I'm an instructor, I'm planning a 7'ish yr working-vaction, and I'm looking for location ideas!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a brief google search revealed numerous PADI centers in both FP and Madagascar. So that information is incorrect also.

The diving in French Polynesia is all about the Tuomotos - Dolphins, masses of sharks, great hammerhead mating aggregation, whales - unfortunately you will not be able to secure work there as you are not French and there are no loopholes. Also FP adheres to CMAS certification not PADI so without being a CMAS certified instructor and marrying either a Polynesian or French citizen - you're out of luck. I rate the Tuomotos as probably the best diving in the world.

Madagascar - nice for a topside visit, diving is Ok, Did not see any Americans working anywhere - all French due to Madagascars prior status as a French overseas protectorate. Also most dive shops close during cyclone season. If you tried to work there you would probably be paying more in bribes weekly than you would earn and be prepared to be kicked off the island or imprisoned according to the polices whim. It is not a politically stable country, expect military coups and be aware that lynchings have and do occur should you upset the locals. Madagascar is also CMAS.

PNG - LOBs that are in business have local Papuans working on boats, there are no "resorts" offering courses due to regular tribal violence - Tawali got hit again yesterday with all guests "kidnapped and robbed" Which is unfortunate because I'd rank PNG as the best diverse diving in the world. You'd stand a better chance of securing work as a private security agent than in the diving world if you are ex military - if not, forget that too. Even in the capital Port Moresby you do not venture out of the expat gated communities without a PSA and if you do drive you keep your car doors locked and do not stop for police because they are just as likely rob you as the locals. The two supermarkets are surrounded by barbed wire fences and the security agents will only raise the boom gate to let one car in at a time.

Solomons - Uepi is amazing diving but again, very little job options as they are quite hard to get to so there is no great volume of divers so I'd imagine the owners would have little interest in an "outsider" rather than a known person who has a relationship already established with them.

Tonga - whales are about it - not a lot of reef and whale interactions are done snorkelling not diving.

Indian Ocean - Maldivian political situation is dodgy but I haven't dived there so cannot provide any info on the employment of foreigners situation. Thailand you would be working illegally but plenty of people do it between "crackdowns" - either marry a Thai or have a Thai business partner if you want to be legal.

Raja Ampat/Komodo - guides are all Indonesian. If you have experience as a Liveaboard cruise director you may stand a chance but the process of obtaining a KTAS to work legally there is quite lengthy.

Sorry to rain on your parade. I do know of a job going in Vanuatu - pretty pedestrian diving but Vanuatu has a foreign affairs/aid relationship with Australia so all the non Ni Van people on Vila and Santo where diving is are Aussies running the operations.

Not sure if there is any diving there but American Samoa may be worth a look. Guam as a US Territory may also be an option and there is good diving there.

Good luck!

I didn't say there were no PADI centres I said they adhere to the CMAS system - topdive and 6 passengers in FP are US centric, I was just giving you a rundown of my personal observations of being in those countries diving there.

There are cruise directors on LOBs in Raja who are Americans - find out what steps they went through to get their KTAS, it's possible but a lengthy process. Or, work illegally. Phillipines is full of US industry staff, that's another option for you.

There's a Facebook group Dive Jobs worldwide, perhaps post there and see what responses you get.

Try Lord Howe only a 2hr flight from Sydney Scuba Diving | Lord Howe Island
then you can eventually head back to mainland Australia and choose from any state to dive/work/party

In my experience, within Raja Ampat or similar regions of eastern Indonesia, a PADI instructor will find it difficult to get hired as an assistant cruise director on a LoB without local experience. An instructor should be be able to get a KITAS, with sponsorship at a land-based resort. There a numerous job postings on social media. FYI, in general, dive guides are almost always Indonesian citizens on LoBs (in Indonesia). One suggestion, start learning to speak Bahasia.

I just spoke to a FP dive shop directly. The daunted, horrific “CMAS conversion” exam — she said its easy, it takes 20 minutes and you dont even need to study for it. Then she said American instructors get visas and work there “all the time”?

You said it was impossible to work there right? 80% of what you said I know is inaccurate. 15% of what remains I’m assuming is as well.

Not sure what you’re motivation is for exaggerating and spreading misinformation to discourage. But thanks.

I didn't say there were no PADI centres I said they adhere to the CMAS system - topdive and 6 passengers in FP are US centric, I was just giving you a rundown of my personal observations of being in those countries diving there.

There are cruise directors on LOBs in Raja who are Americans - find out what steps they went through to get their KTAS, it's possible but a lengthy process. Or, work illegally. Phillipines is full of US industry staff, that's another option for you.

There's a Facebook group Dive Jobs worldwide, perhaps post there and see what responses you get.

I know an American who has worked as an instructor in Indonesia in the past year. He speaks only English and had no trouble getting work.

In my experience, within Raja Ampat or similar regions of eastern Indonesia, a PADI instructor will find it difficult to get hired as an assistant cruise director on a LoB without local experience. An instructor should be be able to get a KITAS, with sponsorship at a land-based resort. There a numerous job postings on social media. FYI, in general, dive guides are almost always Indonesian citizens on LoBs (in Indonesia). One suggestion, start learning to speak Bahasia.

I know an American who has worked as an instructor in Indonesia in the past year. He speaks only English and had no trouble getting work.
Of course,there are exceptions, but speaking the local language helps. Imagine teaching in the USA and only speaking German. I wonder how he communicates,with the dingy drivers, the dive masters/guides, etc.

I guess enough locals and almost all dive staff speak english well enough.

I was told that all DMs in Indonesia are Indonesian, by law. But that almost ALL of the instructors are foreigners.

Completely contrary to the misinformation posted above.

Of course,there are exceptions, but speaking the local language helps. Imagine teaching in the USA and only speaking German. I wonder how he communicates,with the dingy drivers, the dive masters/guides, etc.

Since you are a PADI professional, you can also go to the PADI Pro site and take a look at the classifieds for jobs. New jobs all over the world are being posted every day. There are currently 279 job postings.

I guess enough locals and almost all dive staff speak english well enough.

I was told that all DMs in Indonesia are Indonesian, by law. But that almost ALL of the instructors are foreigners.

Completely contrary to the misinformation posted above.

As I posted earlier, dive guides are all Indonesians, instructors are a mix of expats and Indonesian locals. PADI and many resorts are trying to certify Indonesian instructors, so they are not so reliant on expats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom