If you weren't addicted to diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
... what the heck would you do with you yourself?

Someone asked me this the other day. So far, I haven't come up with much of an answer. Tried golf. Stupid. Used to run a lot. Everything hurts now. Ride a bike? Meh...

I'm in my 43rd year of diving. It's not only what I do... it kinda defines who I am to some extent. All of my leisure time is consumed with diving. (A little for skiing in the winter.). I have a second house in Tobermory, just so I can dive every weekend. ALL of my vacations are dive trips. South. West Coast (twice this year). East Coast. A different Great Lake.

My FaceBook Memories are literally "You went diving with bla bla bla..." Again. Clearly, I am not living a "balanced" life, but I'm OK with that!

I kinda got to thinking I should have a Plan B. Although I don't really know why.

What about you?

Someone asked me this the other day. So far, I haven't come up with much of an answer. Tried golf. Stupid. Used to run a lot. Everything hurts now. Ride a bike? Meh...

Still cycle, but really just to stay in shape for diving. I get it!

I have generally 3 vices. 1 being Scuba but only just getting myself setup for local diving.

2. Vinyl and vintage audio - modded a vintage turntable as well as modded a valve preamp and an old amp (Can an amateur upgrade a PL-518? | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums)

3. Motorbikes - I ride a dirt bike but also have been building a custom bike for years now (An Idiot, a CB400F Super Sport and a Journey To Creating a Custom Cafe Racer)

Attachments

• IMG_0988.JPG
    IMG_0988.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 59
I used to mountain bike, but I got injured a couple times in a row due to parts in disrepair, inadequate safety wear, and riding beyond my abilities! I was short on the funding required for the first two causes.

Now, I have the funds, but I spend that time diving. If I couldn't dive, I think I'd get back into riding again, albeit with a more mature and less reckless attitude.

Snow skiing has been my primary trips for years. Used to make weekend trips to Whistler B.C. with friends at least 3 times a year in college. As the trips shrunk down to 1 a year, I needed to find something new so that all my leave wasn't just visits home to see family. Now I've added scuba to fill the gaps during the rest of the year.

First and lifetime love, motorcycles. Enduro racing, sport touring, adventure rides...have had nearly every brand and style.

Golf when the back is feeling it.

Flew in my late 20's and 30's waiting for that special lottery ticket to return to it.

I used to have motorcycles, mountain climb, played semi-pro baseball and softball, basketball with other gym rats and run. I've given all that up for diving. It's my drug of choice.

Back
Top Bottom