I'm a rec instructor. I want to be a tec instructor. No tec experience. I'm gonna need your help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe

Registered
Reaction score
1. Feel dumb because I used "search" thinking this would have been covered. Didn't find much. If I missed some good threads, please point me to them.

2. Padi OWSI for ten years. Bored. I need a new challenge. I want to go from tec zero to tec hero in the shortest time. Meaning one course after another as much as possible so I don't have to take unnecessary time off and I keep travel cost low. I want to avoid the take one course, come back next month for next course schedule. I don't have tech experience beyond chatting with a few tec divers on boats.

3. Pros and cons of various agencies. Which is in the most demand for employment?

4. List of courses from start to finish. PADI is Enriched Air, Enriched Air Instructor, Deep Instructor, MSDT, Tec 40, Tec 45, Tec 50, Tec Deep Instructor, then TriMix, Sidemount, Gas Blender, and CCR... Do I have that right?

5. Gear upgrades? More regs? BP/W? What else? Any specific recommendations?

6. Suggested locations or specific dive centers? I can go worldwide.

7. How long will this take? How much will it cost?

8. I'm the type that likes to get the texts months ahead of a class and read the hell out of them before I show up. What could I start reading now that will help me excel at this?

9. What else can I do to be an excellent student and an excellent instructor?

10. What questions have I not thought of yet.

THANK YOU.

Zero to hero OW instructor is a bad idea. What makes you think zero to hero tech instructor is a good idea? Sounds like you have no other reason to do this other than being bored. No long term obsession like I've got with Great Lakes wrecks or other friends with caves or whatever it is.

I'm just getting into tech - and there is no way I'd take a class from you. No tech diving experience, yet you want to be a tech instructor?

9. What else can I do to be an excellent student and an excellent instructor?
Spend ten years tech diving, do 100 dives a year in all environments, and then maybe become an instructor. Right now, you would be a useless tech instructor, whether you hold all the cards or not.

Just learning how, and then diving, will cure your boredom. You may even decide not to become an instructor.

Oh, by the way, I'd be very skeptical of the quality of any tech instructor trainer who took you on to do your zero-to-hero track.

We have a lot in common. You have a long term obsession, and I'm starting my 40th year of diving! But maybe you misunderstood. I've been an instructor for ten years because I love diving. But I'm bored with the same sites and the same protocols, procedures, same equipment, same colleagues every day. I love diving so I want to learn more and find new challenges. I was a zero to hero OWSI instructor. I had been an Open Water Diver for about 20 years. I loved it so much I wanted to learn more. So I did AOW and Rescue on one holiday, then booked consecutive DM and OWSI courses. And it worked out great! I thought I made clear that I'm interested in expanding my present career. But that won't be possible if I have to buy a Transoceanic plane ticket every month for one 2-3 day course after another. There is nothing wrong with taking them back-to-back any more than there is something wrong with an Open Water Diver taking a DPV course and a photography course and a Nitrox course on the same holiday.

I am not saying I want to be an instructor without experience. That's what you got from my questions about how I can get experience? Weird because my questions were all about how to get experience. You seem to think the experience comes first and then the training. Is that how you did it? You did a lot of tec diving without training, then took the courses? How did it work out? Is that what you recomend?

Are you saying you had a long term obsession with diving before you learned to dive? Weird that you think the long term obsession comes first and the training comes after. How can I develop a long term obsession with tec diving without taking these courses?

Thanks for your help.

Spend ten years tech diving, do 100 dives a year in all environments, and then maybe become an instructor. Right now, you would be a useless tech instructor, whether you hold all the cards or not.

Just learning how, and then diving, will cure your boredom. You may even decide not to become an instructor.

Oh, by the way, I'd be very skeptical of the quality of any tech instructor trainer who took you on to do your zero-to-hero track.
A

A thousand dives to become an instructor? Hmmmm. That doesn't sound normal at all. A THOUSAND?

I think the magnitude of your question may be leaving people with little to recommend on the Instructor part.

There are many threads on becoming a better (or a) tech diver. I would read several of them.

Then revisit becoming an instructor of that same material. Needing Nitrox, and being unsure if you will need a BP/W suggests you may have a lot of reading ahead of you. Collect some bios of the teachers recommended in threads. Compare their backgrounds, and look at creating a similar background of diving experience.

A

A thousand dives to become an instructor? Hmmmm. That doesn't sound normal at all. A THOUSAND?
No, not a thousand to become an instructor.....a thousand to become a really good tech diver. Then more to get the instructor credentials.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom