If I DON'T want back inflate...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When diving with cameras, I use a SeaQuest Pro QD+.

Build quality is excellent. It's well designed for the way I dive. I wasn't a fan of integrated weights before, and this BC changed my mind.

I'm 6'2", 190 lbs and use the ML size. Very comfortable.

All the best, James

Since I want to try them before I buy them, I'm a little limited with my choices.

My normal LDS only carries Zeagle, Mares, Aeris and Dacor..they just started carrying DUI, but didn't have anything there at the time.

Since it's winter, and business is slow, stock is kind of low, so they didn't have any Aeris in stock at the time, (mostly the other three) but I was told that they are going to get a few within the next week for me to check them out.

So between those choices, the Zeagle and Aeris are very appealing from what I've been reading around the board. (and elsewhere) I was leaning towards those two brands for the most part from the beginning (as well as Mares, but I've not heard many good comments on them, so that's been discounted) Aeris is a newer product line for them, and they just didn't have anything in stock yet. (mostly computers) The Zeagle (Escape) was the front runner, but I wanted to throw out the question on the jacket styles.

Keep the comments coming!

I just picked up a Sherwood Avid and think it is just great. It has plenty of D-rings and other attachment points a new weight pocket attachment system the make the pockets easier to put on while wairing the vest. My favorate feature is comfort in the way it tends to open up when inflated rather then getting tighter around the ribcage like my old BC (Dacor Nautica).

I like my sherwood avid BCD as well. It's proven itself to me so far.

Another brand with a good reputation for jacket style BC is Buddy (A.P. Valves). I have heard good things from my friends in England but I'm not sure if Buddy BCs are sold in the US.

www.apvalves.com

I'll be the first to admit that I don't have much first hand experience with jacket style BCDs, but have some. I have never heard any one who uses a Scubapro Glide Plus on a regular basis complain about it.

That being said, I think the Scubapro Classic Plus is a great timeless design - fairly common with our staff, as well. I think of it as the hogarthian harness of the jackets... simplistic, streamlined (for a jacket) and dependable. Although not a big fan of them, when I see divers with a Classic Plus, AIR 2 and hoseless computer, I have a hard time not considering that stream lined.

Seaquest ProQD+. Excellent jacket BC, but mine collects dust after only diving it 5 times in fresh water because someone suggested I try out his BP/W for a dive....:eyebrow:

Almost all BCs are very reliable, comfort is what you want, on the surface, on the bottom and not really on land so much. you need to try them in the water

When you try them on, try this: inflate the completely and see how much it squeezes your sides. Some BCs can really squeeze you making it very uncomfortable and others inflate outward so there is no squeeze.

After trying lots of BCs, both jackets and back inflations my son liked the sherwood best. But now he wants my BP/W setup.

TT :wink:

Buoyant1:
My current thought's have been checking out the Zeagle Escape, but wanted to see what some jacket options were.

NOW you tell us!

You do know that the Escape is back-inflate? You just flipped this carefully kept-on-track discussion on it's head. :wink:

And I wholeheartedly endorse the Escape over the jackets, and especially over the Aeris!

theskull

I am a back inflate kind of guy but I've been lucky enough to try out many different types of BCs. Here are the ones I have had the most experience with and like the most

Scubapro Glide Plus- A few of my regular dive buddies dive this model and this is probably the best seller of the shop I work for. It is your standard front adjustable model with weight integration, 2 standard pockets and a cummerbund pocket. If I had to dive a jacket style this would probably be the one I would choose.

Sherwood Avid- Another good one. This is a softpack model which I am not usually a fan of however I really enjoyed this one. When I certified one of my best friends and he was looking to buy gear this was the model I steered him towards.

Scubapro Classic-This is the model I grew up with. My father has been diving for almost 40 years and he swears by the ol' stab jackets. I used one from age 13-18 and I don't think you could ask for a better made BC in terms of comfort and durability. It's available in a stripped down model that is closer to the original mid-70s Orange Monster (first jacket BC) and a higher end model with weight integration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom