I'm 99% convinced I'm going to learn to dive on a choptoima. Convince me I'm wrong.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VikingDives

Mostly Harmless
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Like the title says... I'm leaning towards the chop.

I like the simplicity of the kiss, but I am hundreds, maybe 1k+ miles from shallow caves. Most of my training is going to be in deep cool water.

I'm also partial to the jj.

The only no-go for me is bm doubles style valve drills. I don't have the mobility

You're not wrong. Many people dive and enjoy Choptimas. Also, most new CC divers won't know how to evaluate a unit without CC experience. All commercially available rebreathers are quite capable of sustaining life under water, so your choice is a matter of preference that... is hard to have without experience. Hence, go diving!

Enjoy your Choptima and let us know how it goes. Cheers!

You're not wrong. Many people dive and enjoy Choptimas. Also, most new CC divers won't know how to evaluate a unit without CC experience. All commercially available rebreathers are quite capable of sustaining life under water, so your choice is a matter of preference that... is hard to have without experience. Hence, go diving!

Enjoy your Choptima and let us know how it goes. Cheers!
But if you were to say I was making an uninformed decision it would he because:

I wish I had done some try-dives before purchasing a Chop a few years ago. I ended up selling it and crossed over to a BM unit and have not looked back. It wasn’t a bad unit, just not ultimately what I wanted. I much prefer the WOB of BMCLs and like to have a clutter-free chest.

I like the simplicity of the kiss, but I am hundreds, maybe 1k+ miles from shallow caves.

What are you implying here? KISS (you didn't mention which one) isn't soley designed for 'shallow caves'. Having spent sometime w/ another diver using a chop in mx in shallow caves he had a bit of a fight w/ the unit due to the depth wanting the PPO2 higher at shallow depths where yes a mCCR is easier. In fact our instructor had converted his eCCR to an mCCR. Given the limited amount of information in your post it would be difficult to recommend any unit.

Me personally I intended to sidemount cave dive in shallow and deep caves so the sidewinder has worked out great.

You don't define what your goals are (deep wrecks, mexican caves, shallow reefs, getting an RB to impress my clientele. etc.) That will make a difference in recommendations.

However If the choice is between a Chop or a JJ (or a Meg) I would go with the JJ/Meg 100% of the time

Back
Top Bottom