I'm a noob who just acquired a Galileo Luno...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

learn all you can about deco diving.
read the user guide
read the user guide
read the user guide
read the user guide
read the user guide
read the user guide
read the user guide
read the user guide
read the user guide
read the user guide
read the user guide
read the user guide
read the user guide
read the user guide
read the user guide
read the user guide
read the user guide
read the user guide
read the user guide

So I gather I should take a peek at the user guide..........

Ideally you should have done that before buying the thing. For shiggles, after you read the Luna's manual, read a Shearwater Petrel manual or an Atomic Cobalt manual.

Did you purchase the Luna new or used? I have had a Luna for approximately two years now and I am happy with it. However, I was able to purchase it used from the Classified section here. If I were to pay new price, I probably would have went with something else.

Congrats. It's a nice computer. I've got one, but I just replaced it with a shearwater petrel. There is lots to love about the galileo, and a few things not to. I'm sure you'll be happy with it for a long time.

It's far more intuitive than the petrel, but there are a handful of features you'll need to read the manual to understand.

It's far more intuitive than the petrel, but there are a handful of features you'll need to read the manual to understand.

You've obviously dove both, so I'm sincere in asking...what exactly is more intuitive about it? The only thing I've found that's more clearly laid out and easy to navigate than a Petrel is a Cobalt, and that's skipping over the weird gas switching rules on the Cobalt.

There are some things about the Petrel that either have their subtle significance buried in the manual (like why is my gas selection suddenly yellow?) or are features I didn't even catch after reading the manual closely (like wait, I can go to Dive Planning during a dive and see all currently called for stops?!)...but in terms of just setting it up and diving it, the OC-Tec Petrel seemed a lot easier to navigate to me than the SP computers. I've never tried the OC-Rec version, but it's got to be even simpler. If one were to leave it in CC/OC, or fail to learn how gradient factors work, then the Petrel becomes a more confusing beast to be sure. But I'm not sure I equate more simplistic conservatism with more intuitive...and there's always VPM.

+1 on everything about reading the manual.

You have a great computer that will grow with you, as far as you want to take your skills in diving.

I also really like the Luna (my wife has it, I have the Sol).

I would agree with Dr. Lecter that for more complex dives (way beyond "noob" stage) the Luna requires more pre-dive set-up than something like a Petrel, but during actual dive operation, once properly set up, I find it intuitive, VERY well laid out in terms of the information, and easy to read due to the size. I also like the gas integration for the data I learn from it (but you should always dive with a back-up spg). Its electronic compass is the best compass bar none that I have ever used (including my beloved Suunto SK7).

The Luna is also highly configurable with multiple possible alerts/alarms, and multiple possible display layouts. This can add complexity to the set-up depending on how many of these you want or don't want (you can turn many of them off, as well). However, you can go with the standard settings and be just fine. As you get more experience, you can fine-tune the settings to your dive preferences.

I sum, like the others, I would say good choice that will last you a very long time.

Oh, read the manual read the manual read the manual!

You're the same noob that got the S600/MK25, so you are doing pretty well, I would say. That reg is a top breather (wife has it, I have Apeks and I think hers breathes a little better).

Thanks guys, I've been tooling around with it and reading the manual. I hope I get a bit of one on one with my instructor through the next couple weeks as I go through my OW so I can really buckle down on the basics of this thing.

Back
Top Bottom