I'm D-U-N done!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NateSmith

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Finally finished the last of my divemaster requirements (the map) this past weekend. I'm stoked!!!! If you're sitting around procrastinating, stop it!!!! Just get out and finish!!! It's such a relief to finally have this done.

Thank you. I'm very excited.

My instructor told me where to map. I found a point on the beach, and swam out. Took a heading towards the object, then submerged. When I was down I took another heading to make sure that I was still pointed at the object. Then I headed out on a reciprocal heading 100 ft. I noted and marked the depth at intervals along the way. I then headed on a heading 90 degrees from my original for 10 feet and headed back on the original heading. I did this for a 100x100 foot square and when I got out, printed out a Google Maps picture of the area. Used a ruler and put in everything that I'd recorded from the dive. Turned it in on Saturday. Instructor said it was "OK". Not perfect, but he'd accept it.

I see.

Well done. It seems you understand the principles fairly well.

Theoretical question: What would you have done if the dive area were 200 x 200 metres/ 650 x 650 ft (ie. what I would ask a DMC to map).

I'm not pestering you, I'm just curious to hear your thinking. How would you approach mapping an area that large efficiently?

R..

I would have spaced out the intervals and brought more tanks/made multiple dives. I would have marked my end point and direction with a SMB and set of weights, with a rod pointing in the direction I was last traveling in (weighted on both ends).

What about making one or two dives of the designated area for the "helicopter" view first.

Assuming you had done that, what would you do next?

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom