Idiot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

farrakhan

Contributor
Reaction score
Quick question.

I did some diving about 72 hours ago. This morning I woke up and my left hand was a little numb. I'm probably being paranoid but is there any possibility of Type I DCI occuring this far after the diving. We were carrying twin 100's over rugid terrain so I figured all the soreness was just from the exertion. A quick run down of my profile. Friday - 1 Dive 31 meters for 36 minutes.
Saturday - 1 Dive 44 meters 40 minutes - 2nd dive 34 meters 31 minutes - 3rd dive 31 meters for 40 minutes all with roughly 2 1/2 hour surface intervals.
Sunday- two dives to 40 meters with 4 hours surface interval.

What are the chances??

farrakhan:
Quick question.

I did some diving about 72 hours ago. This morning I woke up and my left hand was a little numb. I'm probably being paranoid but is there any possibility of Type I DCI occuring this far after the diving. We were carrying twin 100's over rugid terrain so I figured all the soreness was just from the exertion. A quick run down of my profile. Friday - 1 Dive 31 meters for 36 minutes.
Saturday - 1 Dive 44 meters 40 minutes - 2nd dive 34 meters 31 minutes - 3rd dive 31 meters for 40 minutes all with roughly 2 1/2 hour surface intervals.
Sunday- two dives to 40 meters with 4 hours surface interval.

What are the chances??

I'll take a shot at this for you, but first I will make my standard point that, while I am a trained Diver Medic Technician and familiar with DCS symptoms and treatment, I am not an MD.

I would highly recommend that you contact DAN on their emergency number, even if you do not have DAN insurance. You can get excellent advice there.

Having said that, I will venture the opinion that, given the time elapsed from diving to symptoms, it is highly unlikely (not impossible) that it would be a manifestation of DCS.

The problem with a simple statement like that, however, is that DCS is NOT a simple subject. The only certain test to rule out DCS is the so-called "Test of Pressure". This is a simple procedure in which the patient is re-compressed in the chamber. If the symptoms reduce or disappear, one can be rather certain that they are DCS related.

The problem with your case, however, is that with the passage of time, any bubbles causing problems will have dissipated. The damage to the body will not, and the processes the body uses to defend and repair itself will continue.

Again, this does not constitute a diagnosis. Call DAN, or discuss it with an MD who is trained in Hyperbaric Medicine.

Good Luck!

Rob Davie :doctor:

Here's a thought. I use twin 95's. In all that lugging around the tanks did you feel any tingling in your shoulder or do you have any bruising there? All the nerves that feed the hand run throught the shoulder. You could have squeezed a nerve against the bone very easily.

Something to think about.

Thank you both for the quick reply, i've spoken with DAN and the hyperbaric unit and they both agree that with the time elapsed it is highly unlikely that DCI is the case.

Thank you again.

Is it still numb? You may have just slept on your arm the wrong way. :D

DAN stated what my thought was also.

Most likely a musculoskeletal problem associated with carrying loads. The problem was far removed in time from depressurization. :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom