if you dont feel cold are you safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i dive in the philippines. been just using a 2mm vest and lycra pants for diving. honestly im fine but after two weeks after of diving i have been getting fever consistently two weeks in a row. is it the suit? just becasue i dont feel cold does it mean im getting adequate thermal protection?

I think you are fine for cold but I got a feaver a few months ago after a dive. My sinuses were infected a bit and I developed a small summer cold. Any possibility of sinus infection or viral sickness or bacterial infection. I'de touch base with DAN on this just to be safe.

I could never get an answer to if it was the water (possibly contaminated after a rainfall) that caused my fever.

ScubaSarus:
I think you are fine for cold but I got a feaver a few months ago after a dive. My sinuses were infected a bit and I developed a small summer cold. Any possibility of sinus infection or viral sickness or bacterial infection. I'de touch base with DAN on this just to be safe.

I could never get an answer to if it was the water (possibly contaminated after a rainfall) that caused my fever.

two of the same buds i dive with are fine. started ever since i retired my full suit not to mention the stings i have been getting from aquatic plants.

I don't know about the fever, but just because you don't feel cold does not mean you are warm. There is such a thing as warm water hypothermia. The body looses heat slowly over repeated dives and the shivering response of the body is not triggered. If the water temp is lower than your body temp you are losing heat.
Joe

Spoon:
two of the same buds i dive with are fine. started ever since i retired my full suit not to mention the stings i have been getting from aquatic plants.

The stings may be causing an immune system reaction, which could cause a fever, depending on how extensive the area of the stings are.

On my last trip to Cozumel, I got a tiny cut on a finger, and it led to swollen lymph nodes, and slight fever and chills :). It's amazing how the body can react sometimes!

- Dr. Mikki, PharmD :)

Sideband:
I don't know about the fever, but just because you don't feel cold does not mean you are warm. There is such a thing as warm water hypothermia. The body looses heat slowly over repeated dives and the shivering response of the body is not triggered. If the water temp is lower than your body temp you are losing heat.
Joe

very possible as the effects of warm water hypothermia are cummulative. im very curious although my local dan rep said he knew nothing of the sort of hypothermia occuring in the tropics.

mikkilj:
The stings may be causing an immune system reaction, which could cause a fever, depending on how extensive the area of the stings are.

On my last trip to Cozumel, I got a tiny cut on a finger, and it led to swollen lymph nodes, and slight fever and chills :). It's amazing how the body can react sometimes!

- Dr. Mikki, PharmD :)

you know what it could be possible there are too many factors such as the cummulative, repetitive dives without adequate exposure wear, lowered immune system, sore throat and even those aquatic plants.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom