If you're thinking of going dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those that ask, most of the better known drysuits are more or less just fine......better to just take the plunge then hold off trying to figure out which model will minutely be better then the next...all the while you will be uncomfortably cold diving while you're making up your mind.

Talk to people when you see them in drysuits on the boat, ask them what brands and types they have used, and what were the differences. I can't recall anyone ever telling me they thought their drysuit was lame.

Rick Inman:
Nice post.

Just a couple of weeks ago, Im sitting on the side of the charter boat in Hawaii after the night dive, the boat speeding along over the chop, spraying gallons of water onto us... And I'm freezing cold in my 3/2 wetsuit with hooded vest, thinking, Hawaii or not, I wish I had my drysuit!

I can certainly agree with this as well as the initial post!
I just returned from Egypt. 74 degree water. Dove my 7mm. The first 50 minutes of each dive were fine. The final 15 minutes got a little cool and the windy surface intervals had me feeling like a fool for leaving my drysuit at home. Surface temps were also in the 70's.

Especially when my buddy was warm and dry :14:

Next Time!!

Unsung benefits for drysuits...

1. Boat spray doesn't affect you. Throw a ballcap and sunglasses on and you are nearly impervious. :wink:

2. Cold rainy days and packing up the gear. Just leave on the drysuit and rinse it with the rain.

3. No more cold clamy wetsuit to put on after the surface interval.

4. Depending on your undergarments, you can just take off the drysuit and go. I wear fleece under mine most of the time, and if it is a chilly day, I can just take off the drysuit and jump in the car an go.

5. Warm day + cool water. I'll take a drysuit over a 7 mil farmer john any day of the week. I used to struggle to get the 7 mil on and start to overheat.

6. Cool/Cold day. You are still warm when you take off the drysuit. No need to run indoors to change. No more cold wind against your skin when peeling off the wetsuit.

7. Easy on, easy off. Showed up to the quarry and had to set the float. Pulled the drysuit over my shorts, t-shirt and cell-phone in the pocket. Set the float. Got out of the water, dropped the drysuit and I am in my shorts and t-shirt. I had to check to see who called during the dive since my phone was ringing when I was tying the float.

Everybody has a different idea of "toasty". I am rarely "toasty". About the only time is when I am in 85 degree water in my 3mm!

When the water is 37-40 degrees, like it was for me this last weekend, I am good for about two dives, then I notice a drop in my core temp and I call it quits. This is in a DUI TLSse with thinsulate and polypro under that. It can certianly catch up with you, just like a wetsuit in much warmer water. We just need to be aware of the signs.

CCRDiverDave:
VetDiver, you should enjoy your suit, when we're 70 we may not look so athletic, so better to take advantage of it now! lol

Hey, speak for yourself!!! They say you can tell what will happen to a woman's athleticism and figure by looking at her mom...well, you should see my mom - she is 66, a triathlete, and totally amazing!!

(Just excited to have a suit that doesn't make me look like a planet. Because I am shallow that way.)

CCRDiverDave:
For those that ask, most of the better known drysuits are more or less just fine......better to just take the plunge then hold off trying to figure out which model will minutely be better then the next...all the while you will be uncomfortably cold diving while you're making up your mind.

For me the key though was, "I'm not married to the thing". If it's not the perfect solution I can always move on to another. Whatever extra that costs me will be justified by the interim comfort. Sure it's nice to nail every gear choice 100% but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom