Ikelite Vega vs. Sola 2000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been looking at the Sola lights for a while now and just discovered the Vega from Ikelite. Does anyone have any real world experience with the Vega yet or know how it compares to the Sola 2000...other than the fact that it has the same output, yet it's priced cheaper then the Sola 1200. That and it doesn't look like Ieklite offers a hand mount for it.

I actually looked into this a little more. I'm pretty sure burn times were about the same. I don't remember the exact specs, but the Ikelite coverage is 5 degrees wider. The Sola has both spot and flood modes, though. I'm thinking maybe one of each, so I have the Sola to also use as a primary dive light...or if I decide I don't need spot mode, 2 Ike's and a DIY hand mount/goodman handle.

Keep me posted. I'm really liking their price point, and I'm not entirely sure how important spot function is to me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I can relate. Probably going to be next year for me.

Not all of the Sola 2000s have flood and spot modes (mine don't). I've used Sola 1200s for several years and love them. Bought the 2000s so I'd have backup when I needed to send one set in for battery replacement (getting close on the 1200s after a lot of intensive use). Don't know anything about the Ikelite Vegas though.

Thanks Dr. Bill! I didn't realize that. Make me lean more towards the Ikes. Honestly outside of wrecks, caves, or regularly diving in bad vis I'm not so sure spot is a must have for a primary anyway.

I wish there was a beam comparison somewhere. Maybe I'll give backscatter a call.

If you plan on using the lights for photo or video, see if you can find out the in water weight. The closer to neutral the better. You would surprised how much it can affect your shooting. Especially if the lights are extended out on arms.

Ike and L&M probably considered this in their design since they also sell housings, but you never know. Some light manufacturers sell lights only. Buoyancy is not much of a thought for them and some lights are 1 lb negative or more. Try shooting with two of those on arms.

Back
Top Bottom