I'm going to burn my Force Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjnansen:
Thank-you for finding a home for your force fins! It was because of stories of burning and abusing force fins that I started the force fin rescue group

Is anyone doing this worthy effort for schplit fins?

There's the National Association for the Advancement of Jet Fins (NAAJF) which gathers homeless jet fins from the attics of estate sales and sells them on ebay. Using those funds, they sponsor the DIRT (Doing it Right Together) scholarship for DIR-F class. The DIRTY graduates then volunteer to spread the word in hopes that all Jet Fins find loving homes.

RoatanMan:
Is anyone doing this worthy effort for schplit fins?

I'll take any homeless Apollo Bios because they're the best fin made.

And I'll happily challenge RoatanMan to a surface swim race with him wearing whatever he chooses. When he catches up to me panting and puffing he can apologize for dissing splits :wink:

Seriously, the first time I put on Apollo Bios, it was a whole new world of effortless propulsion. Never tried Force Fins. YMMV.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
And I'll happily challenge RoatanMan to a surface swim race

But see, this is SCUBA diving. It's under water. You bet, If I were thrashing about on the surface like some kinda wounded seal with my split fins, I would be out'a breath... looking for "Mr. Grey" :jaws: to attack from below!

What do I use? Look at today's new thread in this forum http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=122666 I'll race ya and give you 10 leagues head start! (Aaaargh! I love that pirate talk!)

Never tried Force Fins. YMMV.

Well, there's hope for you, but then again- they might even be better than your piniped floppers. :1poke:

Mahalo.
:joke:

I have been lucky to have tried most fins on the market, and I have to agree that the Apollo Bio-Fins are very good, but Force Fin Excellerators kick their arse by putting less effort on your legs.

I, for my sins, am part of a team doing a charity relay dive across the English Channel, and we have been using various fins during training to see what works the best for each member. Now it is each to their own, but after several blasts up and down Horsea Island seawater lake (1km long), most have settled on Excellerators or Bio-Fins.

The reason I opted for the Excellerators? They give easily as much thrust as the BioFins, but at the end of a 2km run (done in 47 mins), my legs didn't ache as much as they did with the BioFins. Now it is all relative – compared with paddle fins, there is no effort with BioFins, but halfway through the second klick my thighs were burning a bit. With the Force Fins, I got out at the end and felt i could get back in and do it all over again after a short while out of the water (which is good, as we reckon on having to do 6-8 sessions each).

Now most of us will not be getting in the water and finning like hell for 45-50 mins, and when I am diving normally, I try and fin as little as possible, but I tell you what, doing this training gave me a real insight into the power that different fins generate, and for what effort.

However, forget Force Fins on the surface, unless I swim on my back, in which case I can really motor – I just can't see where I am going!

Mark

Hi Mark

Have you got a web link for your relay? Where are you setting off from/landing at? When?

Good luck.

I broke my femur, lower back, and had hip reconstruction at the age of 22 (younger days as a motorcycle nut). That causes me to have pain and an irregular fin kick. I have tried Tusa, Mares, Scubapro, and Force Fins. The Force Fins, by far, are the best if you have an irregular kick, or if you use the "bicycle" kick. There is no pressure on my joints and you don't have to keep your legs straight. They have more propulsion for me. Won't go back to the "regular" fins ever again. I am interested in the Force Fin Rescue Group.

Go to www.orchid-cancer.org.uk and click on the 10,000mm under the sea logo – you'll get more details then.

We were due to go in September, but we got blown out by the weather (typical), so now we have a 10-day window from 30th July – this time we are going to do it!

We are setting off from somewhere called Shakespeare's Bay and landing at Cap Ne Gris or something similar in France.

Mark

I love my force fins... but as posted earlier, you either love them or hate them. Glad to hear a deal was made and 2 people are happier for it. Enjoy the Force Fins Redrover
C-Dawg

geez I haven't been to SB in a while... my thread lives on! AND, for those interested, I have not burned my force fins (although they are still in need of a loving home). Went to CSL about a month ago and used the aeris fins and I was much happier... like i said, my FF's are just sittin' around...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom