Illness on Roatan/Honduras Mainland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubado

Reaction score
Apparently Air Transat out of Toronto has cancelled all further charter trips to Honduras due to illness experienced by tourists. They were using Fantasy Island on Roatan and Barcelo on the mainland. There has also been continuous rain which may be a contributing factor to increased illness (bacterial/viral?).

Does anyone have the scoop on this?

Hi all, first time posting to this board, but I was there when this happened! Sorry this is long:
This happened during my stay at Fantasy Island, Jan 25-Feb 1. We were doing our final dive Friday Jan 31 and a group of Canadians who had just arrived Thurs joined our boat. After the dive ended and we got back to the resort, one of the DM's got on the boat and announced that all Canadians were leaving Sat Feb 1. Of course this was news to everyone and all of us were just shocked. They were able to do the second dive at 11am and then that was it for them. I questioned them, because they were talking in French, and all I was able to learn is that some people had gotten sick and the tour operator was pulling ALL Canadians out of Roatan and it was being closed as a destination to Canadians from that point on.

That evening in the main building, we were able to get the scoop. The Canadians had a big meeting that night at 7 with their trip reps and of course they were all in the bar afterward taking last-minute advantage of their all-inclusive drinks. The pissed off drunk Canadians were only too happy to share their awful story! The deal was: The group of Canadians staying at Barcelo resort were the ones who got food poisoning--there was talk of supposed washing of the fruit in the pool, meats sitting out too long and being undercooked, etc (all hearsay--nothing confirmed). The guests at Barcelo had been there only a few days, all of them were violently ill (that WAS confirmed) and called the tour operator demanding to go home. Well hearing this, the tour operator decided to send down a big DC-10 and bring ALL Canadians home at once, no matter when their departure date was. The couple I talked to was supposed to stay until Feb 10! Long story short, they had no luck dealing with the Canadian embassy from Roatan and basically they all had to leave Sat with only an offer of a night or 2 in Cancun at a 2-star hotel and $500 back on the total trip cost. Small compensation for losing out on an entire vacation!

I should make it absolutely clear here that NO Canadian guests staying at Fantasy Island got food poisoning--it was only the guests at the Barcelo resort. Fantasy Island did their best to help out with the last-minute arrangements and even offered some, if not all, Canadians a voucher for a free stay on their next visit. Canadians basically now have to book through the US if they want to return to Roatan unless another tour operator steps up to the plate. The whole deal stinks and even all of us from the States were up in arms over this situation. I think this was a rather extreme action on the part of the Canadian tour operator especially since no one from any other resorts in Honduras had a problem! There was talk of suing the tour operator, contacting embassy reps and other things in an attempt to get proper compensation for losing out on the trip, money and time. I haven't heard an update since we got back, so if anyone else has any details on the progress of this case, I'd be interested in hearing about it!

Thanks for the explanation: I have a trip booked in three weeks and started to freak out! I am a Chef by trade so food safety is very important to me-maybe Ill have a look around the kitchen and see for myself..? Thanks again for the details:mean:

Fantasy Island was very meticulous about cooking the food--some things they almost bordered on over-cooking, just to be extra safe. They changed out the pans regularly--they just put some out then refresh as needed, rather than letting it sit out. We ate at the resort for most meals but did venture to 2 restaurants outside of the resort and had no problems whatsoever. I would think you would have more problems with the tap water than the food down there. Just drink bottled and you'll be fine. Fantasy Island serves purified water from the big water cooler jugs at mealtime (I saw them myself), or you can order bottles for an extra charge. I wish I were going back! Sigh...

Thanks for the clarification CXG much appreciated! I will be staying at the COCO view resort on the south side. Got some new gear( bc,reg & comp) and cant wait to take them for a spin! AAAAGH -its going to be long two weeks-I hate waiting for the fun to begin!:diver: :diver:

I've heard great things about CocoView too except there have been some recent reports of tummy troubles from CCV guests. Just don't drink the water from the tap and you should be fine! I'm so jealous--I wish I were going again soon! Make sure to post a report when you get back....and HAVE A BLAST!

I recently booked a week at CoCo View in early April. Yesterday I got my new issue of UNDERCURRENT. It has a BIG Thumbs Down for CCV about the turista issue. Many reports of sickness.

I just sent them an email asking if they are doing something about it and will report any answer. I am very concerned about having my big week ruined.

Drewpy will you post what you think of their food safety and how your week went when you come back? I would love to get an opinon from a chef !

GB

you can read my observations in a post I did last night about our recent trip but basically I saw no indication that CoCoView has any problem greater than any other resort I have been to in Cozumel, Bonaire or Roatan with regards to intestinal illness induced by conditions at the resort ... as I said in my referenced post ... there are things one can do to minimize the risks but in general I always get a slight touch of GI distress over a weeks time in a foreign country and try to be careful and prepared ...

I saw nothing at CoCoView that leads me to believe they have a specific or atypical problem ... and I didn;t see any indication of such with any of the other guests.

We were there 2/8/2003 thru 2/15/2003

Bade

over new year's. So far as I know, only one guest got sick, her traveling companion did not. Hardly an indication of a problem. Despite many attempts to destroy my stomach with Salva Vita and Advil, I was fine and did 23 dives. By the way, CCV gave everyone two free days, including meals, during the airport shutdown. My feeling is that Undercurrent stuff is a hatchet job.

I agree with leadweight. I was at CCV the week of Jan 11. I can recall only 2 people that had stomach problems and it only lasted one day. We also spent 2 extra days there due to bad weather and the staff at CCV was absolutely terrific! No extra cost to us for lodging or food.
We've already got plans to go back next year and I can't wait!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom