If you are flying Delta during the week this off season check your reservations!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

judydivescoz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just did my weekly check of my existing Delta reservations and found that the return flight for my Cozumel vacation in August originates in Atlanta. Called and was told Delta just pulled the plug on Monday-Friday flights to CZM from ATL. Never got an email with that change although I did get one letting me know my outbound flight departure time changed by 3 minutes. Geez! I did not want to overstay my welcome with friends and extend to the next weekend(leaving earlier is out of the question) so I opted to fly home via CUN. Not to horrible. Delta did compensate me for the inconvenience. If mid week Delta flights to CZM are in your future, check your flight to make sure it still exists!!

Just checked mine for July 26-August 3 and they still seem to be fine. I'll definitely keep a close eye, thanks for the heads up! Glad you at least got compensation from Delta for your inconvenience.

Is it bad when Delta lets you buy 4 tickets, but one segment only has three seats? Well I will stand if that is what it takes!

(July 24- Aug 1)

Last edited:
Makes sense. CO is pulling a lot of their flights, so why should Delta bother to compete anymore. So the overall damage will be at least twice as many flight options gone and they'll of course be able to charge more for the few flights remaining.

Thanks for the heads up.

Looks like our Tuesday/Wednesday 8 day trip the week after next is still on track but I'll keep an eye on it.

Just did my weekly check of my existing Delta reservations and found that the return flight for my Cozumel vacation in August originates in Atlanta. Called and was told Delta just pulled the plug on Monday-Friday flights to CZM from ATL. Never got an email with that change although I did get one letting me know my outbound flight departure time changed by 3 minutes.

On a similar note.. I planned a trip from Phoenix to Long Beach for the big Scuba Expo over the weekend (6/4 and 6/5) booking through US Scareways because they flew from Phoenix to Long Beach Muni airport. So I got everything together, booked my flight, booked my hotel, paid for my bag online, bought my Expo tickets, got ALL confirmations, boarding pass, etc. planning on spending most of the day Saturday at the Expo and all day Sunday taking in the exhibits and seminars (I bought the expensive seminar tickets).

I got up at 4:45 am to catch the 7:00am shuttle from Prescott to Phoenix (another $60.00) for the early flight to Long Beach, all excited to see all the nifty exhibits. I checked everything over from my 3 days of preparing for the trip and headed on out.

I got to Phoenix and went to US Airways to check my bag and when I scanned my boarding pass it said "FLIGHT CANCELLED". I got a ticket agent and they checked and gave me the old standby "Mechanical Problems" but said there was another flight to Long Beach in 5 hours (actually 6 because I was there an hour early). That meant sitting at the Phoenix airport for 6 more hours. I asked if they were sure that the later flight would be going and not cancel out because of mechanical problems and they said ??????????? NO !!

So I stood there knowing that if I waited for the later flight it would get me in to late to go to any of the Saturday events and then I wondered if I would get stuck in Long Beach on the trip home. So I opted to cancel the whole trip rather than take the chance of waiting only to have the second flight cancelled and/or getting their late and loosing all of Saturdays seminars I had planned on going to. I asked what they would do to compensate me and they said "NOTHING" except give me my money back for the flight and I could apply for the baggage fee through the web site.

So I am out the whole Expo. The hotel would only give me credit for one night since I was within the 24 hour cancellation rule, I lost the cost of all my Expo Tickets and the $60.00 shuttle ride. But if I had waited and the second flight was also cancelled I would have lost both nights at the hotel as well as all the other costs.

I figured that if this would have been a week or longer dive vacation or another type of vacation I would have stuck it out but it just wasn't worth the hassle for a trip that was now knocked down to one day and then take the chance of problems heading home and have to add up more costs (like renting a car and driving up to LAX to get a flight home).

Even as much as we are getting screwed by the airlines day after day I try not to let it get to me.. but now when problems happen they just shrug their shoulders and say "nothing we can do". I was told that if I didn't like it I could go on the web site and email or write to their customer relations department. I asked for a phone number so I could talk to a real person and they said.. sorry, no phone.. just email or write and wait for them to reply. I asked how long that would take and they just shrugged and said I would have to go to the web site to find out.

I still don't know where to go to get my baggage fee back, can't find anything on the web site.

BUT !!! When I got home in the middle of the day there was a phone message telling me that my flight had been cancelled. According to my machine's time stamp it came in after the flight was scheduled to leave. Even though they had my email address for my iPhone to send me ALL my flight info, bar code boarding pass, seat assignment, etc. They called my home number after the flight was supposed to leave and left me a message that it was cancelled.

What a way to screw up a great weekend !!

I do have to admire your dedication. I almost went to Scuba Show this year, but since it is an hour's drive, well...

And thanks for scaring me about US Air and Phoenix. We're flying through there in 9 days en-route to IAH, thanks to the difficulty of using air miles. I was already ambivalent about flying US Air again after a flight attendant told J to keep me in line or she have me arrested on my last flight with them.

Yikes. Well, I stuck my nephew with the no seat, seat. I bought the ticket, so he can stand! Its on the way back, so let 'em cancel it, I'll go back to the condo, drop the bags and go to WWs.
I did notice the all the legs are on the MD88 except that last on on a Can CRJ900 from Pinnicle? Couldnt find a seat chart that matched to help pick the seats, but it didnt matter, I guess, as there were only 3 seats for the 4 of us.

Yikes. Well, I stuck my nephew with the no seat, seat. I bought the ticket, so he can stand! Its on the way back, so let 'em cancel it, I'll go back to the condo, drop the bags and go to WWs.
I did notice the all the legs are on the MD88 except that last on on a Can CRJ900 from Pinnicle? Couldnt find a seat chart that matched to help pick the seats, but it didnt matter, I guess, as there were only 3 seats for the 4 of us.

I think they always plan on some cancellations so it seems these days airlines overbook. Over Memorial Day weekend, I flew to Jackson, MS. As usual, the flight was overbooked and asked for volunteers for a price to be driven to another airport and fly. Since I would actually get in earlier, I volunteered. The flights at the new airport were also overbooked and had long waiting lists. After an hour of negotiation, the gave me a boarding pass with a seat! Arrived in Jackson over 6 hours late because of weather in Atlanta and got more compensation for that. In the long run, it might have been worth the effort, I got enough so buy a ticket to CZM in January. The point of the story is that if the airline wishes, and you are a nice pain in the ass, you will get all your seats on the plane I was amazed at how easy it was for a supervisor to get me that needed seat on a very overbooked plane.

Just did my weekly check of my existing Delta reservations and found that the return flight for my Cozumel vacation in August originates in Atlanta. Called and was told Delta just pulled the plug on Monday-Friday flights to CZM from ATL. Never got an email with that change although I did get one letting me know my outbound flight departure time changed by 3 minutes.

While looking at Dept. of Transportation website for ways to help me resolve my US Airways (Mesa Air) trip last weekend I found an interesting pdf file of stats from DOT on all kinds of airline problems.

What was most interesting though in looking at the percentages of luggage problems, flight delays, flight cancellations, over booked flights (oversales), etc. etc. the airline that seems to be on top (or the bottom, depending on how you want to look at it) is Delta Airlines. It looks like they want to be at the top of the list in just about all categories.

US Airways is bad enough.. but I sure am glad I don't have to fly Delta, they look like one of, if not "the" worst U.S. airlines out there.

Isn't it fun to travel..

Here is a link to the DOT list.. The first page shows the categories listed in the report so just go down the list (it is very long) and find the category you are looking for (baggage, cancellations, etc).

http://airconsumer.dot.gov/reports/2011/May/2011MayATCR.pdf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom