Ikelite DS125 vs. INON Z240

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RGist

Contributor
Reaction score
I am struggling choosing strobes for a new DSLR system. I want a quality strobes with fast recycle times and minimal weight. Any suggestions on which one to choose?

The Ikelite is known for it's lighting fast recycle time but they are heavy on land.

I've never had a problem waiting for my Inons to recycle and they are light and small - great for travel.

Don't think you can go too far wrong with either option!

Even though you might sacrifice just a bit of power, I think it is more than made up by:

1. Smaller and Lighter design - with todays airline weight restrictions this is hard to ignore.

2. Uses standard AA batteries. With a Maha charger and 16 batteries you have tons of flexibility and you can always get somebody to help you out if you forgot to bring a few extras. This charger can also charge various other batteries depending on which charger model you pick. With the 125 you need to pack dedicated charger(s) and some big *** spare battery packs.

3. The Sea & Sea sync cords have better history of reliablity than Ike cords.

4. I like the simple engineering of the Inon Battery cap compaired to the Ike design.

Now if you are using an Ike housing with TTL then you might want to consider the Ike product. But I know of many people who have gone from Ike stobes to Inons but I can't say I know anybody who has flipped from the Inon 220's or 240's back to the Ike 125's.

alcina:
The Ikelite is known for it's lighting fast recycle time but they are heavy on land.

I've never had a problem waiting for my Inons to recycle and they are light and small - great for travel.

Don't think you can go too far wrong with either option!

Thanks for your immediate feedback!

I really like the INON's for their size, weight and AA batteries compatibility. I hear that the DS125's have consistent light for macro and w/a. Do you think the INON's are good for both?

Kidsdream, I am leaning toward the INON's and just needed a little nudge. Both of you have pushed me further in that directions.

I just want to make the right chioce the first time.

Thanks!

I think the Inon's work just fine...all shot with a single strobe...

seahorse1a.jpg

cocosredyellowfish2.jpg

occy_yellow.jpg

bubbleshrimp1V.jpg

With macro, you typically don't need more than one strobe. I have two, but turn one off most times. The dual strobes come in more handy for shooting wide angle, especially if you use a fisheye lens. I have owned and used both INONs and Ikelite DS125s and both perform great. I have not noticed any uneveness in the light the strobes throw out, but I do believe the colour temperatures are slightly different. This shouldn't be a big issue especially if you shoot RAW as you can adjust for this. As well, the INONs have the edge as far as batteries are concerned, as Ikes use a proprietary pack and require their own charger, but if you're using Ike TTL, I'd go with the Ike strobes.

Alcina, Let me clarify... I am surprised that your non-macro pictures look so good with one strobe. I am not surprised that you are using a single strobe. I hope that makes sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom