I'm new to diving, opinions welcome!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dontyouliketheparty

Registered
Reaction score
Aberdeen Scotland, from London England UK
# of dives
Hello all,

I'm from the cold and thawing UK and have decided to take everything I own (Ž£5000) and sod off to Bali/gili T as I've been there before and loved it! I'll get to the point - I have never dived before and wish with to start afresh and become a DM or more exactly a SSI Controller which I hear is the equivalent, sort of. I've done quite a fair bit of research and am concerned about the real possibility of employment? I have searched for a internship at a reasonable rate. I reckon I've found a good one being Dreamdivers based on Lombok/gili T - $1143usd for a 4month DM internship including digs. Almost too good to be true. They have been really friendly which is spot on and even said there may be employment for me and to send a CV which I will.

I am more then willing to work all the hrs under the sun and pay for the priviledge. I really want to earn their trust I suppose, but NOT if in reality after my course finishes I'm out of cash and they or any other dive centre aren't gonna take me on. I don't expect a good income as I know it's a lifestyle choice, I just want to be able to earn enough from the centre to pay for my accommodation, visa's, insurance and general living cheaply. maybe I'm aiming too low and need an Instructor qualification like the IDC. If that's the case then I doubt I have enough wonga! that £5000 has to cater for everything for the internship, flights and all inbetween.

Sorry for such a long post. I've been to many forums asking bits and bobs and just want to lay it all on the line to you lot!! You are divers after all!

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Lee

Hi there! Can't offer any advice...but I'm new to diving as well and thought I would say welcome and good luck!

Cheers

Hey Shereelp,

Thanks for support! It has taken me 30mins to find how to see my own thread and look at the progress!!!Either I'm stupid or this site is a bit tough to navigate lol.
Had my first dive taster today in banff Scotland and loved it. No panicking a bit of ear pain till I equalised. Was one on one instruction. I had a problem with bouyancy as they kept on giving me more weights to put in my pockets to stop me floating like a dead fish. Then Fell to the bottom of the pool quickly lol. Eventually I was sorted and really enjoyed my pool experience. I have officially dived to a depth of 3 meters yeah! Can't wait to get to Indo or wherever I end up and learn this with scenery.

Lee

Sent you a PM. Check it out.

welcome, and the best of luck, by the way dont fin at the surface you will sink easier

welcome aboard Lee sorry I have no information that can help but thought a free bump might work

You may not keep up with this board regularly but I will tell you there is a 5 star PADI shop in North Richland Hills that is run by a woman and they seem to cater to women. They are called We-B-Divin and you need to talk to Judy. I got my cert there and they were real easy going and very professional.

I take it you got introduced to diving during a vacation or something like that. Just a taste makes you more hungry, doesn't it.?

I wouldnt advise blowing your entire savings on this, as it would most likely be a limited duration. It is extremely hard to get a paid divemaster job in Asia. There are so many more thousands of people in the same situation as yourself...and only a very finite number of jobs. Very few divemasters find a permanent role in the industry. They either go home due to lack of funds, or manage to progress up to instructor level.

There's nothing wrong with going to Asia to do an internship and getting a DM qualification, but you should have realistic expectations about your post-qualification employment.

If you can't afford to spend your savings...and end up back in the UK some months later, then do think carefully about your options.

Let me know if you have any specific questions - I'd be happy to help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom