I'll be diving in Hawaii soon!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LonghornDiver

Registered
Reaction score
We'll be getting married in Maui in November, and will be doing a couple of dives there and on the Big Island, so maybe I'll get to meet some of you! We'll be there 10/28 - 11/9, in case there are any fun dives going on.

A couple of questions for the locals, if you don't mind. Since we are beginning divers, I've scrapped the Molokini back wall dive and was thinking of going over to Lanai Cathedrals instead. Do you think this dive would be appropriate for someone with 10-15 dives under their belt? Also, which dive shops would you recommend using? I was thinking about Ed Robinson's on Maui and Wanna Dive in Kona.

And a non-dive related one: we'll be staying in Napili, can anyone recommend a good, nice restaurant for our post-ceremony dinner that won't break the bank and that's reasonably close?

Mahalo, and I hope to meet you soon!

If you will be in Napili (West Maui), then Ed Robinsons, in Kihei/South Maui, doesn't make sense for Lanai. I suggest Extended Horizons for the Lanai trips. They leave from Mala Ramp in Lahaina, about 10 or 15 minutes to the south of Napili.

A trip to Molokini crater is still worth the trip, even if you don't do the backwall. Ed Robinson or B&B, both operating out of the Kihei boat ramp would be good for that. It's about an hour drive from Napili, so the 6AM B&B departure might be too early for newlyweds. :)

I don't have any really good suggestions on the restaurant. One possibility is the Gazebo, at one of the condos right there in Napili. An octogon shaped restaurant with great water views of Napili Bay. Not very fancy, but good food.

IIRC, Tim aka "Kidspot" has worked at that condo and could give a second opinion or a better suggestion.

I would suggest looking into Mike Severns Diving... they leave from Kihei as well.

I've had some issues with Ed Robinson's that I can elaborate on in a PM.

What's your Maui schedule like? Your trip falls within the first bit of the month, so you might be there at the same time as the Maui Monthly.

What Charlie said. Another option in Lahaina is Lahaina Divers, according to Scubadiving this month, they rate higher then Ed Robinson's. While they're a good outfit, believe me they don't.

They do however have two nice big, wide 46' Newtons so the ride over to the Cathedrals is generally pretty easy.
I've scrapped the Molokini back wall dive and was thinking of going over to Lanai Cathedrals instead. Do you think this dive would be appropriate for someone with 10-15 dives under their belt?
You probably could, it depends on your comfort level. Couple of things to consider. It can be a little choppy moored there sometimes late morning/early afternoon. So experience with getting back on board a pitching boat might be useful. The dive itself shouldn't be that difficult, typically the DM leads you down to the entrance, takes you in, and helps you out the other way(you'll have to go there to find out what that is...) The bottom floor of 1st Cathedral is about 55' so it's within OW parameters. It is however an overhead obstructed dive, meaning there's rock overhead with just a small opening for light to shine through - that what makes it the cathedral. So assess if you know how to deal with that situation. fwiw, it was my 15th dive the first time I dove there.

One of my more memorable dives in Hawaii was the front side of Molokini. Swim out away from the boat back towards Maui, you may see whitetips resting in the sand and as you go over the staghorn coral in the shallows watch for scorpionfish. A friend of mine was there when a couple of Manta's flew past.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom