Lessons I'm back; experience of a hacked account

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most like!y not. The hacker probably acquired it via some sort of pfishing scam. Just a guess.

What intrigues me the most is how it started. I am also in the IT field and I want to know. The OP needs to retrace his steps.

The picture in your post doesn't match your SB profile picture.

I don't know where the original is. Looks it's a crop of before I started wearing glasses. Here's one that looks more like me (if that makes sense).

What I don't understand really, how did the alleged hacker hacked your account? Did "he" guess your password or something else?

CB9DFFE1-A890-4A5A-A1A1-31FAB74E92FE_1_105_c.jpeg

It wasn't anything guessable. Had to be one of those 'data leaks' we hear about. IIRC (since my computer and phone logged me on automatically so I didn't have to enter it often), this was an old password I'd used in other places, and had for a long time. Most of my other site passwords had gotten changed over time, as some sites have demanded more complex passwords, etc...

The Chairman assigned me a temp., and I've already changed it to something unique and complex that nobody (including me) could guess.

I have in the past. I don't know of any active ongoing ones.

It is possible that the password was harvested from one of the other sites, which may not even be active anymore. Once a hacker gets a username and password, all they have to do is look for that username elsewhere and see if the password works.

All a hacker has to do is Google a unique username and see what other sites turn up.

Use special software to come up with very strong passwords and to store them. There are many that are free on the internet. One is keepass that is able to generate a 256 bit password for example. TFA is a good thing too.

Aside from the "too good to be true" price, this was the proof for me:

This is none of your business.

I have well explained to you that my Paypal account is closed.

Then come take it by my side.

I just put the necessary proof above, man.

You idiot.

I have never known @drrich2 to be rude in any way. Would you like me to add a Moderator Alert to the posts in your name that are hacked/hijacked? I think there is some value in leaving them there for other members to read.

Back
Top Bottom