ikelite vs Canon Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ocrmaster

Contributor
Reaction score
I am going to purchase a Canon S80 tomorrow.

Should i go with the Canon Housing or the Ikelite Housing?

I have tried the underwater housing of Canon before the buttons are so hard to push.

Is the ikelite easier to use in terms of changing the settings before taking picture?

ocrmaster:
I am going to purchase a Canon S80 tomorrow.

Should i go with the Canon Housing or the Ikelite Housing?

I have tried the underwater housing of Canon before the buttons are so hard to push.

Is the ikelite easier to use in terms of changing the settings before taking picture?
ike-lite ike-lite, the canon housings are said to be good, but not near as good as ike-lite and the warrenty with ike is outstanding and they sooo stand behinde thier product!!!! my opinion and also my experience!!!!

The Ike housings are definitely top notch. They will be depth rated to 200 ft. However, the Canon housings offer great value for what you get.

What is the price difference? I have tried an S-70 in a Canon housing and the buttons were not hard to push, at least no harder than my Ike. I would do a little price research first.

Hard to push? I find that odd. I have a Canon housing (wp-dc50) and buttons were not that hard to push.

Ikelite is topnotch but pricey. Go with the canon if you don't plan to go deeper than 130 ft. With the price difference plus a few dollars more, you can go and have yourself a brand new strobe.

I don't have an s80 but I have (soon to be had) both the canon and ikelite housing for the a620. Can't really tell that one housing's buttons are harder to push than the other. I like the canon housing, affordable and does the job. Ikelite housings are pricier but built like a tank. I would have kept my canon housing except it wouldn't accept add-on lenses so had to get an ike.

A major reason to purchase the Ikelite housing is the adapter Ikelite has for that housing which allows you to use 67mm bayonet or thread on lenses such as the Inon Wide Angle Lens and the Inon Close-up lenses.

price for canon from www.amazon.com is $183.00 shipped
price for ikelite from www.amazon.com is $360.00 ++ shipped.

i hv very weak fingers. :)

i dont think i will be doing tech diving anytime soon. So i guess it will be the canon
housing for now and perhaps a strobe in the near future. But I might try the magic filters before purchasing a strobe.

Diver Dennis

When will be at PG this May again? I would like to get some pointers from you.

ocrmaster:
price for canon from www.amazon.com is $183.00 shipped
price for ikelite from www.amazon.com is $360.00 ++ shipped.

i dont think i will be doing tech diving anytime soon. So i guess it will be the canon
housing for now and perhaps a strobe in the near future. But I might try the magic filters before purchasing a strobe.

Magic filters are good for what they were designed for which is shallow wide angle shots in clear water. They are NOT a strobe replacement.

When you have a problem or question with your housing, who at Amazon will be able to help you out? :wink:

Dave

Is there a less expensive way to get into UW photography? I own a Nikon D70, but can't afford $1200 + for a housing! Do I buy a new camera w/ a less expensive housing option? I've never found a housing for $300, anywhere!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom