BCD failures etc.

I think even if I had to rely on my buddies and make sure they stay right next to me the whole time (wasn't the case here, I did have depth/timing/pressure available with my remaining gear) that it wouldn't be risking much to not have a computer.

As I said above the gauges must be on your own person or the dive gets aborted immediately. Computers are not a requirement for diving, but knowing and understanding the tables are whether you use a computer or not.

This is a good read and might help you understand some things.
Rock Bottom and Gas Management for Recreational Divers

As far as sticking with the shore diving, I really think that it was just the initial shock of being out there and doing it . . . now I've been there done that (I was EXTREMELY comfortable on the 2nd dive of the day) and know that a focus point for ME is to control breathing and relax the second I hit the water, not only once I'm a few feet under. Advice appreciated nontheless.

Shore diving will allow you to gain confidence and learn buoyancy in an environment where making a small mistake does not carry the repercussions of corking to the surface on a blue water ascent from 70 feet. In California we have tons of great shore diving spots to enjoy and I am sure you have many too. Shoot time in the pool is even a good thing. Once you learn to hoover motionless in trim (No fin movements), then it will open up a whole new world of flying through the water effortlessly.

Have fun! :)

Hm, I know I'm extremely new to the sport and what not, but isn't that a tad excessive? I mean something could go wrong with the comp, like mine did that is easiliy fixable, just not at the time. If I have a means to tell my depth, and time I've been down, as well as tank pressure; isn't that all I really need? I think even if I had to rely on my buddies and make sure they stay right next to me the whole time (wasn't the case here, I did have depth/timing/pressure available with my remaining gear) that it wouldn't be risking much to not have a computer.
Only dive if you have a working computer
or
watch, depth gauge, SPG, and tables (and know how to use them).

Actually with a working air integrated computer, i always have an SPG, and watch on me anyway. if the computer dies, i abort the dive. period. After the abort any additional dives must be calculated from the charts. I have had to do this twice in the last 5 years.

If you are computer diving, and don't actually calculate your repetitive dive group after every dive, you don't know your body's residual nitrogen loading. So you must calculate this before you can safely plan you next dive.

In my kit i have a good depth gauge and tables. I then use the tables to calculate my residual nitrogen loading. Since the best numbers are in my (inoperable) computer i assume square profiles to the max depth of the days dives (somehow i always know how long and deep the last dive or two have been and the interval between them :) ). this is conservative, but is the best i can do. i do not need to do thist often enough to stay practiced, so i review it on the surface once or twice a year.

then i calculate the NDL for my next dive. This may not be the best approach, and others with more experience may have better methods, but this is what i do. I used to calculate the receptive dive group after every dive, and the NDL before the next, but i stopped doing that...

I actually have TWO (identical) dive computers and sometimes dive wearing both. particularly for multi-day live aboard dive trips, where nitrogen loading can get high.

Back
Top Bottom