IDI Power fins vs Scubapro Jetfins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kinetic

Registered
Reaction score
I went to a LDS and they told me IDI sold the design to Scubapro. Anyway, can anyone tell me the differences between IDI power fins and SP jets (with the lightning bolt)? The LDS is selling IDI at half the price of SP.

I would suspect that your LDS is full of it. Scubapro has been making jet fins for many, many years. Probably before IDI was in business. I haven't verified my statements, but those kind of remarks always put me off. Jet Fins are great fins, I've never used a fin that works better. Just my opinion and like everyone, I have mine.

I think 1965 was the year scubapro started putting out jet fins?
It's around that year anyways! Nobody was using that model before!!
Rick L

I have both fins in front of me: I have Jetfins; my husband has the IDI powerfins. They are NOT exactly alike! We both love our fins, but here are the differences:

1) Jetfins have "jets" vents for water to move thru.
2) Powerfins are longer & a little less stiff.
3) the rubber on the powerfins are thinner on the footpocket.
4) The powerfin says "made in Mexico;" my jets say "made in the USA." Sorry; I'm a union worker. I'll pay more to support american labor. He's a scab & does not care.

"I'm a union worker. I'll pay more to support american labor. He's a scab & does not care."

So I take it you drive a Toyota or Honda vs. a Chevy or Ford that is Hencho en Mexico...

I compared the two a while back and I saw the same differences noted by Art. Chick. I also noted that the compound used by Scubapro has a faster "snap" and would appear to be more energy efficient (less energy needed to "reset" the fin when going from upstroke to downstroke or vice versa.)

As for the "union" comment: I got my butt beaten by some union guys when I attempted to question their tactics when I worked in a union shop in Alabama. Alabama was a "Right to Work" state, so I decided I wanted to some answers from the shop steward before I succumbed to the pressure to join up. I got my answer. I was only a teenager and I simply wanted to know why I wasn't allowed to "do" certain jobs when I had the chance and the skill (and no one else seemed willing) and why certain workers were highly paid but did little work at all.

My feelings about unions and union thugs are suitable for another forum not this one. But the "scab" term doesn't sit well with me, since that was the term they threw at me most often.

Eventually, the company I worked for was driven out of business by labor costs and illegal labor stoppages.

Labelling something "Union Made" doesn't have much of an effect on my purchase decision. Or maybe it does, but not the effect intended.

Just my 2 cents
i was at a LDS a few day ago looking for the smaller size Scuba Pro twin Jets and the Kid who was helping us said " Scuba Pro no longer made the small size twin jet but I could buy the small Jet fin and split it my self" I think he was offended with my reply, i have been diving with a Scuba Pro fin for thirty plus years ( more than 5,000 hrs bottom time I still have my first pair of jet fins and they are as good as new still i switched to the twin Jets about 10 years ago and like them even better, and i agree that the spring strap is a very smart upgrade and worth the money i have replaced the strap on both pairs now the new fins are for my new girl friend who will start her OW1 class next week

---------- Post Merged at 08:06 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:02 AM ----------

I'm looking at an XL "Jet Fin" next to an XL "Power Fin." They are very different. Neither is a clone" of the other. They both have vents. The PF is 1 inch shorter than the JF and narrower. The PF has much larger vents. The paddle face on the PF, measured from bottom of vent, is 3 inches shorter than the JF. Except for the vent and blackness, they don't look that much alike. Subjectively, the PFs feel more slippery. Oh yeah, They both have "MADE IN U.S.A." molded on them.

Good luck with that union experiment...........it's almost killed itself.

I compared the two a while back and I saw the same differences noted by Art. Chick. I also noted that the compound used by Scubapro has a faster "snap" and would appear to be more energy efficient (less energy needed to "reset" the fin when going from upstroke to downstroke or vice versa.)

As for the "union" comment: I got my butt beaten by some union guys when I attempted to question their tactics when I worked in a union shop in Alabama. Alabama was a "Right to Work" state, so I decided I wanted to some answers from the shop steward before I succumbed to the pressure to join up. I got my answer. I was only a teenager and I simply wanted to know why I wasn't allowed to "do" certain jobs when I had the chance and the skill (and no one else seemed willing) and why certain workers were highly paid but did little work at all.

My feelings about unions and union thugs are suitable for another forum not this one. But the "scab" term doesn't sit well with me, since that was the term they threw at me most often.

Eventually, the company I worked for was driven out of business by labor costs and illegal labor stoppages.

Labelling something "Union Made" doesn't have much of an effect on my purchase decision. Or maybe it does, but not the effect intended.

I am not pro union, but I do believe we should buy American. We went to war in 1776 so that we could use our resources and our skills to make our own products, and England was forcing a Globalist mandate on America at the time....that the raw materials etc had to be shipped across the sea, and we could buy the finished products later from overseas.
Today, greed in high places and Television and general Media has created a tightly controlled propaganda machine....and it has caused most Americans to embrace the low prices they think are part of buying imports....As we lose more and more jobs, as more and more American made products are made elsewhere, we are left to become a nation of "service people" that handle paperwork or manage, but still a people that will not be manufacturing much at all....all while we lose our agricultural base at the family level. This is how a nation can be driven from prosperity to indentured servitude, and from being self sufficient, to being parasitic or reliant on others.
Globalization is the lie....Buying cheap cars from China or Korea or elsewhere has been the honey required to convince Americans that they should give up their own future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom