I'm I making a mistake - Cancun on Wed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ebqwert

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
It looks like Dean will be a bit south of Cancun - I was supposed to be there Today (Monday) but pushed my trip back by 2 days to see what happens.

Assuming the resort is unaffected and i can get there... will I be crazy for trying to dive there?

I need to do my last OW cert dive there and then plan on spending my time between diving, playing volleyball and lying on the beach.

Eric

We are going down Saturday with any luck. I wouldnt plan on there even being a beach as they are man made and will probably be washed away by the 16' waves that are being predicted. I would guess the visibility could not be that great but I could be wrong. Also make sure you check the airline and hotel before you go as the power could be out for a few days. Good Luck.

Seriously doubt there will be any dive ops operating for a week or so maybe longer after the storm passes.

I'm no expert.

Got an email from Ben today. They have been boxed up and have the hatches battened down. I'd be surprised if the airport was open on Weds. given it's only going to be hours after the storm.

He told me the Royals did not evacuate and they would be ready for Sat. It will really depend, as Chris said, on how much the beaches get hammered. If they get 20 ft tidal surge, we may have sea water in the pools...:(

As far as diving goes, depends where you are from. On a good day up here we have 20ft and it's cold. So, I'll take 30ft and have it warm...:D

The bottom will be stirred up good. However, I'm planning for a good time anyway!

I was really looking forward to some tropical dives. I've done my open water dives in Point Pleasant, NJ. and so far I think I'd really prefer not having to wear a 7mm suit and visibility of 6'.

So far it looks like Dean is not going to hit Cancun directly - so I guess I see what develops tomorrow and make up my mind then.

thanks of all the input!
Eric

Well... I Decided not to push the trip back anymore. We're leaving tomorrow morning. I'll let you know what I find when I get there.

I'm hoping to hook up with Spratman and whoever else is there over the weekend.

Eric

Its TOTALLY fine to come. I'm in Playa and we felt almost nothing from Dean. A little wind and rain, less than some of the normal storms that come through here. The port was closed today cause the swell is still up a little but we're back up and diving tomorrow morning!! The diving is suppose to be awesome right after a hurricane cause you get different life coming out of the woodworks. After Wilma, Playa del Carmen dive spots were overrun by lobsters!! heheh. Too bad Jersey rules don't apply here cause there would be some feasting at my house!
Feel free to come on down!!! I'm hitting the water bright and early tomorrow!!! WOOHOO!

i spoke with Ben and I'll be diving with him Friday.

we went snorkling today - Vis was better then home (NJ) but it was very overcast.

I'm hoping for some cool stuff tomorrow.

eric

Back
Top Bottom