Im 6'7 (two meters) Anything I need to know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tracydr:

funny enough, that disparity is me (6'-7"), and my wife (5'-2"). Got a chuckle from you writing it...

I'm a tall guy as well( not quite 6'7" though), and I came to talk about wetsuits too. I have a hard time finding one "off the rack" that fits comfortably, or at all, but ever since I did I try to let other guys know. O'neill is the go-to brand for tall gents in my experience. practicaldiver.com has a good write-up on them.

I'm tallish (Was 6'7 at one point, but with back curving a bit more, discs compressing etc I lost a few inches). But I have lucked out that I live in FL and usually just dive a Shortie.

As Rhwestfall said, and others echo it, and I will too: Go BP/W and the DSS will be well worth it. Some say you can do OW with off the shelf stuff, I tried but couldn't really since the stuff fit so poorly I spent more time fighting the gear than in the water to do the cert dives. For my cert dives only gear I bought was Transpac and wetsuit. And we only bought the wetsuit because when I signed up for classes checked to see if they had some in rental that fit, and they didn't.

Hello,

Im getting my OW in October in Thailand. It will be my first time diving.

I was wondering if I need to know anything before hand since I am 6'7. Will there be any problems with gear or anything because of my height?

Thanks very much for your help!

I'm 6'6", and the most difficulty I have is with booties. My shoe size is 13, not so bad, but the selection of booties to fit me is limited. Typically I need size 15 or 16 booties -- they are just not sized like shoes are.

Also if you go to a smaller place, e.g. Saint Eustatius, great diving but no wetsuits to fit. Not all XXL wetsuits will fit me. And no rental drysuits actually fit me.

I also use air like crazy so I'm always looking for larger tanks which are hard to find when renting.

- Bill

Duck for power lines!

PS: Get larger tanks, I bet your breath volume will be larger than of others.

In order to enjoy diving one needs to be absolutely as comfortable as possible underwater - go custom on wetsuit - you will not regret it. Son diving since age 11, now 6'8", on his 4th custom 5mil suit as tall torso/arms/legs and thin. Regret not starting him with BP/Wing as would have saved ton of money as he outgrew several BC's. Now has a tall/Large that fits well. Due to comfort underwater, uses less air than most on the boat including guides! Most people of his height do not need warnings about overhead environment on boats or airplanes!

I am 6'8" so I totally understand the challenges you are facing.

I use a Zeagle Stiletto, and it works for me pretty well. I have an XL shoulder piece and L chest piece (tall and skinny...). The modularity helped a lot. I got certified with rental gear, and it was a challenge. I am pretty much perfectly split between torso and legs. If I had a longer torso than I do, I think that the BP/W would be the only option. While I still have a long way to go, my bouyancy improved about 1000-fold when I got the Stilleto from the rental gear because none of it came close to fitting properly.

For fins, I use Turtle fins. I have size 15 feet, so that was a challenge. My booties are from Pinnacle. I have never been able to rent fins anywhere I have been, so this would be my biggest recommendation as far as gear goes before heading to Thailand. Ripping your feet apart on fins that do not fit on day one of your certification course would be horrible.

My wetsuits are custom made. I think that is probably just a reality of life for us at this size.

Good luck. The gear is a challenge, but it is surmountable for people our size. And getting in the water has been a dream come true for me.

Back
Top Bottom