Ikelite neoprene port cover on or off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divedadepths

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello-

I will be diving with my new ike housing (G10) next week. I was just wondering what everybody does with the little neoprene port cover when on the boat (camera in rinse bucket). My old camera didnt have one, but i always put my camera in the camera rinse tank onboard before departing to keep it safe from damage. Is it good to keep it on to prevent scratches on the port or should i just leave it off? Thanks

Max

I don't normally keep my camera in the rinse bucket because the photo staff here uses padded boxes to protect the gear. When I dive with my own gear I would keep the port cover on in the rinse bucket to protect it. Especially if it will be boat crew putting cameras into the bucket. They are not always careful with camera gear, even the crew I work with. As for what to do with the cover itself, if you don't keep it on the camera on the boat, I would keep it with the rest of the equipment you keep on your boat, or with your dry things. I used to take the cover into the water with me but stopped doing so because it took up a pocket and I didn't want to risk losing it during a dive. Hope this helps.

I keep my cover on the camera at all times, unless I'm in the water. With everything sloshing around in the rinse take, I wouldn't risk not having my lens protected. I do lots of rocky shore entries, so I keep my cover on until I am about to descend. When not using it I clip it on to one of my d-rings.

P.S. I am using the G10 and Ike housing too. Its a great camera and after about 4 dives with it I can say that I am incredibly satisfied with my purchase. You'll love yours.

great- thanks a lot guys. yea i really cant wait to get in the water with it. and i guess that makes sense with all the rocking of the boat and everything. i wouldnt want a crew member to accidently scratch it while handing it down to me or getting it up or anything...

First off KEEP IT OUT OF THE RINSE TANK! I have seen more leaks in the rinse tank than anywhere else. Cameras get bumped around as more cameras are added. Ports get jarred loose, latches get popped open.

I keep my camera in it's own plastic bin when on the boat. I dive with the same boats all the time, and the crews know me and my gear. When I hand it up they put it back in my bin not the rinse bin.

Okay, rinse bin rant over.....what was the question again?

I keep the port cover on until after I am in the water. For my flat port I put the cover in the pouch on my harness. For my dome cover I slip the neoprene up my arm. This way it is safe, out of the way, and ready to put back on when I need it. I put the port covers back on before I hand the camera up.

when i dive in home waters i take my camera on board in a plastic tub (the really useful boxes are superb), if i'm on a RIB i have the lid on it to prevent someone's foot making contact with my camera.

On holiday i keep my camera in a safe place and don't use the rinse bucket, but i do soak the whole outfit in clean water for at least an hour before i take it apart.

I take the neoprene cover off when i tighten the 'knuckels' ready to go in the water & leave it in a safe, dry, place then replace it after i have toweled the housing off after my dive ready for the next one.

at the end of the day i soak it to disolve any crystals which want to form before they start to grow.

I strongly recommend keeping the port cover on at all times and ONLY take it off once you start taking pictures. I usually leave mine off during most of the dive, but as soon as I start my ascent, I put it back on. Here is why: I once made an ascent along the anchor line in a little bit of current, and didn't notice that my port was banging against my harness buckle the whole time on the way up. The scratches it took from that beating aren't horrible, but they did teach me a lesson. As far as the rinse bucket goes, never ever put your rig in there without the cover.

On holiday i keep my camera in a safe place and don't use the rinse bucket, but i do soak the whole outfit in clean water for at least an hour before i take it apart.

Not good advice IMHO. Soaking is definitely good, but I have found that regardless how long you soak the rig, water doesn't go in ALL the little nooks and crannies, especially not the bores around the buttons. Ever noticed how air bubbles come out of there when you push the buttons under water? That means those spaces are airtight. If air can't get out (or in), that means rinse water can't get in either. That's why you should work those buttons for a while when you're soaking the rig in freshwater. Therefore, I strongly recommend putting the camera in the rinse bucket immediately once you come back from a dive. In addition, even if you do get rid of the salt by rinsing it later, salt crystals WILL form in the meantime and destroy things.

I keep it on till I'm in the water, slip it on my arm like fisheye does. Put it back on before handing it up.

When diving off a RIB I carry the camera in a soft beer cooler untill I'm ready to use it. If it's a bumpy ride you can sling it over your shoulder.
Plastic boxes take up too much room.

Never leave the camera unattended in a rinse tank - not everyone cares as much about their gear as you do.

Not good advice IMHO. Soaking is definitely good, but I have found that regardless how long you soak the rig, water doesn't go in ALL the little nooks and crannies, especially not the bores around the buttons. Ever noticed how air bubbles come out of there when you push the buttons under water? That means those spaces are airtight. If air can't get out (or in), that means rinse water can't get in either. That's why you should work those buttons for a while when you're soaking the rig in freshwater. Therefore, I strongly recommend putting the camera in the rinse bucket immediately once you come back from a dive. In addition, even if you do get rid of the salt by rinsing it later, salt crystals WILL form in the meantime and destroy things.

Pushing the buttons, and working all nobs is really important. I do this as it soaks at the end of every day of diving.

I have been fortunate so far on trips that I go to places that have boats with camera tables. I usually go on photography trips where we have the whole boat. That way you know everyone, and they all know they will die if they mess up a camera. I learned early on you don't mess around with someone elses rig.

Back
Top Bottom