Ikelite DS-125 Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finesse

Reaction score
What's the good (or bad) word on this strobe.

What's the real world experience out there??? I've seen alot of info/specs on the different strobes, but want to know if you’re pleased with its operation/performance??

As posted in another recent thread about strobe use with WAL .....I've been informed this is the strobe to use(as Ikelite strobes go) to ensure the strobe "fills" the picture (short of dual strobes)......originally was looking at the DS-50 but again was told that for WA shots I might be disappointed with the coverage (again.... would need two). This info came from Ikelite direct and two independent dealers carrying various brands of strobes.

Thanks for your help!!

....I went with a Sea & Sea YS90DX for several reasons.

1) I have been using S&S products from the beginning and I trust the quality and dependability.

2) The lack of TTL support wasn't a big deal to me, I never used TTL anyway! The power settings available on the strobe and the ability to see the pic when I take it allows me to make the needed changes to get the results I'm looking for.

3) I liked the 12 power settings available on the YS90 vs 4 on the Ikelite. This many levels over a 3 f/stop range is alot of control. Also makes those artsy-farty shots possible!

4) The fiber optic connection of the YS90 is simple. For the DS-50, there is a sensor that is aimed at the internal flash from the side and you have to change the diffuser panel on the housing to one that blocks the internal strobe. Too much hassle! Look ar the photo in the last post HERE to see what I mean. In fact, read that whole thread, it will answer some of your questions.

5) You can hot wire it to a housing, slave it, or slave it through the fiber optic cable...versatile for future housing/camera usage. also the slave sync is built in, not another piece of equipment to pack and maintain.

6) Relatively small and packs easy, uses AA batteries vs. Ikelites battery pack. AA batteries are available around the world if something happens to that battery pack. I can get 2 dives shooting 75+ pics per dive on one set of 1800 NiMH batteries.

7) Recycle time is great and I haven't missed a shot yet because of it.

The new Ikelite digital strobe had some initial trouble with sensor chips in the strobes. Ike is known for his excellent customer service and worked with his customers to correct and repair the strobes. But I didn't want the hassle of returns and waiting for fixes. As far as I know all those first run strobes have been repaired.

I'm extremely happy with mt YS90DX and have no regrets.

are you using?

If you need a preflash... see above. If not, then I like the ikelite SS200. Plenty of coverage, and balances good with a ike 50 for a second/fill strobe.
Has built in modeling light which is brighter than a C-4 dive light... I use it as my night dive light... just carry a small backup.

To me, the battery pack is a plus. Comes with a 'smart'charger that plugs into any voltage... charges in around 2-3 hrs. Lasts 2 night dives with modeling light on constant.

No TTL, Dee? Problems with it? or just like the manual thing? I have approx 2000 u/w pics from 2 dive trips with my camera... was very happy with the TTL.

The only good feature that made me consider the ds-125 was the 1 second recycle... the 200 recycles in a couple of seconds from a full discharge... I've found that I have yet to take a pic where I needed that fast of a recycle. The charger that comes with the 125 is not compatible with foriegn voltages.

Be aware... the SS200 is a good sized strobe.

ps... the SS200 utilizes a sync cord... your camera must have a sync cord connection to the housing, and then use a sync cord from housing to strobe. I'm not impressed by any of the 'wireless' strobe firing methods.

I'm pretty sure Finesse has a digital camera.

No TTL because I learned with out it. So never having depended on it, I'm comfortable with manual settings. But even those times I use A mode, I preview the shot and adjust the strobe. Of course, that's with a digital. If he's talking film camera, none of the above applies except S&S quality and the YS90Dx can also be used with a sync cord and film cameras.

Dee

Many good points (I know we've talked about this before :)) and that thread ....Well I almost have it memorized...... You had mentioned that site to me once before and I have spent alot of time reading over there....great resource!!! It seems to me that over on that site you have the Sea&Sea strobe people and the Ikelite people both with great arguments for their products....just wish there was a clear cut winner for my application.

raxafarian

The camera is an Olympus 3040 and a soon to be Ikelite housing (primarily due to the depth rating ). I do plan on using the TTL function on the strobe as I will not be the only one using the camera( my better half has expressed interest but only in a point and shoot type scenario)....hence the leaning towards the Ike product. Question about the charger … Ikelite claims that the charger can be used for “ traveling divers” as it is compatible with voltages from 100-240

As far as the sensor/preflash problems I feel confident that Ikelite has rectified those problems ...I was given a lengthy explanation of what had occurred......and was assured that this would not happen with the strobe. I think I like the rechargeable battery as it would seem to give more battery life.

Additionally I like that the Ikelite has a built in modeling/aiming light that can also be left on during use ......esp. for night dives.

Just don’t know what to do…..but I only want to do it once……..

Dee……. have you had any issue with the Sea&Sea not being able to fill a wide angle shot???

ok... I was thinking that the 125 does not come with the smartcharger... it does work with foriegn voltages... but it is a slow charger.

Dee... I knew it was some type of digital... was wondering which camera to determine if it was one with the 'evil' preflash method of TTL.

I've never seen a Sea and Sea strobe... so I can't comment on them. I went with ikelite strictly because my nikon does not need preflash, and because that was the housing I have... Plus they are made in the US. (that should get some comments :D )
People seem to get decent results with the sea and sea.

Do you have a wide angel conversion lens ? If not... you don't need to worry about strobe coverage... they will all pretty much cover what your camera will see... even at it's widest.

What's the depth rating of the sea and sea? I saw that you mentioned getting the ike housing because of depth concerns.

Raxafarian

I would assume that the YS90DX would equal or surpass the depth rating of the housing (again I ASSUME THAT :wink:)

I've been leaning towards this combo for reasons mentioned above but also I have found that Dealers that Have the Ike housing also have the Ike strobe .... I've not been able to mix and match .... Although I'm sure they are out there.

WAL …. Will get either the Inon UWL 100 or the Sea & Sea WAL

The other dilemma is the power of the strobe . I have read and heard that the label claim doesnt necessarily match the actual output. Case in point the DS125 = 110 watt/S YS90dx=60 watt/s and the DS50 meets the label of 50 watt/s. If this is true then the DS 125 would be almost twice as powerful. Again I've read or been told that it would be more appropriate for Wide angle situations using a single strobe...... Macro I assume they all would work well.... IF THIS IS NOT THE CASE SOMEONE PLEASE INFORM ME WHAT IS APPROPRIATE...

Cost issues would seem to be a wash as the Ikelite is expensive but it also comes complete and from what I’ve seen the Sea& Sea does not (DS 125 comes with charger/arm system/ modeling light/TTL slave sensor) whereas the Sea&Sea's I have seen are Ala carte at a minimum needing a fiber optic sync cord and an arm system.....albeit I'm not sure of the cost of these items

Size wise I think they are pretty close

The charger thing.....they have two different ones I assume they both can handle foreign voltages???

Thanks for the help
Scott

I can't find the info on the charger... I believe that it works on foriegn voltage.... just takes 6 hrs or so to charge.

Have you seen these pages?
comparison chart

sea and sea wide angle coverage

I had the ds-125 for a short time. It seemed like a quality piece of gear... But the way the ike nikon housing utilized a deflector inside the housing to bounce the internal flash up to trigger the strobe was not well designed for the Nikon 995.... I DO NOT know how the olympus housing is setup ... the problem I had with the nikon was that the flash deflector glued to the top of the housing partially covered the nikon's flash sensor... resulting in underexposure. After talking to ike and repositioning the deflector, it worked fine, but the tolerance between covering / not covering the sensor was too close for my comfort. That's why I went with a standard strobe/ttl cord setup.

I do NOT think the olympus has a flash sensor in this position... but again, I don't know how that camera works. Maybe shoot ike an email and ask 'em.... or somebody here can jump in.

Those links are great .... one of the U/W camera dealers gave me those #'s now I know where he got them:D

The other charger was a quick charger for the DS 125 I think 1.5 hours.....

The flash deflector was what Dee was referring to earlier....Looks like a piece of Teflon that covers the flash from outside of the housing ..... I think there was a version at one time that had an internal deflector... I'm not sure how the YS90DX hooks it sync cord to the housing ..... I think it similar to a deflector in that it has to cover the onboard flash to eliminate backscatter and I think the Fiber optic sensor is attached to this cover???

Besides the deflector issue did you like the function of the DS-125 strobe while you had it???

it seemed to work fine.... from what I remember, I had to dial in a -1 exposure, but that was on land testing. Never had it in the water. Nice small package for the power it has. The smartcharger is a nice upgrade. I don't remember the modeling light being too bright... but probably enough for autofocus in the dark.

Bear in mind, those ARE ikelite's description of the sea and sea strobes. Just wanted to clarify that. Even the ds-125 will lose 1 fstop with the diffuser to reach 100 deg. coverage. Any strobe will work for macro... and the 125 is probably ok for wide... but a second strobe down the road might be a desireable addition with any of these strobes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom