I'm a Newbie... Gear questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jham2081

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am recently OW certified 22 yr old male, and have visited my LDS to inquire about buying my own gear. Can you guys give any helpful suggestions pertaining to the quality of gear listed as well as the price i was quoted?

Dacor Falcon - $380
Genesis GS2000 - $350
Octo - $100
Dacor Darwin Consol - $400

I also need to buy a wet suit, but definately want to find one that fits well. In my rented gear i used to get certified it probably took me 5 -10 minutes to squeeze into the suit they gave me :).

Also, if i want to buy online, which seems to be the cheaper option, how do i know what size BC to get? Is there a formula based on chest size or something?

Also, when buying regs (and any other equipmentthat uses hoses) online, do the hoses come with the gear, or is that how they get the price lower, by making you buy the hoses extra?

I'd sure appreciate any help or suggestions you can offer.
Thanks!
Jason

I never used Dacor gear but the prices seem high. You may want to check around for online sources and use this as a bargaining chip with your local dive store. You may also want to check out Scubatoys.com.

I am not sure where you live so you may want to check out other local dive stores. They may have a better selection.

If you are ok with the total price of the package, you may want to look at a backplate and wings setup. There are multiple threads on the topic here.

My advice is be patient and become better informed. This board and the deco stop are great places to learn.

As for the BC sizing, you can look at the size chart and order from there or try on a number of BC's and order the one you like online or see if the LDS can come close.

Thanks alot! I also thought the prices were high.. i've spent many hours searching online, and found i can get things cheaper than what my LDS is offering.

I live in a country town in Ohio, so there is only one real LDS. I did go to college in TX, so i bought my personal gear at Scuba Toys. I am pleased with their service.

Any other comments or suggestions, anyone?

jonnythan:
Whereabouts do you live?

somewhere around 2 hrs north of columbus and 2 hrs south of cleveland... middle of amish country if you are familiar with that.

jham2081:
somewhere around 2 hrs north of columbus and 2 hrs south of cleveland... middle of amish country if you are familiar with that.
How far from Mansfield? My wife grew up there.

-Rob

I rarely go there, but its probably within an hour drive.

hope you don't mind me being vague... nothing personal, just isn't wise to give up exactly where one lives :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom