Ikelite DS-125 Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raxafarian once bubbled...
it seemed to work fine.... from what I remember, I had to dial in a -1 exposure, but that was on land testing.

Bear in mind, those ARE ikelite's description of the sea and sea strobes. Just wanted to clarify that. Even the ds-125 will lose 1 fstop with the diffuser to reach 100 deg. coverage. ... but a second strobe down the road might be a desireable addition with any of these strobes.

I have noticed that the cameras flash on land is a bit "hot" and usually knock it down to -0.3 to -0.7 to get a more natural look/lighting

I hear what you are saying about the "comparison testing" nonetheless it is interesting.

and the second strobe ...well for now thats why I'm trying to get the "all in one package"with this strobe…or at least I hope that’s what I get....... I do read alot of great things about dual YS90DX however...

Thanks again

Scott

Finesse once bubbled...
Dee……. have you had any issue with the Sea&Sea not being able to fill a wide angle shot???

I used the lens for the first time at the lake yesterday. No problems that I could see. The strobe has a 105º x 95º coverage and the lens has 100º so the strobe should cover it. After talking to several guys using the S&S WAL and S&S YS90DX combo, they've all said the single strobe covers the WA lens just fine.

I'll let ya see the evidence next week!

The link to Ike's chart of S&S strobe coverage that Rax posted below doesn't cover the YS90DX...just the YS90. Or at least I didn't see it.

You mentioned a built-in modeling light on the Ike. My S&S has one! A small Pelican pen light and a big rubber band :mean: Works like a dream!

I didnt notice that it was based on the YS90 and not the YS90DX!!!

Look forward to seeing the Pics with the new lens!!!!!and I like your modeling light solution:wink:

Scott

Any reason you picked the Sea&Sea WAL over say the Inon lens???

do you know of any benefit of one over the other??? or are they the same and its just a cost factor

Scott

Hi Finesse
I have 2 DS125 and I have never regretted buying them. In terms of user friendliness (is there such a word? :p ) I would say that the DS125 has more to offer than the 2 YS120s I have as well.
Besides the modelling light which I have found to be bright enough to replace my torch for night dives, the 1 SEC recycle time is fantastic especially when I am trying to get an action shot of the fish.
The fast charger works anywhere and takes about 1.5 hrs depending on how much battery power you have used up previously.
The actual design I find is much simpler than the YS120 in terms of cleaning up and battery charging or replacing

Just my $0.02

We have both the S&S DX90 and the Ikelite DS125, and our preference is the Ikelite. Not only is the Ikelite TTL (the S&S isn't) but if memory serves, it has a wider angle of coverage than the S&S. (Don't flame me if I'm wrong.. I'm admitting that it is from memory, ok? :wink: )

We had no problems with alternate voltages or charging when we were in the Red Sea earlier this year.

However, that being said, there WAS a problem with the Ikelites that supposedly has been corrected through new circuit boards. Unfortunately, we haven't had a chance to test out the "improvement" yet, but I assure you as soon as we do it'll be posted here!

Needless to say, now Pearce is looking at selling the S&S & buying another Ikelite so he can have duals. :shaking:

Just my $0.02's worth,

~SubMariner~

SubMariner once bubbled...
We have both the S&S DX90 and the Ikelite DS125, and our preference is the Ikelite. Not only is the Ikelite TTL (the S&S isn't) but if memory serves, it has a wider angle of coverage than the S&S. (Don't flame me if I'm wrong.. I'm admitting that it is from memory, ok? :wink: )

~SubMariner~

But it's just a minor correction! :eek:ut:

The S&S YS90DX duo strobe does have a TTL setting...it just can't be used with digital cameras.

Comparing our memories....I *think* the S&S strobe has a 105º coverage and I don't have a clue what the Ike strobe has.

Either strobe is good, just different bells and whistles.

Sillago and SubMariner

Thanks for those recommendations.....

From what I have read and heard those circuit board problems are a thing of the past .... I hope ...... Now it seems my biggest challenge will be getting a hold of one of these things in the next few weeks..... as they seem to be on backorder !!!!

Comparing our memories....I *think* the S&S strobe has a 105º coverage and I don't have a clue what the Ike strobe has.

Either strobe is good, just different bells and whistles

Dee ... Well put !!!! the angle of coverage I believe is about the same ..... and your right... its all about bells and whistles

Scott

The angle of coverage for the Ikelite DS125 is 90 degrees. With the difuser on it is 100 degrees. The difuser is also 1 full f stop, so you would have to shoot f8 instead of f11 etc.

oh yeah...I almost forgot...while trying to figure out which strobe to use for which setup (WA vs cloesups)..I did a couple of test runs using WA (15mm) and DS125 then WA YS120 then closeup (105mm macro) DS125 and closeup YS120.
I found the most pleasing results to be WA with YS120 and closeup with DS125. Both setups with dual strobes each time. I guess for me it's just a case of using the faster recycle time of the DS125 for zippy litter critters and even slightly larger zippy creatures :) which I might have to "hunt" to get the picture, whereas pictures taken with the WA and YS120 is usually at my own time when I can picture exactly what I want in the shot and not worry about the strobes not recycling in time.
I found that both brands were just as effective for burning out the retinas of subjects I was aiming at :) so GV is not really an issue. But the aiming light of the DS125 was a real plus in my books.
Cheers

Yeah I know about the back order...it took me a while to get the strobes but was and I think still am the only person outside the US to get them which I must attribute a lot to ikelite whom I found to be great to deal with!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom